Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anybody experienced social changes after weight loss? I have been at my current job for three years. Clearly, when I was hired I was by far the fattest person in the office. It is a relatively small office of 14 women and one man. I am currently one of the slimmest in the office. Friday my boss had to speak with me about complaints from my co-workers. Apparently, I am "getting on their nerves". They no longer wish to have any conversations with me, about anything that isn't work related. Apparently even the sound of my voice when I am on work related phone calls has become grating. Nothing has changed in the past three years except my weight. Most days on my lunch I take a walk. I don't join in and eat the snack food that somebody brings into the office. I think there are some women that are threatened or feel guilty or just don't like the fact that I am now the size that I am. I think that I am paying a price for weight loss success.

I am emotionally crushed by this. My boss told me that I do my job wonderfully. The teachers that I work with love me. I get my work done and she has no complaints about the quality. In the past, this would have been the kind of thing that would have sent me into a half gallon of ice cream. I have been dealing with it by having some awesome workouts. Just wondering if anybody else has seen social ramifications from weight loss. My clinic warned me about this happening, they have a whole chapter about it in the materials they give out at the first visit. Believe me, it's hard to work in a small office and speak to no one. Makes me more grateful for the love and support of my family though!

you know Baconville I think that has happened to me! My director and I got along with each other well when I was the jolly fat nurse, now that I am slimmer I approached her about some work conditions that I felt were poor and my concerns. Next thing I know I was in a meeting with her boss and hr wth I still the same person, yes I have changed in my appearance so I think that for some that is threatening.

Thank you SO MUCH for your post! I am sorry you have also experienced this, but I feel better knowing I am not alone! I went to my clinic's support group meeting on Tuesday, which is led by one of the clinic's psychs. He told me this is very common, yet I have never seen it discussed on here - and lets face it we usually cover every conceviable problem! When you go from being the fattest in the office - the fat jolly secretary - to one of the thinnest - it changes the dynamic in the office. And its not just work, this can happen with your family or your close circle of friends. In my case, I think I may be making the other women uncomfortable because I always eat a light, healthy lunch (no junk food for me!) and I normally walk every day at lunch. I am told especially women can be feel very threatened and/or guilty. I also think that having the surgery plays a role because as much as we know this is very hard work, on the outside it looks like like the weight has just melted away with little to no effort. Most women struggle with thier weight or body immage all thier lives. Having a morbidly obese woman in the office is one person they can always count on to look worse than they do. Now that this person is gone, I have become a social outcast. I am hoping that in time I will become accepted for who I am now. I promise you I will not be going back to my old role as the morbidly obese woman in the office!

Has anybody experienced social changes after weight loss? I have been at my current job for three years. Clearly, when I was hired I was by far the fattest person in the office. It is a relatively small office of 14 women and one man. I am currently one of the slimmest in the office. Friday my boss had to speak with me about complaints from my co-workers. Apparently, I am "getting on their nerves". They no longer wish to have any conversations with me, about anything that isn't work related. Apparently even the sound of my voice when I am on work related phone calls has become grating. Nothing has changed in the past three years except my weight. Most days on my lunch I take a walk. I don't join in and eat the snack food that somebody brings into the office. I think there are some women that are threatened or feel guilty or just don't like the fact that I am now the size that I am. I think that I am paying a price for weight loss success.<br><br> I am emotionally crushed by this. My boss told me that I do my job wonderfully. The teachers that I work with love me. I get my work done and she has no complaints about the quality. In the past, this would have been the kind of thing that would have sent me into a half gallon of ice cream. I have been dealing with it by having some awesome workouts. Just wondering if anybody else has seen social ramifications from weight loss. My clinic warned me about this happening, they have a whole chapter about it in the materials they give out at the first visit. Believe me, it's hard to work in a small office and speak to no one. Makes me more grateful for the love and support of my family though!

I'm sorry this happen to you too. But in my case I'm just a butt hole and I just smile at them back. People tend to think we are stuck up cause we are so happy that the weight is coming off and we "glow" with happiness. I find myself just taking a step back from my weight loss and talk to the ones that whisper behind me. And its just a Hi and i like your out fit; just general talk, then others seem to come around. I know something's is not so easy we have to be thick skin. But i been told how amazing I look now and no many how many times i hear this, it sounds better than the first time i heard it but my reply is thank you but not as good as you look. I try not to be stuck up to them. I dropped another 4lbs, thats a total of 242lbs.. I was told thats just fantastic for the Sleeve .. It just amazes me

Has anybody experienced social changes after weight loss? I have been at my current job for three years. Clearly, when I was hired I was by far the fattest person in the office. It is a relatively small office of 14 women and one man. I am currently one of the slimmest in the office. Friday my boss had to speak with me about complaints from my co-workers. Apparently, I am "getting on their nerves". They no longer wish to have any conversations with me, about anything that isn't work related. Apparently even the sound of my voice when I am on work related phone calls has become grating. Nothing has changed in the past three years except my weight. Most days on my lunch I take a walk. I don't join in and eat the snack food that somebody brings into the office. I think there are some women that are threatened or feel guilty or just don't like the fact that I am now the size that I am. I think that I am paying a price for weight loss success.

I am emotionally crushed by this. My boss told me that I do my job wonderfully. The teachers that I work with love me. I get my work done and she has no complaints about the quality. In the past, this would have been the kind of thing that would have sent me into a half gallon of ice cream. I have been dealing with it by having some awesome workouts. Just wondering if anybody else has seen social ramifications from weight loss. My clinic warned me about this happening, they have a whole chapter about it in the materials they give out at the first visit. Believe me, it's hard to work in a small office and speak to no one. Makes me more grateful for the love and support of my family though!

Fortunately for me I think my work experience is the opposite. The people I work with are fabulous and supportive.

On the flip side the people outside of work that I use to socialize with I don't really talk to at all unless I see them out when I go out. They don't ask me if I'm going out or to meet up...

I'm sorry this happen to you too. But in my case I'm just a butt hole and I just smile at them back. People tend to think we are stuck up cause we are so happy that the weight is coming off and we "glow" with happiness. I find myself just taking a step back from my weight loss and talk to the ones that whisper behind me. And its just a Hi and i like your out fit; just general talk, then others seem to come around. I know something's is not so easy we have to be thick skin. But i been told how amazing I look now and no many how many times i hear this, it sounds better than the first time i heard it but my reply is thank you but not as good as you look. I try not to be stuck up to them. I dropped another 4lbs, thats a total of 242lbs.. I was told thats just fantastic for the Sleeve .. It just amazes me

GREAT weight loss! You SHOULD be flying high!!

I know what you mean about the 'glow' - I am wearing a size 6 jeans today, one year ago I was in a size 26. I NEVER thought I would wear anything as small as a 6. I FEEL great when I wear them, and I am sure the confidence shows in the very way I walk. I have just really kept to myself this week and plan on keeping that going for now. I am losing about 2 pounds a week now. If I can keep it going I will hit a 'normal' BMI by the end of the month. Another 8 pounds and I hit 200 pounds lost. I want to be there for my Surgaversery on June 25 and I think I have a good shot at making it. I am NOT going to let a bunch of jeolous women rob me of the wonderful feeling of accomplishment that this journey has resulted in. I have worked too hard for it!

Thank you for your support!

Carol

Has anyone encountered "you better not lose anymore weight". I have heard it more than a few times and it's got me a bit messed up. I'm 5' 4" and I'm 140 (HW 266). Thanks for helping me out! Love this group!

Never to soon to start! I had mine on the 11th!?? Anyone else in June yet? And how's it going?

Has anyone encountered "you better not lose anymore weight". I have heard it more than a few times and it's got me a bit messed up. I'm 5' 4" and I'm 140 (HW 266). Thanks for helping me out! Love this group!

They are insecure with their own bodies and not in control of their life like you are. its all for you revel in it this is your time.....you look fantastic keep up the good work

I cheated last night and for supper i had 1 slice of pan dish pizza supreme from Pizza Hut with the crust tore off ( like it made a difference) what i thought to be good tasted bad, the breading tasted greasy and the toppings was blah, not how i remembered it, then i felt kinda bad, not a dumping bad but not to spiffy. Thats the first time i tasted bread since June. I don't think i will want to try any pizza no more so Im back on my high Protein foods.

Yes, I am getting it all the time. I am only 5'2" and am about 138 (HW 331). I need to drop below 135 for my BMI to be in the normal range. My goal is 130, so I am close, but the "you are getting too thin" comments are messing with my head! I am still losing weight every week and sticking to my plan (for the most part). I work out everyday and I feel fantastic, so I am trying very hard to ignore the comments, and not let them sabotage me! Stick with your goals!!

Hi Junies!! I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks. We went to Italy and Greece. It was wobderful!! Did a ton of walking. Didn't get my Protein in most days bit im back at it today. I didn't wright this morning because flights cause me to retain Water so im wairing until wednesday my normal weigh day. My clothes feel loose so I'm hoping to be under 135 which would make me normal weight.

Oh and I forgot to say. We hired a private guide in Rome and zhe didn't believe I used to be fat! She told us Americans typically complain about the walking and we didn't. When I told her I used to be 140 lbs heavier she didn't believe me. She said she would believe 1 to 2 kg overweight but not 80 or whatever the conversion is. I guess this old girl is holding up! ;)

Hi All - I get updates from this site everyday on my phone but can't figure out the app so I don't get to respond on a regular basis so here we go. First I appreciate everyone's posts - I feel like I get support everyday just hearing about your experiences. I'm down to 141 from 259 and think I'm getting ready to go into a size 8 - which I can't even begin to believe...I was stuck at a 12 forever & was happy there but I started taking in more protien like all you guys have posted about and that seems to have allowed my body to get over the hump. I read about some of you having issues at work and am so sorry to hear you are being treated unfairly. I feel like we all took a bold step to take care of an issue we had that was literally killing us day by day. They wouldn't feel the same way about someone who had cancer and got the treatment they needed. So screw them - if they want to take out their feelings of self-hate on you that just isn't right. You have a right to be upset but at the same time you can't let people's negativity take the joy out of your experience. Remember you've put a lot into this and you deserve all the joy in the world :)

Ok so on a separate issue - it seems like there are a lot of different views on life after gastric bypass and I know we have a newbie here on our forum so I'm just gonna put this out there. My insurance didn't require a whole slew of stuff before my surgery. I just had to prove I had been morbidly obese for more than five years. Then I had to lose 10 pounds prior to the surgery per doctor's orders. But after that it was all up to me. So my advice on this subject is do what you have to do to get your surgery but don't put too much pressure on yourself. My surgeon didn't give me strict guidelines just the standard after surgery soft diet etc. So what I chose to do was to eat what I could when I could so that I wasn't constantly stressing myself out over food. It's been almost whole year now of trial and error and I still lost the weight. I'm just gonna say it - I still drink soda because I can but what I can't do is drink the quantity of soda I used to. I still eat bread but it's toasted and in very small amounts. I eat pizza but it's homemade and 1 slice cause anything else makes me sick. The reason surgery works is because there is no way you can eat what you used to eat in the quantitiles that you used to eat--at least that has been my experience. Even a year out I still try to eat something I shouldn't and don't dump but have an instant stomach ache and that helps me to remember next time not to do that to myself again. I know it's different for everyone and we all have our own path to follow - I admire all of you but just wonder if I'm the only one just taking it day by day and not obsessing over all the "rules"? I do drink with my meals in small amounts, I do drink with a straw, I do take in limited sugars, etc. It's important to note that I religiously take my Vitamin regime and make sure I eat protien. Just want to encourage the newbie that though this journey is a long and hard one it doesn't have to be completly rigid and overwhelming. Does this make any sense?

Hi Monica,

You make a world of sense. We all find our own way on this journey, what works for some, doesn't work for others. It has been a year of trial and error. I do keep to a very rigid plan, it works for me. I fear if I did what you are doing, it would not work for me with your level of success. There are many lessons on this journey, the answers are not the same for any two of us. Keep on learning and improving! I will say that this new life is worth fighting for!

Carol

Hello Monica.

Loved your posts today. You are correct we all have found a balance that works for us. i know myself and a stricter program works for me. i have a " mild" ???? case of ocd so the rny strict life style work best for me.

As you and others have stated the results are what matters. i think the starting weight has to be factored in i know my goal weight is a considerable loss ( 270 lbs) that is the reason im obsessive about my program.

Thanks for broaching this topic its great to get this out there. good to hear from you again.

have a great Sunday.

RJ