Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I thought about Dr. Kirshenbaum too, and I had a consultation with him. My husband and I were NOT impressed. From the very moment I entered his office, i was a little leary. It was dated and not very clean. We had to wait for like an hour and half before he saw us. He then came in, unshaven, didn't introduce himself and just explained things. He didn't require any kind of pre-op testing and he was ready to schedule me. It kind of freaked me out. I went to Dr. Snyder... I loved him! He was so professional and extremely personable!! Go see him if you want to have the lapband surgery in Denver. I am scheduled for surgery next Thurs, Sept 4! But PLEASE don't go to Kirshenbaum he was a total joke!

I thought about Dr. Kirshenbaum too, and I had a consultation with him. My husband and I were NOT impressed. From the very moment I entered his office, i was a little leary. It was dated and not very clean. We had to wait for like an hour and half before he saw us. He then came in, unshaven, didn't introduce himself and just explained things. He didn't require any kind of pre-op testing and he was ready to schedule me. It kind of freaked me out. I went to Dr. Snyder... I loved him! He was so professional and extremely personable!! Go see him if you want to have the lapband surgery in Denver. I am scheduled for surgery next Thurs, Sept 4! But PLEASE don't go to Kirshenbaum he was a total joke!

Odd...:thumbup: you posted negatively about Dr. Kirshenbaum in September of last year also, and in this thread, but your consultation then was slightly different. What you described then, and now, is not anything close to what I or the other patients of Dr. Kirshenbaum that post here have experienced with him. You've also only posted a total of 5 times to this forum since you joined and have never replied to anyone. You've only posted to write negatively about Dr. Kirshenbaum, positively about Dr. Snyder or asking for recommendations for doctors in Colorado Springs.

I've been on this forum long enough to know that some bariatric coordinators and other surgeon's employees come here to only bash another surgeon or post glowingly about the one they work for. I am not accusing you of this, and I know nothing about Dr. Snyder, but I think it's important for newer people to know that this happens.

No doctor is perfect, and Dr. Right for one person may not be Dr. Right for another. We are all entitled to our own opinions and perceptions, of course. If you truly did have a negative experience, I apologize. However, you are in the minority. Best of luck.

Edited by GreenChrysalis

I find it interesting that you made that decision in such a short amount of time.

Let me tell you something about Dr. K. He has saved my life and the lives of many many other obese people. True, his office is old, out dated and not all that attractive, BUT look at the surroundings. He's at the Medical Center of Aurora Professional building. It's a old building! The hospital was the same. I used to work there. As far as I remember, the placement of my band was in not done in his office, it was done in an OR. The appearance of his office really had nothing to do with the surgery I received.

I've been an RN for almost 20 years and I know from experience that not every pre-op test is necessary. Absolutely not. Many doctors don't use critical thinking pathways. They don't stop and consider things before they order tests on their patients. They order them because that's what everyone else does. I don't appreciate being the patient of those kinds of doctors.

Dr. K thinks before he acts. He does what is vital and necessary for a safe outcome and avoids things that aren't necessary. I appreciate that.

Several times, I have had to wait a while in his office. This happens with most physicians. I worked in a very busy pediatric's office. I had to double and triple book patients. When a patient needs to get in to see their doctors, you have to do what you have to do and patients who valuable seeing their physician, don't worry about waiting a little bit. I don't.

Lastly, I'm not sure about the unshaven look you speak of. I've never witnessed that. I have only seen Dr. K as a talented, caring, self sacrificing medical professional.

Good luck with your band placement with Dr. Synder. I have several friends who have him as their surgeon. One is very unhappy and has only lost 32 lbs in a over a year. She's had several fills and unfills. I hope things go well for you. It's not an easy tool to work, but it's totally doable - if your head is in the right place, you're willing to do the work and you have a surgeon who is skilled, intelligent and caring!

I am extremely thrilled with the service I've received from Dr. K, His PA - Tom, Natalie, Mary and Marilyn. They are a good group of people. I had a very difficult situation and they were there for me from the first day! Dr. K bent over backwards for me to get my surgery. I'm not sure, any other doctor would have done the same.

Thanks for posting!

Wow Greenie! I think you're a Private Investigator! I didn't even figure that one out. But you're right. If you go back and check on her other posts you'll see this has been the theme.

If we're wrong, I apologize, but the evidence is overwhelming.

Wow Greenie! I think you're a Private Investigator! I didn't even figure that one out. But you're right. If you go back and check on her other posts you'll see this has been the theme.

If we're wrong, I apologize, but the evidence is overwhelming.

Yep, I am a sneaky one! I'm not really a Private Investigator, I just play one on the internet. :thumbup: I am skeptical of anybody who only posts to bash or speak glowingly about a surgeon. Speaking in extremes is always suspicious to me!

I try to keep off the rose-colored glasses when talking about Dr. K with others and say, OK, I had a good experience but we are all different and you need to do what you feel is best for you. As long as you have done your research and feel confident in your choice, I would never say a word. I have noticed that when people do well they are inclined to talk about the surgeons like they are gods or rock stars -- sometimes with good cause! -- but realistically we know that Dr. Right for one person isn't Dr. Right for another, and no one doctor can be "the best" because so many people have had good experiences with so many different doctors. :thumbup:

Adork...put me down for a 2lb gain. I think I can blame it partially on TOM (not Tom:-) but I've also been eating like crap so I'm accountable too.

Who's in for Red Robin tomorrow night? Looking forward to meeting up with you Gorrillaz!!!

I would imagine that individual who posted the negative remarks is exactly what Greenie has speculated and he/she won't waste time to see what the responses are as responses aren't what he/she wants. I wouldn't doubt that similarly/exactly worded posts are on the web about other doctors.

Thanks, Green, for pointing out the underhanded techniques of competing offices; novices like myself wouldn't necessarily think of that.

Dee: I am happy to see positive words from you again:smile2:. I hope that you are feeling better as well. You are an important element here on this thread. You are the one that I have come to rely on for accurate info and great ideas when problems arise.:w00t:

*just a side thought ColoradoCrazy. I moderate a music fan website that is Vbulletin (what this site operates with) and you can check stats on posters. That was your 5th post and you chose to come here to complain about this doctor when you chose to go with another doctor. Typically people tend to just stick to the forums where they found success. Strange that you didn't do that.

I don't recognize the person you are describing as my doctor. (unshaven???) When I discovered Dr. Kirshenbaum in 2006, his name was going around because of his motivation for price. So people could afford the surgery and stay in the United States. By the time we spoke, I had never met the man but was so impressed by his education medium, tele conference and overall persona that I scheduled surgery with him sight unseen and flew from Florida to Colorado. My surgery was seamless in recovery. I even had a lower gastric problem that he helped me resolve and I'd been suffering with that one for years. I have pointedly asked questions to assure that my expectations were communicated clearly and understood by him. Communication is essential and goes both ways. Dr. K has never let me down.

Good luck to a healthy lifestyle.

Edited by Lap_dancer

I too had Dr K., what a great doctor. He truly cares about the welfare of his patients. I recently had a fill and I flew to Denver. My original appointment was 11:45, well we got lost and called the office. He said no problem, come back at 3:00 and we'll take care of you then. He came he filled me and we left the next day.

AHHHHHHH!!!

I was reading an article in O magazine today and it was on medications and do they cause you to gain weight? I am currently on six medications ( two more for the back ) and guess how many of my six cause weight gain????? Of all the medications I take, half of them cause weight gain. Four of them cause sleep disturbance.

My band is definately doing it's job.

As I whittle away and rehab and recovery on the back I find more and more things popping up. Needless to say, I'm stopping two of the medications and switching to Tylenol.

I have an appt. with the doctor to review the other four. I am going to begin going off of one of them. The one for panic disorder. I'm changing the Effexor I take for depression because there is a viable option with lesser side effects.

Something tells me once the meds are squared away I will give Dee a run for her weight loss money!!! (grins)

Adork - put me down for 1 lb this week. It will probably be more next week due to the fact I'm wrestling will something stuck for the last 5 hours!!!! Damn chicken and Dumplings....I'm never eating them again!!! They need to make "band Drain-O"! Anyone have any suggestions. I've been trying pineapple juice.....do you think hot tea would work???

I guess I'll be back to soft stuff for a couple more days. Damn chicken and dumplings!!!!

ColoradoCrazy: I for one love Dr. K and agree that he also saved my life. Very wonderful, carrying and intelligent. Very skilled doctor! Love the staff and everything they have done for me. I hope you make the right choice for you and good luck.

Hey ColoradoCrazy -- I remember you! You did one of these types of posts on this thread about a year ago. Congratulations on finally getting to the point of being banded soon; I hope that doesn't mean it took a year to complete pre-op tests and insurance approval for Dr. Snyder! Bless your heart -- if it was hard to wait an hour and a half for a Dr. K appointment, it must have been hell to wait a year for Dr. Snyder to put in the band. I wish you a wonderful journey with your band.

Me being from Colorado, I did a lot of research on Dr. Synder before making my final decision. I was unable to gain any feedback from actual clients that had surgery with him. He was very expensive and I wasn't able to work with a doctor where the feedback from actual clients is so hard to find, especially this type of surgery. I view your comment as fishing for possible Dr. K. patients/clients. I find that sad and alarming because times are tough, insurance co. are reluctant to pay for this type of surgery and eventually Dr. S will have to lower his prices because they are feeling the crunch of this ecomony. Everyone is effected. Dr. S has made a lot of money from insurance companies, but they are a lot more reluctant to approve this type of surgery anymore, so I think a lot of other surgeons are trying to join the band wagon of Dr. K in order to assure that they can stay a float. Dr. K has done over 400 lap band surgeries and cares about the success of his clients, because it reflects on him. I can't find any feedback about Dr. S. as far as his clients success/failure rates. I think ColoradoCrazy is just that...Crazy. Don't try to spoil our joy because other lap band doctors slept on where were at at this time. Dr. K has been ahead of the game and now you Colorado lap band doctors are trying to play catch up. You are trying to minimize his abilities to accomodate your bottom dollar. I would truly love to hear from anyone who has more to say on this subject that supports what CrazyColorado is advocating is her post. I find it interesting she is not Dr. K's patient, but feels a such a need to post to his site unless she is a Dr. S advocate.

In my opinion, move on ColoradoCrazy and stay out of here!

Why don't you build a site for Dr. S and maybe we can see what kind of responses that will bring. It will be informational to us all. So do it. I can't wait.

Just my thoughts.:w00t:

Good luck to all!

Hey ColoradoCrazy -- I remember you! You did one of these types of posts on this thread about a year ago. Congratulations on finally getting to the point of being banded soon; I hope that doesn't mean it took a year to complete pre-op tests and insurance approval for Dr. Snyder! Bless your heart -- if it was hard to wait an hour and a half for a Dr. K appointment, it must have been hell to wait a year for Dr. Snyder to put in the band. I wish you a wonderful journey with your band.

Shelbi, I just love you.

:w00t:

I remember now, the other southern BELLE on here. Mama says you can say anything when you add "bless your heart".:cool2: