Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

For those of you frustrated at not losing right after surgery!

I would think that if you're not losing weight, that you will need to step up the exercise, as allowed by your doctor. I count every pound as a bonus and one more not added!!

And I really have to agree with those who remind us that we are in the healing stage. Give yourself a break. Stay off the scales. When you dropped calories so significantly from what you once at, your body goes into starvation mode and hangs onto the weight, waiting for the famine. Eat healthy, get your liquids and move. Haven't we all heard that one before? We know it is the truth!

Be kind to yourself and patient. It will come!

Shawn

I talked to my nutrtionist about the whole "how can I only eat X amount of calories and only lose a few pounds?" She told me that when we go from eating 1,000+ calories to 400-800 calories a day, our metabolism goes into "survival mode" and stores all the calories that it can because it is getting used to such a big change, therefore a slow weight loss in the beginning or no weight loss at all. Also, as stated before, we are all still in the healing stages. Exercise helps kick that metabolism back into gear. I think we should get some sort of exercise thing together to keep us all motivated. Maybe around March when we're all healed and the weather is a little better everywhere?

I talked to my nutrtionist about the whole "how can I only eat X amount of calories and only lose a few pounds?" She told me that when we go from eating 1,000+ calories to 400-800 calories a day, our metabolism goes into "survival mode" and stores all the calories that it can because it is getting used to such a big change, therefore a slow weight loss in the beginning or no weight loss at all. Also, as stated before, we are all still in the healing stages. Exercise helps kick that metabolism back into gear. I think we should get some sort of exercise thing together to keep us all motivated. Maybe around March when we're all healed and the weather is a little better everywhere?

I was wondering about this too. I was thinking how could I not be losing more? "Survival mode" makes sense though. I keep reminding myself I'm healing and have to learn to have patience. I'm surprised about all of the support I'm getting from my family, and band mates....they are the best!

Hi Moderator and all else,

I want to be added to the January Bandsters group if possible. My date was January 16th. Recovery was easy, and now about three weeks later I'm down 23 pounds a feeling great!

Anyhow, I hope to be part of the group.

Hello all ... i was banded on jan 29th and have lost 15 pounds so far ... not feeling too badly, just shoulder and port pain but i've read that's pretty normal. I am eating mushy foods and get full pretty easily i think ? all in all it was a really good procedure and I haven't had many problems ... if anyone has any questions ... feel free to e-mail me !! good luck everyone !!!

Hi everyone ... i have been reading the post everyday but haven't said much other than my initial hello but i have a question now i'm hoping someone can answer since i'm a late january bander .... SOOO ... today is my 2 wk mark and i've been trying to walk on the treadmill while on my lunch break, but when i do, my port location really starts to ache and and then is sore for the rest of the day ?? When did everyone start excercising ? Am i trying to start too early ? Thanks for the input in advance !!

:)

Hi everyone ... i have been reading the post everyday but haven't said much other than my initial hello but i have a question now i'm hoping someone can answer since i'm a late january bander .... SOOO ... today is my 2 wk mark and i've been trying to walk on the treadmill while on my lunch break, but when i do, my port location really starts to ache and and then is sore for the rest of the day ?? When did everyone start excercising ? Am i trying to start too early ? Thanks for the input in advance !!

:)

Hi MonSoleil...Congratulations on your banding...I started to walk slowly on my 4th day after surgery. I do the Mall Walking though... The tread mill was too intense for me and caused pain...I walked for maybe 20 minutes and was fried!! I went back everyday though and tried wlaking maybe 10 more minutes every day. Now I'm up to 5 miles a day. Now this is regular walking, nut power walking or anything like that. Somedays I go faster than others.. I did try to go back to my kick boxing but it's too early for me. I have come to realize though that the healing process is a very personal thing... Everyone heals very differently. My MD couldn't believe I was already walking that far...I hope this helps! :)

:confused:

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I got really really sore in my port area. I talked to my doctor and he said STAY OFF THE TREADMILL for 4 - 6 weeks, but I can walk a track, or walk my block, or mall, etc. The treadmill is a little too bouncy. Some people I guess do fine with it, but it made me really sore. So, I'm walking our long halls at work for now.

I think in March, we can all start posting our exercises, etc. I'll be keeping track of mine in my journal too, along with my munues.

I have to go get a malapsorbtion test, my doctor requires it before my 1st fill. I can't believe I have to get that test, when I had the lap band, not gastric bypass, but oh well.

I go to my appointment 3/1 and will have my fill shortly afterwards.

I am wanting to kick up my exercises, I can't wait to get back to weight training and the eliptical machine. However, my body is still refusing to let me kick it up a notch. My doc said no weights for the first 3 months, which bugs me. I think the more muscle I can build, hopefully the less sagging skin I will have. I'm 40 and need all the help I can have. I don't want the apron!

Hi Bandsters,

I've been talking on the Montana boards and someone said that she has to come over to my city to get her fills because nobody else in the state (not that there are that many) will do fills on Mexico patients. Anybody have any thoughts on that or anything to compare? The doctor I will be going to has apparently done 75 lapband surgeries as opposed to my Dr. in Mexico who has done thousands. I wonder about the ethics of a doctor refusing to provide care? Just in a general sense, since I'm going to be taken care of.

Okay, nuff of that....I've committed myself to my exercise program. I hit the elipital for 15 minutes (could only do 10 last week) and then did a bunch of strength training via pushups, situps, etc. I hurt too much last week to do situps after the first time, but today was good. I'm healing well so I'm thinking I can do some easier stuff. Just beginning the process.

I'm amazed and in awe of the person who is hitting 5 miles a day. Great going! That is my goal as wel, soon as the weather is not set on SNOW! I like to walk.

Shawn

that is what i'm worried about is the sagging skin! So i thought if i could start walking right away it might help, but man it kicked MY butt ! And i was doing the rowing on the bowflex from home before the surgery but i think that would definitely be a bad idea now due to all the stomach muscles used ... i think i'll start walking slower and around the block and maybe that'll help .... thanks for the help !!

Hi, fellow January bandsters. I keep reading everyone saying "be patient, we are healing, etc" but it appears that most of you have lost significant pounds so far....however, I (like a few others) lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks and nothing since, so it is very difficult to stay motivated. First fill next week so hopefully, that will help. But the majority of the January bandsters seem to be way ahead of us slow losers.....I'm happy for all of you, but disappointed in my own progress so far.

travelbug, I have lost a lot of weight, but I'm counting my pre-op. I lost 20 lbs BEFORE I even had surgery. I started really trying to lose weight the second I got off the scales at the doctor's office in November, I didn't have my surgery until January. So I had 2 months of dieting before my surgery.

I know some just count their day of surgery weight, but to me, I've worked hard at losing every pound, so I'm counting them all. Pre-surgery and all.

Now, as for slow loser's, let me tell you, I lost a lot my first 2 weeks, I was only on Clear liquids, so who wouldn't lose. Then I gained my 3rd week. And then I lost this week.

I think what happens is your body has to catch up to you, once it realizes your not going to "starve" yourself, it will release more poundage. Also, drinking Water is so important.

I also was put on a c-cap machine for sleep apnea, and I really think this has sped up my matabolism.

I know it is frustrating, I was depressed my third week when I gained a pound, so I had my DH & DD hide the scales from me, now I'm trying to only weigh 1 x per week, or 1 x per month.

My next weigh in will probably be 2/18, my 1 month anniversary.

I'm also only able to eat 1/2 cup of food per meal, I know many are able to eat more right now. But so far, I'm still really really restricted. If I eat more than 1/2 cup of food, I get a horrible pain in my left shoulder, kinda like the gas pains. I have over eaten twice, and both times, ended up in bed with a heating pad on. Now I just measure my food out and eat really slow.

Please don't be disappointed in your own progress, sometimes slow & steady really will win the race.....And congratulations on 10 lbs lost forever!

Also, the older we get, (over 40) we start losing muscle every year. The less muscle we have, the slower our matabolism moves. I firmly believe weight training is very important with anyone over 40 (or younger) because this will help us lose weight. I plan on starting my weight training as soon as I can (after 3 months). I'm hoping to hire a personal trainer for 1 month, 3x per week to help me out.