Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are any recent post-ops having trouble taking in adequate Protein and liquids?.... I realize it is like a full time job to be on top of this but it's really a challenge

I'm 2 weeks out with VSG & hiatal hernia repair and simply don't have enough energy to get in enough; my chest hurts when I keep trying to get things in slowly throughout the day

My NUT wants me to get in 50g Protein and 6 cups of Water daily ... I tried thinned out oatmeal with Protein powder and almond milk but it caused so much pressure/pulsing in the middle of my chest --I think I managed to get in all of 3 tablespoons this morning and it took me one hour to consume

I try my best to drink Water but its a slow go even though I love plain water

I mix in my premier chocolate RTD shake with Decaf coffee and that was pretty good but still a slow go

I feel like I need to get a shot for energy every day until I'm able to eat more cause I get so fatigued I end up falling asleep before I get enough in

The past few days I think I've gotten in maaaaybe 15-20g protein and around 3-4 cups of water on most days ... This can't be healthy

I will call my doc office Tomorrow for suggestions but this is a rough go

It is absolutely not healthy. You don't want to get dehydrated and end up in the hospital. Call your doctor's office and get some guidance. Every surgeon is different on how they handle it.

You may need a B-12 shot too.

You're only 2 weeks post op! Let yourself heal beofre you think about hitting Protein goals!

I wouldn't freak. Just do your best to hit your numbers. When I was in post op weeks 2/3 my main goal was fluids. They flat out told me I wouldn't hit Protein goals until week 4 and beyond.

I'm now week 10 and I usually hit protein no problem but I forget to drink.

Also, different liquids still go down different each day. So it's still a bit of a game for me.

Just focus on fluids for now. Mine also counted skim milk as part of my fluids.

Edited by gomekast

When you are on fluids, all fluids count as Water, even your Protein shakes and the liquid part of your runny oatmeal. You can have broth too and it counts as a liquid. Fluids are more important than Protein at this point. You won't starve but you could well end up back at the hospital with dehydration.

Sip just a tiny trickle of Water several times in a row over 20 minutes and you will get down a cup. It is boring but you will get it done without much pain. If your chest hurts you are swallowing too much at once. Just enough to wet your tongue at first and work up.

Hang in there. You will feel like a different person in just a few days.

Thanks everyone!! I will follow through -- I may need a shot cause the fatigue is getting the best of me and hiatal hernia discomfort is no joke .... I can't imagine progressing to soft solids in 2 weeks the way I feel now but I need that energy --- it's a catch 22

I will focus on liquids cause god knows I don't want to make another visit to ER although I did feel great after those bags of IV fluids a few days ago ... Will officially be 15 full days out later today

My NUT keeps insisting I get Protein in even tho I tell her it's tough for me

Can you get the Isopure shakes? They are clear Protein in fruit flavors and ready to drink. Some people say they go down easily and it would be doubling as protein and Fluid. They are a bit expensive but it may be worth it for a couple of weeks.

Can you get the Isopure shakes? They are clear Protein in fruit flavors and ready to drink. Some people say they go down easily and it would be doubling as Protein and Fluid. They are a bit expensive but it may be worth it for a couple of weeks.

--

I have a few I picked up at Vitamin shoppe the other day (yes@pricey) ... I only tried the coconut flavor so far and I reeeeally didn't enjoy the after taste

It does go down pretty easy but someone mentioned that it may be more palatable if I dilute with Water which I will try soon

I have the lemon tea and grape to try

Maybe try something like a G2 Gatorade too. It's really the dehydration that will get you at this point. It makes everything else feel miserable.

For whatever reason G2 is what works best for me, even at this point. It's not as cloying as some of the crystal lights, and it has some electrolytes too.

Maybe try something like a G2 Gatorade too. It's really the dehydration that will get you at this point. It makes everything else feel miserable.

For whatever reason G2 is what works best for me, even at this point. It's not as cloying as some of the crystal lights, and it has some electrolytes too.

-- thanks!! I have to try some Powerade that someone recently suggested as well

I am day 3 post op and have no problems getting liquids in. I have some kind of bottle in my hand 100% of the time. I sip about every minute.

Gatorade G2 is my friend.

Yesterday had 76oz liquid

Today have had 46oz from 5am to 9:00am.

Terrible Protein though. I will be adding a couple of small bottles of the Isopure for 30g Protein in a day. Considering for the first week my Dr & NUT just wanted focus on liquids I am in good shape.

Are you on a PPI? This seems to help keep things calm enough to be sipping all the time without getting nauseous.

Edited by bearman99

Thanks everyone!! I will follow through -- I may need a shot cause the fatigue is getting the best of me and hiatal hernia discomfort is no joke .... I can't imagine progressing to soft solids in 2 weeks the way I feel now but I need that energy --- it's a catch 22

I will focus on liquids cause god knows I don't want to make another visit to ER although I did feel great after those bags of IV fluids a few days ago ... Will officially be 15 full days out later today

My NUT keeps insisting I get Protein in even tho I tell her it's tough for me

Also, try the New whey liquid Protein. You can dilute them in your Water. Each tube is 42g of Protein and they come in different flavors. I call it a short cut because I can get my Water and some protein in by mixing them and adding some Crystal Light or Mio Squirts and just sip on the concoction all day long. You can also make a thin portein smoothie with some Protein powder, water and crystal light or Mio and sip on it. Just make it very thin. Add some Davinic or Torani sugar free Syrup for flavoring if you don't like crystal or Mio.

Hope you feel better soon.

Isopure has several other great flavors try alpine punch and the grape one!

The blue raspberry and the Apple Melon go down easy to me.

I am day 3 post op and have no problems getting liquids in. I have some kind of bottle in my hand 100% of the time. I sip about every minute.

Gatorade G2 is my friend.

Yesterday had 76oz liquid

Today have had 46oz from 5am to 9:00am.

Terrible Protein though. I will be adding a couple of small bottles of the Isopure for 30g Protein in a day. Considering for the first week my Dr & NUT just wanted focus on liquids I am in good shape.

Are you on a PPI? This seems to help keep things calm enough to be sipping all the time without getting nauseous.

--

Yes @ppi (pantoprazole) .. Im required to take 1 per day for 1st 3 months--- sipping/swallowing isn't the problem it's the pain & pulsing/pressure that results in my chest area due to hernia repair after sipping warm/room temp or cool drinks

Spoke to the physician assistant today and she wants me to focus on 50g protein and 6 cups Water per day for energy then schedule to see NUT some time next week

The powerades & Gatorades seem too sweet to me and even a bit carbonated even tho they may not be ... Even tried propel zero Water and same experience

I'm going to pray hard on this and hope the struggle passes quickly

Thanks to all for support and suggestions!

Be well (:

Maybe try Unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder.< /p>

Or, go to Panera bread and buy soup - broth only - this would avoid the sweet problem.