Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I am waiting for approval for the gastric sleeve (which will come bcuz I've met all the criteria). I was ready and excited. But 2day I feel scared out of my mind! Somebody plz help me! The reality of cutting away my stomach and this thing being irreversible is really weighing heavy on my soul. Does the cut ever heal over the staples or are u ALWAYS at risk for stomach leakage? I am tearing up as I'm typing bcuz I know I need 2 make a change and time is winding down. With the surgery is your body capable of getting the true correct nutrients, Vitamins ane etc.(after all these are the things ur body uses 2 fight off other diseases). My husband says I shouldn't do it. But he's not 100 lbs overweight...I AM! NOW I'm really starting to cry uncontrollably. I need to hear from some REAL PEOPLE....REAL TALK! I'm praying asking God if this is right. O God plz help me! In JESUS NAME

I felt the same way pre-surgery. I was gonna let them cut out 85% of my stomach????????!!!!!!!!! I even chickened out on my 1st attempt to see the bariatric doctor, but I couldn't see a better future without the surgery, so I pushed on through with the appointment the next month.

After they do the leak test post-surgery, you should not bee concerned about leaks, unless you don't follow the post-op guidelines your doc will give you. I was told the at 6 weeks the stomach is fully healed.

You will be instructed to take Multivitamins, Iron, Calcium and B12, but with the sleeve, you do not have the same chance of Vitamin deficiency from food malabsorpiton as with RNY - gastric bypass surgery.

By 6 weeks, I was back to eating almost anything I wanted, just less of it. So, I am able to get most of my Vitamins from food - as long as I eat healthy. I strive for my meals to be 1/2 Protein, 1/4 vegetables, 1/4 starches.

I take 1 multivitain and sublingual B12 in the mornings and 500 mg of calcium citrate in the evening. Nothing to it, if I miss a day, it's no big deal.

Pre-op, I've gone as long as 5 days, eating nothing and drinking only coffee and Crystal Light, and experienced no side effects. It takes a while for a deficiency to happen.

We were all scared going into this surgery.. but I found I had only one regret.. That I had not done it sooner than now.... Everything went well.. im doing great.. I feel great.. reg diet now after the phases that were required.. some restrictions like popcorn..cant have that til im 6 mo out.. but hey small price to pay.. Im not ever hungry ever.. I get my Protein in..and that is the most important.. protein protein protein.. sip sip sip and walk walk walk.. im post op since dec 20 and im down 60lbs... and cant be happier.. just bought a new pair of pants for the gym and a shirt..and had to by 2 sizes smaller.. I was jazzed.. and dont forget.. to take your vitamins.. minimal pain in the beginning.. they give you pain meds for that.. I had scheduled stuff that went into my IV.. then some liquid lortab went home with me.. so all was good.. you will feel tired a lot in the beginning.. but thats normal.. and as always.. follow your docs and your nuts instructions.. and you will be successful.. best of luck to you..and if you have any questions.. just ask.. everyone here is a great help.. specially with their own experiences... welcome to the losers club :)

I am scheduled for March 25 surgery. This is a very scary time for us. But think of not doing this and maintaining our normal lives. I can't. I'm a guy but really look forward to shopping for new clothes and possibly a look or two from someone especially my wife. Struggle through it with prayer. You will be strong enough to complete this journey. I look forward to my new life. You should too. GOOD LUCK and God bless.

Take a Xanax and chill out . It's not that bad lol. :)

I hope you were trying to be funny, but it came across as kind of inconsiderate... these are real fears that I think we all have and just being reassured that having that "moment of doubt" is normal and that others have had it , too, is all that the OP needs to hear. Glib comments are what make people afraid to ask anything.

Hey, thanks for posting, I just got the call from my dr on Friday stating that I was approved for surgery. I was so excited I cried. My surgery is scheduled for March 19th.

Today I find myself bring scared. It was comforting to know that I am not the only to feel that way.

Hi, do it when u r ready or u can do the lapband still a good tool and u can have it removed. I have been waiting 8 years for this my surgery is march 7. It is scary but i am definitley ready. I can even feel the change in me being on liquid diet for a week now i told myself if i couldnt do 2 week liquid then im not ready. Look into yourself.

I hope you were trying to be funny' date=' but it came across as kind of inconsiderate... these are real fears that I think we all have and just being reassured that having that "moment of doubt" is normal and that others have had it , too, is all that the OP needs to hear. Glib comments are what make people afraid to ask anything.[/quote']

No I was playing everyone is scared it wouldn't be normal if u weren't scared . Guess people don't have a sense of humor these days!

I am in the same boat! I just started the process and have to start my 3 month supervised diet next week. My mom doesn't want me to get it and I'm super nervous of any complications. But I just keep reminding myself that if I stay at my current weight I will suffer more severe health issues. Keep us posted Dynamitetee!

Can I just say how glad I am that I found this site? My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, March 7th. I'm all over the place emotionally, happy, sad, excited, scared, thrilled, horrified. I am SO glad this is normal! My thing now is about the pre-op diet. I've actually done really good which leads me to believe that I should just keep going and not get the surgery. Then I think about all of the hundreds of other times I dieted and lost weight and then it came back with a vengeance. One interesting thing, my Dr. did not put me on a liquid diet but rather, a high Protein, low carb diet to shrink the liver. Anyone else have the same kind of pre-op diet?

THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my "scared out of my mind" statement. YOU GUYS ARE SOOOO AWESOME! I've had some time to marinate on everyone's thoughts and advice and today is a MUCH better day for me. Also I called my surgeons answering service on Saturday not expecting a response until Monday morning. To my suprise my surgeon checked his messages and PERSONALLY gave me a call on SUNDAY (his day off). When he heard how concerned I was he personally gave me a call and answered ALL my questions. He assured me that he would not leave the operation room without making sure I was 110% ok. I needed to hear that. I did ALOT of research on him before choosing him as my surgeon. I couldn't find anything negative on him. The more I researched the more I learned about even more of his amazing credentials. It's also great to know that he's never lost a patient from the wls he's performed.

I'M MENTALLY BACK ON TRACK! This forum has truly been a blessing to me. You all are such a great group of people. I am going to keep everyone posted on my progress. I am expecting great things in my future and this surgery is going to allow me to not just be around...but it's going to enable me to have a strong finish in everything I put my mind to. My husband and I are going to my last and final class.. the pre op class 2morrow. God has surrounded me with the support that I need. Im excited about a new and improved healthier me. Im saying goodbye to the fat life. I cant wait to see and hear my family's comments as I see them in the summer time for all the family get togethers. The only ppl I have told is my husband and son...and my favorite cousin. Everyone else will just see results. I figured out what I would say when they start asking "what are you doing to lose weight?". Im going to say, " I'm pushing away from the table...eating less. Im still being truthful but yet holding on to my privacy. They dont have to know HOW! LOL. I always like to find a way to "pay it forward". I have a cousin that got the lapband about 3 years ago. She was losing ALOT of weight. She was SO HAPPY! It made me feel good to see that new spring in her step. All of a sudden I heard she was having complications with it. The next time I saw her, she had gained all her weight back and it looked like an additional 50lbs. She was at least 275 or more overall. I COULDNT BELIEVE IT! I didnt dare ask her about it because it was obvious that she didnt have the lapband in anymore. She stopped showing up at the family functions. My heart goes out to her. After adjusting to the surgery and my new way of life, I am considering talking to her about it. I'll have to play it by ear. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks again.

Keep me in your prayers,

Dynamitetee

I will defiantly keep you in my prayers. I'm preparing for surgery in the morning and I have all kinds of thoughts but I've prayed and prayed and I believe in the power of my prayers. I'm doing this for me!! I want to be comfortable in my skin and healthy! I pray that everything works out for you!

Hey Everybody!

My surgery is scheduled for March 21st (this thursday). I'm a little nervous but I am ready. BRING IT ON!

kEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS!

My surgery was Nov. 13. I'm 4 months out and down 60 pounds. It's been the best thing I've ever done. It is a life change as far as eating goes. I've had some

struggles but have never regretted having it done. It takes patience. Let us know how things go.