Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

They tell me curiousity killed the cat...but here goes. If you really really really wanted a big fat Red Robin burger - the one with the fried egg on it! - would you be able to eat it? At least like 5 or 6 bites of it? I guess I'm just not sure how small your stomach really is with a lap band. :confused2:

I think this is what I'm going to struggle with the most (which is why I probably won't go out to eat much, haha) - at restaurants, I tend to get what I want when I want it. Which is why I've been overweight for so long, lol. Salads are good and all, but the RR burger with cheese and bacon and a fried egg on it...

Oh my, I'm drooling. :smile2:

They tell me curiousity killed the cat...but here goes. If you really really really wanted a big fat Red Robin burger - the one with the fried egg on it! - would you be able to eat it? At least like 5 or 6 bites of it? I guess I'm just not sure how small your stomach really is with a lap band. :confused2:

I think this is what I'm going to struggle with the most (which is why I probably won't go out to eat much, haha) - at restaurants, I tend to get what I want when I want it. Which is why I've been overweight for so long, lol. Salads are good and all, but the RR burger with cheese and bacon and a fried egg on it...

Oh my, I'm drooling. :smile2:

Many people have trouble with bread, esp. soft white Buns. I am however, able to eat a quarter of a burger, if I want. BUT I always choose the same thing at RR. The Ensenada chicken Platter. Two lean, grilled chicken breasts, and a salad. I get it without the Tortilla chips on top and with the Fat Free Ranch dressing. They also have French Onion Soup that a lot of Banders get. Or the burger in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun.

Your burger with the fried egg sounds great! I'd love that!

Your burger with the fried egg sounds great! I'd love that!

It won't be my burger for long...I'm getting banded in November by Dr. K! :smile2:

Note to self: Have one last RR Burger.

Well, jmegirl, you could probably eat part of that burger you're describing once you're banded. As for how much your stomach can hold, we are all different -- I eat about 1/3 of what I used to and that works for me. I do eat burgers on occasion, but usually without the bun because soft bread gets stuck. Beyond that, for me, it's not about what I can eat but what I choose to eat. Beef doesn't generally agree with my stomach, and I feel better if I don't eat a big greasy burger, even if I am just eating part of it. The band restricts how much you eat, but you can still eat around it and sabotage yourself depending on the choices you make.

For me, this is where therapy has helped. food does not play the big important role in my life that it once did. I still enjoy it, but I am learning other ways to deal with my emotions and not feel deprived. I am learning that one bite of something is just as delicious as eating the whole thing. I do not have to eat it all to enjoy it. It is not worth it anymore. I don't have any foods (other than those I know will get stuck) that are completely off-limits...it is all about moderation. Why would I sabotage myself after spending that much money and putting in all of this hard work? Just my take on the whole thing.

Edited by GreenChrysalis

Green: Your thoughts are right on target. I am not concentrating on how much I am going to be able to eat, but on the idea that there aren't going to be a litany of items i can never have again. Just knowing I can taste those foods i love is a great relief. I, too, am focused on having put forth this much money, time, stress, etc. at 57 (almost) and do NOT want to blow it.

I have to tell you, my attitude is soooo pumped; it hasn't even been a week yet but I am feeling great! Dr. K and crew were the best. Easiest of the three major surgeries I have ever had.

Looks like I might be coming to Denver for a fill on about Sept. 25. Anything near the Aurora center that is a good meeting joint? I am in and out on the same day.

Whew, I just got caught up on all the posts!

I can't remember who or what but I read 'em all!

WELCOME to the newbies!

RR Wednesday at ???? 7-ish?

My son's friend, Shane will be going to Craig TOMORROW. I am so happy that he will finally be able to move ahead. I went to visit him Saturday and let me tell ya, I broke down something terrible (the minute I walked out of his door). I hate to see him like that. This is tough, tough, tough! Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts.

Yes Ma'am 7pm!

Sorry!!!

It won't be my burger for long...I'm getting banded in November by Dr. K! :smile2:

Note to self: Have one last RR Burger.

Hey Lady!

Does that mean you got a date???

Hey Lady!

Well, I've jumped over most every hurdle but that one. :tt1:

I've gotten approval from my job to take sick time for what they consider an "elective cosmetic surgery". :smile2: I've convinced my husband to help me do this, he's filed for the loan, and I'm sure we'll get the $$ we need, probably getting approval within the next 24hrs. And I'll be calling Dr. K's office in about 15mins (as soon as I leave my office) to snag the first appointment they have in November. I'm just assuming at this point that they'll have some kind of availability at that time...lol. Surely they aren't completely booked!

OK, so maybe I've not jumped every hurdle yet, but daggonit, I'm getting this band! :lol:

Well, creeping along at my usual snail-like pace, I weighed in at 202.2. Yes, I realize that 1 pound a week is just fine blah blah blah but DAMN I wish it was coming off a little faster!! But I'm getting another fill on the 5th, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully things will speed up.

Can't remember who all was talking about smoking, but I used Wellbutrin and was able to quit after 25 years. It made all the difference for me.

Hey Lady!

Hot diggity dawg, I'VE GOT A DATE with Dr. K!!!

November 5th, 2008 baby!!!

:smile2: :lol: :tt1:

Jme Girl-Congrats on getting a date!

Everyone else-I still can't hardly eat anything so the doc wants me to have a barium swallow. I have to go have it Thursday morning. This sucks! :smile2: I hope nothing is wrong with my band. I am praying I am just filled to tight and swollen from it.

Adork-Put me down for 185. You would think I would have lost more than that only eating 200-300 calories per day since last Weds, but apparently my body is in starvation mode. Or it is because it is TOM. Or because I am drinking a ton of fluids in an attempt to not get dehydrated. Or all of the above. Sheesh.

We had a friend of my husbands family pass away, and they wanted me to go eat with them just now...yep, that is not going to happen at this point, the whole eating in public thing! I don't hardly know these people, I am not going to get up from the table every 5 minutes to PB like I did the other night at Applebees! (That was what started this whole episode...) So I am going to have him bring me some Soup or something and drop it off. No way am I eating in public!

And I have nooooo energy. I have all this stuff I need to do around the house and noooo energy. Seriously, how do anorexics do it???

Edited by munchkin392
Needed to whine some more...I am in whining mode

Happy Monday everybody,

Adork, no weight change for me. I think I am overdoing on the steak and cheese thing!

Mal, your friend will be in good hands at Craig.

Deb, thanks for the preop diet tips. See above, I just need to work on Portion Control. What time do you fly back on the 25th? I can meet you for dinner. Since you are getting a fill, there is a place with great Soups not far from there, the Great Atlanta bread Co.

Munch, good luck with the barium swallow thing, hope it goes well. I'm also a big REO fan - grew up in Michigan so they played our area a lot

Marcy, the fresh berry hunt sounds so fun

Green, your family "mentioned" your hair? as in, it looks so fabulous, or why aren't you taking care of those roots? ha! I love your idea about the no foods off limits

Jme, congrats on the Nov. surgery date...mine is coming up

Everybody, I have a question about portions post-band: do you feel you eat about a cup or 8 oz per meal, like the articles say? or more? or less? thanks for the input.

See you all Wed night at RR - do you sit in a certain spot, or do I just look for all the lovely babes together?

Need some advice. I haven't had any bad experiences with PBing until yesterday. I had some things go down a little hard. I know that I do need to slow down when eating, but yesterday I PBd on salmon. Today, I was eating a Smart Ones salisbury steak and mac & cheese dinner....OMG....it was really bad. I felt like I was having a heart attack and it finally came up but was still burping and coming up for at least 15 more minutes.

My problem is that I am due for my 2nd fill on Wednesday. Should I postpone? I really hate to because my appetite is getting bigger. Can I be hungry and still get food stuck??

What should I do?

Dork, Put me down for a 6lb loss! I only have 8.8lbs to make my 20 lbs goal!