Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm struggling as well. 10 days post op today & am not getting anywhere near the 60 grams of Protein goal. Every time I try to drink a Protein Shake I dry heave, gag, and/or throw up. I bought the Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel last night & suffered threw about 7 ounces this morning before I started gagging! Hey, that's progress! I'm only eating about 1 ounce at a meal so there is no way I can survive this way......At a loss for what to do.

I'm struggling as well. 10 days post op today & am not getting anywhere near the 60 grams of Protein goal. Every time I try to drink a Protein shake I dry heave, gag, and/or throw up. I bought the Syntrax nectar Fuzzy Navel last night & suffered threw about 7 ounces this morning before I started gagging! Hey, that's progress! I'm only eating about 1 ounce at a meal so there is no way I can survive this way......At a loss for what to do.

--

My PA also suggested the whey protein bullets and sunkist bullets for easier protein intake. I may try the sunkist version (25g per bullet) soon

It will get better for us with time I'm sure

I am just so frustrated with the lack of energy at 15 days post op ... I have so much I want and need to get done but little energy to do it all

Prior to surgery I started my days at around 7am and didn't get home until 9 or 10pm with work obligations, running errands and workouts -- I hope I can get back to that level of energy soon

I was spinning 2-3x per week and walking/jogging 3-4 times per week ... I miss those days but hopeful they will come back; I'm only 31 and feel like I should have much more energy at this point post op but can't beat myself up cause I did have 2 surgeries at the same time (VSG & hernia repair)

I'm struggling as well. 10 days post op today & am not getting anywhere near the 60 grams of Protein goal. Every time I try to drink a Protein Shake I dry heave, gag, and/or throw up. I bought the Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel last night & suffered threw about 7 ounces this morning before I started gagging! Hey, that's progress! I'm only eating about 1 ounce at a meal so there is no way I can survive this way......At a loss for what to do.

I think its too early to count your Proteins as I was advised for the fluids more than the protein the first couple of weeks. I was on a tight schedule of fluids and shake. Just see to that you manage a good urine output at this stage. Then you can concentrate on the prots. Protecting your kidneys should be the main thing. Dont worry.

Sandisleeve...

I'm now 6 weeks post op and was having the same problem you are... My dietician said these totals on Water and Protein were goals and I needed to work up to them... Herbal tea and sugar free Popsicles counted toward Water totals as well and that was helpful... The Protein helps with the healing process and the water helps to flush out the impurities and toxins... I've gotten the water part down pretty good and now I'm working on the protein part and that's coming along... I found the unflavored Protein Powder to be much more flexible in adding to more things... I certainly haven't mastered things yet and I make mistakes with all of it... It feels like and ongoing learning process and things don't always stay the same... I'm learning to be prepared for things to be different every day... Sometimes what works today won't work tomorrow and vise versa... I still get sleepy after I eat and things do t always feel good after I eat... I either fail to recognize I've eaten too much or too fast... I've also hit a stall for 3 weeks now but I'm trusting that too will change!!! Be patient with all of it... You will get there...

Sandisleeve...

I'm now 6 weeks post op and was having the same problem you are... My dietician said these totals on Water and Protein were goals and I needed to work up to them... Herbal tea and sugar free Popsicles counted toward Water totals as well and that was helpful... The Protein helps with the healing process and the water helps to flush out the impurities and toxins... I've gotten the water part down pretty good and now I'm working on the protein part and that's coming along... I found the unflavored protein powder to be much more flexible in adding to more things... I certainly haven't mastered things yet and I make mistakes with all of it... It feels like and ongoing learning process and things don't always stay the same... I'm learning to be prepared for things to be different every day... Sometimes what works today won't work tomorrow and vise versa... I still get sleepy after I eat and things do t always feel good after I eat... I either fail to recognize I've eaten too much or too fast... I've also hit a stall for 3 weeks now but I'm trusting that too will change!!! Be patient with all of it... You will get there...

---

That's refreshing to know. Are you eating most solid foods at 6 weeks out? I hope I can get most of my protein through food sources eventually cause protein supplements are a drag

I know about tea and ice chips counting as liquids thankfully

Good luck to you!

I'm having the same issues. I hate eating. It hurts & there's no joy in it. I am drinking a lot more than I ever have & that has made a world of difference. I used to come home from work with my ankles & feet looking like elephant legs because they were so swollen. Since I've been back to work, I have not experienced this at all!

I love the Crystal Light squirties (like Mio) I have several at my desk. I also like GNC Total Lean Protein Shakes. They have 25 grams of Protein & they don't taste bad. It isn't a chocolate milkshake, but not bad at all.

I think I will try the Isopure, since that seems to be a reasonable way to get a lot of protein with little effort & that's what eating is now, much effort!

I'm glad we are all in this together though!!!

SoBe Lifewater has some cool flavors, too.

Mix it up, try lots of different things!

Good luck to all!!

Better than bouillon is an amazing broth base and comes in a few flavors. Broth can be very easy to get down when other products seem to stick.

Best of luck to all of you!

I am 4 days out and discovered the most amazing thing tonight. I strained the noddles out of chicken noodle Soup and added a scoop of Unjury chicken broth. Everything up till now has been too cold, thick, or sweet. For some reason this combination worked for me.

-Good to know perhaps I will try unjury and better than bouillon soon

Same problem her two surgeries , i am 10 days out nd I had no energy, couldn't get out of bed so i starte drinking broth in the morning yesterday , then Protein shake(muscle milk)(isopure) nd I've had emergy. hope its not temp. but i feel better . hope this helps. it gets better i feel no more pain in my chest (hh) ice chips from Sonic .

---

That's refreshing to know. Are you eating most solid foods at 6 weeks out? I hope I can get most of my Protein through food sources eventually cause Protein supplements are a drag

I know about tea and ice chips counting as liquids thankfully

Good luck to you

I'm at the soft food stage now and that's nice... I have 3 weeks to go before regular food... I'm not sure if you like yogurt but Chobani Greek yogurt had 18g of protein for a 6oz container... I love the cherry... The plain yogurt works great for smoothies... Which were life savers for me... You'll get there!!!

I have been doubling up by using my beverage as part of the Protein. Extreme smoothies have 35 grams per 11 ounce can. The chocolate and vanilla are both pretty good. Also, the Isopure powder has 55 grams per serving. I mix that with Crystal Lite. unjury has a strawberry flavor Protein Powder that mixes well with Crystal Lite lemonade.

I have learned already to be creative. I put the unflavored powder with sugar free Jello. I make Sugar Free Chocolate pudding with skim milk and chocolate Protein powder, and I mix sugar free vanilla pudding with skim milk and orange protein powder - taste like a Dreamsicle. Just use your imagination and double up.

When I can move on to soft foods, I am going to whip up a batch of Peanut Butter balls. I got this idea from the forum. Mix chocolate protein powder with creamy Peanut Butter then roll into small balls. I refrigerated the ones I made pre-op. They tasted like Reese Peanut Butter Cups.

I have even put cheesecake protein powder in Greek yogurt...oh yummmm.

Once you start adding these different flavored protein powders into everything, your grams will start to stack up for the day.