Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Enough advice to you all. I went out for Mexican food at lunch and LEFT half of it on the plate. I didn't want to PB, so when I got the gurgling feeling - I stopped. I was fine. I think I have been shoveling food into my mouth like it was my last supper for most of my years. I love this band. it is helping me to finally get the eating right.

hugs,

Michelle

Applause! Anyone else noticing things like:

How fast you would otherwise be eating?

Gulping?

How much liquid you washed down with your meals?

The band has taken me to a place where one mindless gulp to many sends me a harsh reminder of habits that still need to be completely broken.

Lap Dancer - so you are experiencing the same types of feedback that I am. Some of it isn't very gentle. Funny how the intention to break the habits is there, but the struggle to "beat" the feedback fights back. I have to remember to watch myself and record what I do.

Hugs,

Michelle

....Funny how the intention to break the habits is there, but the struggle to "beat" the feedback fights back....

The struggle -- my biggest fear summed up in that one sentence above. What do you do to come out on the winning side of the struggle on a daily basis?

ShelbiCallie - Flying the day after might be a little uncomfortable...but my flight was around 9 hours (not including lay-overs). I slept and felt find on the plane though. The surgery center I went to (Health South) gave me a patch behind my ear to help with nausea and even though I had BAD dry mouth, I think it helped and I have not even used any of my nausea suppositories. I'd say as long as you can take your time at work (for naps and drugs) you'll do just fine. For sure have a "Plan B" in place just in case!

That pain in my left-of-center is rearing it's ugly head today. I'm in more pain than I have been in for a week! Bad enough I'm considering the Vicodin instead of Tylenol. I think I'll give Dr. K a call and make sure all's ok. There's no redness, just sharp pain.

Shelbi - The struggle is in the lifestyle and food consumption changes. I am in therapy too, where I am dealing with the emotional end of things. I am finding that I have to address parts of myself from way back that did the consumptive eating thing to cope with emotional deprivation. Right now I am having conversations with a three year old inside who is pouting over not being able to overconsume in order not to feel. Thing is - before the band i couldn't even identify that part of me before numbing out with food. So, the healing process isn't overnight, expect to work hard for several years to lose the weight if you want to hold it off without beating yourself up. The band doesn't FIX it, but gives me vital feedback that I never heard before. Good luck. This is a journey.

Best wishes to everyone!

Michelle, the remodeling queen!

Shelbi.. Congratulations on your band date on 8/22. Sounds like you have a pretty tight schedule. Hopefully all will go well for you.

Marcy... Sorry to hear that you are having some pretty bad pain. Is is from your incision at the port sight or is it those phantom gas pains that I've heard about?

Dynamo... I too have got to be working on the food consumption lifestyle change. I have been trying to train myself to chew, chew, chew before swallowing, which is not an easy thing to do on a consistant basis.

Talked to Dr. K he feels the pain is probably a nerve...especially because of the area and that it's a "sharp, burning pain". This isn't typical, but sometimes happens. He said to take some Ibuprophen, but wouldn't you know, as soon as I talk to the doc the pain subsides?! Isn't that how it always is?

Hi there! Congrats to all of you on getting your surgery dates! Even with the port problem, I love my band!

Thanks for all the well wishes to. I so far so good. I can't wait for this incision to heal so I can move effortlessly again. :eek:

Marcy - Glad you're feeling better. Hopefully there will be no more nerve pain for you!

Nic & Dynamo - I'm trying to go ahead and incorporate the bandster approach to eating, too. The chew, chew, chew is hard! But the no drinking while eating is going to be extremely difficult for me, too. I've used overconsumption as my first solution to almost every life situation for so, so many years. I catch myself eating without even consciously making a decision to eat. I've been in therapy before (greatest gift I've ever given myself) and am feeling the need to do some more work in that area.

Did anyone here have the Crown Point Surgery Center -- what did you think of the anesthesia team? I would love to know the MD's name(s) there. Just knowing the name/checking it out on the state medical board website makes me feel better.

Hi Shebi,

Dr. K's anestheia team was led by Dr. Green (sorry, can't remember his first name, but it should be available on the Crown Point roster of Dr.s). I was just banded there by Dr. K on July 18th. Check the "Lucky No 7's thread... I outlined my entire experience at Crown Point. It is a VERY impressive facility... all brand new. The care is first rate... my experience was excellent.

Thanks, JKF! That's was a great synopsis of your Crown Point experience. I was wondering if Dr. K did a pre-op EKG, anticoagulant and it's good to know he does antibiotics during the procedure. All very reassuring to me! I'm off to see if I can find out anything about Dr. Green and team.

TGIF, folks!

I also had a wonderful anesthesia experience, compared to the other times I've been under. My surgery with Dr. K was the easiest I've ever had and I've had some major surgery. You will sail through as long as you do the pre-op diet of high protein/low carb to make your liver smaller. I also built myself up with healthy food, Vitamins and I use acupuncture. Seems to work for me.

Welcome to all you "just scheduled." This is a great way to get the support you will need to feel comfortable with your surgery.

Best wishes,

Michelle

I made the reservations at the Holiday Inn Select, bought the airline tickets, and rented a car. :whoo: It's gonna happen!! :clap2:

By the way, how many carbs per day is considered a low carb diet by the good Dr. K?

Paula - the nutritionist was vague with me on this. She said an Atkins, South Beach type diet will do the trick. I just cut out all "white" foods, and concentrated on eating Proteins veggies and fruits. No bread, Pasta or potatoes. It worked for me.

Way to go for it!

Way to go Shelbi !! You will enjoy your trip to colorful Colorado.... Dynamo is right the Atkins or South Beach diets are low carbs and pretty easy diets to follow. Good Luck.