Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Good Morning! I'm new here, but have been reseaching lapband for many months. I'm a self-payer and after reading all the good stuff here about Dr. K, I'm probably going to check into making the trip out to CO. :rolleyes: One question that I haven't seen addressed here though -- and I may have missed it, but I did try to read all 90+ pages :hat: -- does he required any tests or labs work to be done before at home, or does he do all of his testing himself and if so, is it included in his price? Thanks for your help -- you've taught me so much already!

ShelCal

Welcome, ShelbieCallie! Dr. K doesn't require any pre-op tests or lab work. And everything is included in his price. The first three months of adjustments are free also. Are you planing to come back for fills and consultation? Some people do, some don't. If you aren't coming back, it's best to find someone close to you for followup care. After three months, adjustments are $15. Really. I believe, right before your surgery, they do some blood work and they take a urine test. (and I mean right before, while your in your cute little blue gown!)

Here is a silly question...are you coming from California? Again, welcome to the board!:rolleyes:

mal - Best wishes and prayers to your son! Is it the young, quiet man we met at Red Robin? I hate drama too! But my life was full of it for years. I am now a surviving Drama Queen, and just know that you won't given anything you can't handle, ad nauseum..... I used to respond when people told me that, "but please make my life boring for a little while?"

Are you an emotional eater? Get some Protein shakes and bars to take with you. Hospital waiting rooms are so stressful.

Woofay - don't we love company. I'm sure the weather will do it's best for you. If not, there will be an adventure to tell.

Selbi - welcome! Dr. K is a great doc. He did my surgery with less problems than I had ever had in a surgical situation, plus his rates are reasonable. A $15 fill is a buy in this inflated market.

Hugs to all my special women out there. We never hear any chatter from men, so I think I'm safe. My painted ladies are coming along, along with small fun whimsical paintings and plaster whimsy hands holding bowls. August 18th in Breckenridge at the Wine Festival - you are all invited! I'll get my sis to send me the flyer and put it on here, if I can figure out the computer stuff.

Thanks gals!

Thanks for the prayers and the wisdom. I tell ya' my life has always been fairly predictable and very sructured, but since May, things sure have changed!! Always something going on, I don't tknow that I CAN handle any more drama...I am ready to be a "Surviving Drama Queen"!!!, not a struggling one!:drama:

Thank goodness I am not a stress eater. I am a "eat everything in the evening eater". Since getting the band and my first fill, I have been eating three meals a day and that really helps with not wanting to eat so much in the evening.

WELCOME shelbi~

Dr. K and is staff are wonderful. Great surgeon, and his staff makes you feel comfortable. As busy as they are, they always have remembered my name and greeted me.

The surgeon at Children's thinks it is a mucle tear, the next stop is a MRI, whenever we can get one scheduled. Dr. says nothing can be done for a tear, no ice, no heat...just motrin. He also says no work for him for about six weeks!! WOW, good for him that he is spoiled by mommy and daddy!

Thanks for the very kind welcoming words everyone!

Woofay: No, I'm not coming from California :rolleyes: Callie is my precious cat. :cat: I'm traveling from the other coast-- I'm a Carolina girl!!! Thanks for the information about the labs and tests. I've already had a surgical consult here and received a list of lab tests that I needed to have done before surgery in NC. After looking closely, some of the tests were probably geared toward folks who are having the bypass. I mean, come on, why would the sugeon need to know my Vitamin B 12 level prior to surgery if I'm having the lap band?? Geeze. I think the surgery here in NC is way over priced! The hospitals seem to have a powerful lobby here in NC and do not allow lap bands to be done anywhere but in a hospital facility. There are absolutely no surgeons in NC who do the surgery in a ambulatory surgery center:rolleyes . I guess the hospitals aren't willing to share their piece of the lap band profits pie. The lowest hospital charge that I've found in NC is $12K and that doesn't include the surgeon fee and anesthesia fee. And then they want to tack on so many extras ($1200 for a nutritionist? ) I tell ya, it's an outrage!:angry

After talking with surgery practices in FL and Ga, I must say that I'm getting a really good vibe from everything I hear and learn about Dr. K. So, I took the plunge and I called Dr. K's office this morning -- spoke with Robin who was so very nice. We talked for awhile and I asked her about why there were no required preliminary tests/lab work. She said that Dr. K doesn't order pre-tests routinely, but if he decided that I needed any he would order any tests based on his assessment of me and my medical history. I nearly fell out. You know, like there is really a doc out there who is going to do like doctors are supposed to do instead of having a cookie cutter list of test that everyone needs?? WOW! :clap2: That sold me!! That was the most refreshing response that I've heard from any of the many, many surgeon practices I talked to. I have found a surgeon that is going to treat me like an individual. Love it!!

Now I'm waiting for Marilyn to call next, so I can get things rolling. I'm looking forward to talking to Dr. K. and to getting to know all of you. I am so very, very excited!!!!!

Shelbi

ShelCal- Welcome! I just got back from surgery last week and things are going great. Dr. K did not have me do ANY tests, including some urine and blood whilst in the gown as Woofay stated! I didn't find this unusual as he's not using insurance and doesn't have to "prove" that our obesity is a health risk, etc. I know he does pre-op testing on a patient by patient basis though. Marilyn will give you all the info you need to set up your post-op appt. and surgery. I stayed for two days post-op and I HIGHLY suggest bringing someone with you, even if they are just a driver! This goes for all the new Out of Towners!

I took off my tape/bandages today. The incisions are a little sore so I put steri-strips on a couple of them so my skin doesn't pull....much better!

I've been kinda blah on the whole Protein shake thing...I usually like them, but I'm just not in the mood this week. I think my chickens are eating healthier than I! LOL!

Mal - Geez! I had a month like that last year....by the end of the month I was just so stressed that I started praying, "Bring it on! I can handle it!" There's a hymn in my church that talks about our trial and one of the lines is, "And if I die before my journeys through, All is Well, All is Well!" I swear that was my theme song! LOL! May God give you the strength too!

Woofay - try housetraining a Boston Terrier....is just doesn't happen! Too bad, they are so cute and ours was so much fun, I just couldn't have my new baby crawling around on the floor only to find a "Tootsie Roll" to munch on (this didn't happen, but it was a BAD vision)...he found a new home where they just love him...we miss him a lot, but it's all for the better! If I only knew.....chickens crap A LOT! Have fun with all those visitors! (See, it pays to live out in the middle of nowhere!)

Dynamo - the friend we stayed with while there is a painter and holds private classes. She let my sister sit in on one and my sister actually had the better painting! LOL! Sue kept saying, "Try mixing these colors....apply like this...you know, like Mary!" It was too funny! Good luck with yours! Hey, there's a few planes for sale here...you interested?

Thanks Mal! I leave tomorrow morning and surgery is on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes, probably on Tuesday!:whoo:

Biggest Loser~WELCOME!

Shesha~We will be thinking about you on Monday, have a great weekend!

Dynamo~yes, the puppy is keeping me busy along with all my preschoolers! We have a busy, fun filled day!!

Drews~Darn it, it looks like we won't make it tonight!!! I have your other bouts on my calendar, I hope to see one!!! Here's the new drama...my son possibly has a hernia and he is heading to children's this morning. We spent last Sunday in the ER with him (spent the day before in the Vet ER with my Buddy), they sent him home, said they couldn't find anything, took him to a Urologist, he said to take him to his Pediatrician, they said to take him to Children's, and that is where we are today. The poor guy has been in pain for weeks! GOD PLEASE no more drama!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been incommunicado, been busy painting and getting stuff together for the remodel. Now I am home without any Water. Such are life's inconvieniences - and the swamp cooler can't work without Water either, so it's going to be Hot AS Hell! Enough, so what am I going to do? Shopping for a fan.

Anyway - nothing really new here. My band is working and my weight loss is pretty slow, not sure why. So I am tracking my food again. Hope all is well in your worlds. Anyone read the new Harry Potter? I just listened to it. My son downloaded it onto my computer. So I listened while I painted, but i am not going to tell you the ending. It is really long.

Hugs,

Michelle

Hi Everyone, I like many others was planning on going to Mexico for LB surgery, then someone suggested Dr K. in Denver and since I am from Colorado I looked into Dr K. I also have been watching this thread for a few days and since everyone has good things to say about him and his staff I decided to go with Dr K. I called and talked to Marilyn this morning and tentatively set a date for 9/18, but I think I will call back and change it to the end of October.

Thanks for letting me read all of your encouraging words about Dr K and helping me make up my mind to call him instead of going to Mexico. I will let you know what date in October I finally decide on.

Hi,

I haven't been in here for a while. Since the thread is so long read the last page for now......

Shelbicallie, I see that you are also from NC. Just letting you know you would be in great hands with Dr. K. The best rate I could get in NC was around $15,000 in Charlotte. Even with the cost of the flight (3 people), hotel (3 nights), and rental car I still came out way better. Plus, I got a great surgeon. I live in Durham and the rates are outrageous here.

Shesha, I see that you had your port fixed today. I am sure everything went great. I'm have to check back for your post tomorrow.

I have a quick question for Dr K's patients. How many of you have had the left shoulder pain that I have heard about? I have heard that it can be very, very painful and could be the result of a pinched nerve from the band.

Hey friends, this is a silly question, but I would like to put my ruler up from the ticker factory and I don't know how to do it. Could someone give me instructions. I can cut and paste but I don't know where to c&p it to. Thanks

Nic - the pain is not from nerve damage or anything...it is called "referred pain", but it's not referred from anything. What it is is the CO2 (they blow your tummy up with that) that was not completely deflated from the lap procedure....it usually tries to get out through your shoulders. When I had a lap chole (gallbladder removal) the pain was terrible in my right side. After Dr. K's band I had a little "stiffness" in between both shoulder blades...lasted a few days, but was NOTHING compared to that lap chole! The referred pain is selective, some get it, some don't and there's no way to tell who will. I've also heard that the band referred pain is a lot less than other lap procedures...don't know why. Don't let this deter you!

As for the ticker....go to www.tickerfactory.com enter all your stuff and it will give you a code. Copy the code and insert it into your signature (look up above under Quick Links to Edit Signature). When you want to change it you just click on your ticker and it will open the site to change it and it will automatically change it on your posts.

Hi All!

I am home now in WI. I walked in the door at Midnight! What a long day!!

The port was flipped. Dr. K reattached it and all went well.

I'll write more later!

Good Night!