Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Happy Sunday morning to you all!!

Dee: name change....you li'l devil! 100 lbs. in six months??? My god, I didn't think that was possible! Good on ya!:biggrin2::(

Are people going to be using the other thread? Could get confusing, eh...

Mini: glad to hear all is going better for you. Guess I won't look at anti-nausea stuff if it gives a huge headache.

I am sooooo impressed and inspired by all of you and the tremendous losses you all have accomplished. I hope I can be even a fraction as successful as y'all.

My dad hasn't been feeling well since the 3rd (He is 82 and has neuropathy in legs/feet and has arthritis), so when I talked to mom this morning, I told her to tell Dad that he better get to dr. and feel better so he can witness his daughter's metamorphosis! he can't have tried to help me for 40+ years and then sign off before it actually happens!! she laughed and then said she would share that info. I would hate to lose him before i get my life back (get it back??shit, I lost it at age 12!!:)). Maybe my determination will give him motivation to see dr. regularly and do what he needs to do to stick around:smile2:

Shelbi, I think your labs are almost identical to mine. I have started eating steel cut oats to increase my HDL's. I've cut down the red meat to decrease the LDLs. But yours are so close to being wnl. My doc wants mine under 70 due to my pre-diabetic state. If your fastings are always good, an A1C isn't needed. You can get that test -- if you want a baseline, but I doubt if it will be a problem. Did you get liver studies done and a microalbumin? Due to our Protein intake I asked for a BUN and Creatine and a Microalbumin. I just wanted to check on my kidney fnx.

My ex eats Steel Cut oats every day of his life and his Tg are 40 and his LDL's are 50's. It's amazing because his other intake is not so good.....

WTG Dee on your loss!!!!!!!!:)

Thanks for the reminder about oats! I forgot all about the benefit of Oats on Cholesterol and will be adding that to my Steel Cut to my grocery list. Here's a good recipe I found -- could probably substitute some Splenda to cut the carbs and freeze in 8 small containers to make it a quick morning fix.

Crockpot oatmeal Recipe

• 2 cups steel cut oats (not instant or rolled oats)
  • 6-8 cups Water, depending on how long the oatmeal will cook
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 apples, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup sliced bananas
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. If you're planning to cook the oatmeal 8 hours or longer, use 8 cups of water. If you want to cook it less than 8 hours, use 6 cups of water. Put first seven ingredients (through raisins) in slow cooker and cook on low. Just before serving, Stir in bananas and walnuts. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired.

Serves 8.

Per serving: 256 calories, 6 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g Fiber, 4 g protein, 1% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 5% Calcium, 8% Iron

My liver function was "normal" and my triglycerides were 113. I check a fasting blood sugar occasionally and it's usually around 90. I haven't though about getting kidney function done due to the protein intake, but I'm absolutely going to ask about that -- thanks for the heads up!

Nicnac -- I'm so glad you're hanging out with us again!!

Mal -- Did you mean my son? Or were you talking to someone else? No daughters here. But my boys are ok today. You know, in this house, it's a one day at a time thing!:( How are your's doing?

Glad the headache is easing off Mini and your getting back to your old lovable self. It just keeps getting better from here on, chica.

Shelbie~oops! I'm sorry, I meant to send that to Widow. I am with you on the one day at a time!

Dee: name change....you li'l devil! 100 lbs. in six months??? My god, I didn't think that was possible! Good on ya!:biggrin2::(

Mini: glad to hear all is going better for you. Guess I won't look at anti-nausea stuff if it gives a huge headache.

I am sooooo impressed and inspired by all of you and the tremendous losses you all have accomplished. I hope I can be even a fraction as successful as y'all.

My dad hasn't been feeling well since the 3rd (He is 82 and has neuropathy in legs/feet and has arthritis), so when I talked to mom this morning, I told her to tell Dad that he better get to dr. and feel better so he can witness his daughter's metamorphosis! he can't have tried to help me for 40+ years and then sign off before it actually happens!! she laughed and then said she would share that info. I would hate to lose him before i get my life back (get it back??shit, I lost it at age 12!!:)). Maybe my determination will give him motivation to see dr. regularly and do what he needs to do to stick around:smile2:

Deb - I think you'll need to have some anti-nausea meds of some sort. And most people don't seem to have a problem with it. I should have told Dr. k. that I was getting a bad headache . . . maybe he would have switched me to something else. My bad.

Sorry about your Dad. Yes, he definitely needs to stick around and see the true you come to the forefront.

Thanks for the reminder about oats! I forgot all about the benefit of Oats on Cholesterol and will be adding that to my Steel Cut to my grocery list. Here's a good recipe I found -- could probably substitute some Splenda to cut the carbs and freeze in 8 small containers to make it a quick morning fix.

Crockpot Oatmeal Recipe

• 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup sliced bananas

Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. If you're planning to cook the oatmeal 8 hours or longer, use 8 cups of water. If you want to cook it less than 8 hours, use 6 cups of water. Put first seven ingredients (through raisins) in slow cooker and cook on low. Just before serving, Stir in bananas and walnuts. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired.

Serves 8.

Per serving: 256 calories, 6 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g Protein, 1% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 5% Calcium, 8% Iron

My liver function was "normal" and my triglycerides were 113. I check a fasting blood sugar occasionally and it's usually around 90. I haven't though about getting kidney function done due to the protein intake, but I'm absolutely going to ask about that -- thanks for the heads up!

Mal -- Did you mean my son? Or were you talking to someone else? No daughters here. But my boys are ok today. You know, in this house, it's a one day at a time thing!:( How are your's doing?

Glad the headache is easing off Mini and your getting back to your old lovable self. It just keeps getting better from here on, chica.

Mmmmm, I LOVE steel cut oats. I used to make them plain, then stir in a little splenda brown sugar blend and then top it with fruit of some sort. My favorite Breakfast ever.

MY GOODNESS! I'm off for a couple of days and everything changes and everybody is looking good too.

However, I'm joining some of you on the other side of things this week - I gained 2 lbs. I didn't watch too carefully at the end of this week and didn't exercise except a little walking. I don't have as much restriction this week either. I haven't scheduled another fill.

I'm so proud of all the good lab results I'm reading about. Even though no one "sees" those benefits they sure do make us feel better and live longer.

Well - here's to getting back on the Loser's Bench this week.

Mini-I'm glad your surgery went well and you are through with those nasty headaches.

Welcome to all the NEWBIES. You will love it here and we love having you with us.

Crockpot Oatmeal Recipe

• 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup sliced bananas

Serves 8.

Per serving: 256 calories, 6 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g Protein, 1% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 5% Calcium, 8% Iron

That's how I make my Steel Cut Oats every morning or rather every night. I have this tiny crock pot. I add dried apricots and cranberries. Then in the morning I add the Walnuts and a little honey! It's so good.

I actually, think I am now eating more protein than previous and I wanted to check my kidney function to make sure I'm not taxing it.

I think your results are great!

Shelbi-As always I agree with what Dee said. You probably don't need an AIC if your fasting is always ok, but it wouldn't hurt to get one either. My PCP always does one (mainly because I think he is convinced I am going to be diabetic even though my nonfasting sugars are always in the low 100's...he doesn't believe me I don't think! Men!) I also think you should just stick with what you are doing and maybe add the oats-I would not go on Niacin unless you absolutely have to because of the side effects, especially since your numbers are so close to normal. My fill doc does check a CMP and prealbumin on me every few months.

Mini-I am so glad to hear you are feeling better (even if you have to be sneaky about computer time).

Adorkable-insist on that test so you can have peace of mind and know, like you said, that they checked into everything regarding your gallbladder, that way if it is not that you can get on with finding out what is causing the pain. And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that chronic pain sucks. I cannot wait to have surgery on my foot next month so I can get rid of mine. It makes me cranky!:)

Dee-your name change confused me for a minute last night too, but I figured out soon enough who you were! :( BTW, I am really hoping my foot gets better and I don't have to have surgery so I can fly out to your neck of the woods and visit all of you when my friend has her surgery!

I hope everyone else is having a healthy, happy Sunday!! Best wishes from the Munchkin/Labrador/Mastiff crew!!

Edited by munchkin392
Need to go back to English class and learn how to write!

Shelbi-As always I agree with what Dee said. You probably don't need an AIC if yor fasting is always ok, but it wouldn't hurt to get one either. My PCP always does one (mainly because I think he is convinced I am going to be diabetic even though my nonfasting sugars are always in the low 100's...he doesn't believe me I don't think! Men!) I also think you should just stick with what you are doing and maybe add the oats-I would not go on Niacin unless you absolutely have to because of the side effects, especially since your numbers are so close to normal. My fill doc does check a CMP and prealbumin on me every few months.

Good point about the Niacin, Munchk. I'll stick with the exercise, no red meat and oats then re-test in 3 months. Surely, I can get everything in the normal range. (I know, your name's not Surely.:thumbup:)

Hey Sidann and Deb; good to hear fom ya!

Hey All! What are steel cut oats? I've only had instant oatmeal and I really don't like it. Maybe I would like that better... Do you buy it at the regular stores near the oatmeal? How was everyone's 4th of July?

Hey All! What are steel cut oats? I've only had instant oatmeal and I really don't like it. Maybe I would like that better... Do you buy it at the regular stores near the oatmeal? How was everyone's 4th of July?

Steel Cut Oats is the same as Irish Oatmeal. You have to use more Water and cook longer. It's less mushy than regular oatmeal and more fiberous. It's excellent for decreasing your LDL's and Triglycerides. You can now get it in the regular grocery store.

Good point about the Niacin, Munchk. I'll stick with the exercise, no red meat and oats then re-test in 3 months. Surely, I can get everything in the normal range. (I know, your name's not Surely.:thumbup:)

Hey Sidann and Deb; good to hear fom ya!

Shelbi,

Could I join you on your 12 weeks of no red meat, eating oatmeal and exercising? I'll need my tests redone at that time too. I am off all of my meds. My doctor didn't want me to go too long without re-testing.

Dee: name change....you li'l devil! 100 lbs. in six months??? My god, I didn't think that was possible! Good on ya!:biggrin2::rolleyes:

My dad hasn't been feeling well since the 3rd (He is 82 and has neuropathy in legs/feet and has arthritis), so when I talked to mom this morning, I told her to tell Dad that he better get to dr. and feel better so he can witness his daughter's metamorphosis! he can't have tried to help me for 40+ years and then sign off before it actually happens!! she laughed and then said she would share that info. I would hate to lose him before i get my life back (get it back??shit, I lost it at age 12!!:thumbup:). Maybe my determination will give him motivation to see dr. regularly and do what he needs to do to stick around:smile2:

Deb, I hope your father's recovery is complete. He and you both need each other. My father died before seeing me make good changes. That makes me sad.

I remember your other post about your parents, I think you have very supportive and sweet parents. You're a lucky Daughter!