Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lizv - you are so right to post your experience. I am so sorry to hear what you went through. Every person who has not already had the surgery should consider the risks.

Just out of curiosity, because it seems like this is not standard practice across the nation, did you have a leak test the day after surgery?

I'm so glad you're out of the hospital and pray you gain strength every day!

lizv - you are so right to post your experience. I am so sorry to hear what you went through. Every person who has not already had the surgery should consider the risks.

Just out of curiosity' date=' because it seems like this is not standard practice across the nation, did you have a leak test the day after surgery?

I'm so glad you're out of the hospital and pray you gain strength every day![/quote']

I am a leak survivor a well. I had surgery 9/5/12. I did have a leak test post surgery and passed but was readmitted to the hospital on 9/9/12 for emergency surgery to repair the leak. I was in the hospital for about 2 weeks, discharged and on a feeding tube for 7 weeks. I had a lot of regrets while i was healing but despite all i have gone through, i am glad i had the surgery. I have lost 47 lbs which is less than some with my surgery date but that is way more than i could have loss on my own. Lizv i sympathize with u because i felt the same way you do but i can say life gets better. I cried all the time because i had no strength and i felt helpless. Honestly i am still not 100% but i can say everyday its better than the last. You will get through this and start rocking that sleeve.

All great responses i guess i am slightly chicken, but i have to get healthy for myself and my fam and i dont want to be on meds like folks in my fam....does anyone know about the test they do prior to check if you have a hernia? ? I want to be able to say no regrets as well...i am 30 at 232 5" and that's too much weight i have to lose it...

Like most here, I don't have regrets about the procedure itself. I'm five months out and have lost 57 pounds since surgery, 83 pounds including pre-op diet. I've never lost that much weight on my own, let alone in just a year's time. There are some foods I no longer care for and eating carbs in the form of bread products is very uncomfortable. But it's a small price to pay.

However, heed the words of the two posters who shared their leak experiences. It can happen. You have to be prepared for that possibility. Of course, there is a risk to any surgery. My daughter's friend had two hospitalizations due to problems with her gall bladder surgery, which is the second most common procedure done in the US. So if something that "routine" can have problems, anything can.

As far as hiatal hernias are concerned, my surgeon detected it on the chest x-ray they did as part of my pre-op tests. Oddly, the EGD I had done several month earlier didn't show anything. And sometimes they won't know until the are actually doing the sleeve. But if you have one, they'll repair it at the same time.

Do your research, think long and hard and then decide what you want to do. You really do have to be mentally prepared for this step. I think there are way too many people who rush into being sleeved without taking into account all the changes it brings.

My only regret is waiting a lot of years to do something about my weight, now 7 months out and 107 lbs down, I am a different person, a better, healthier me! Thank you to my sleeve!

Sent from Gaye's iPad Mini using VST

My only regret is telling some people. I wish I had only told my husband. Other than that I'm a year out and four pounds under my goal and 11 under my dr's. greatest thing I ever did for myself. It's been much easier than I expected.

What kind of backlash came from being open with people? I'm only 3 weeks out. I have told my close friends and family but its a secret at work.

No regrets!!

No regrets...would do it again in a heartbeat!

6 months out and no regrets. I also have a pretty strong sleeve. Protein shakes (certain brands) bother me, but I can eat anything I want. Just in much much smaller quantities. I keep it healthy, get my Protein in first. I'm down 75+ pounds and loving my sleeve!

Did you substitute anything for the Protein Shakes? I have a difficult time with them and know that I am not getting the protein I need to heal. I am 2 weeks out.

I am two weeks out. I am looking forward to pureed foods next. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Have lost 28 pounds so far and am happy about that.

I don't really have any major regrets. I'm happy. The only thing I wished I had done is take measurements. I totally forgot.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Me too :( Too nervous to think straight at that point, lol. Of course I have the regret of not doing it sooner. Other than that, none.

With my family history, losing the weight was not an option. Since I was never successful (or at least with losing weight and keeping it off) the sleeve was the answer for me. I want to see my kids grow and not just be another member of my family to leave my kids too early. The odds of dying young were far greater without the sleeve than the risk of getting the sleeve. Other than the first couple rough days, I have tolerated the procedure well. I too have a rather hardy sleeve. The only thing I can't handle is pork, sooo I just eat other stuff. I am so very happy I decided to cough up the money and get the sleeve done :)

To the people that had leaks....what was your first sign/symptom that something was wrong. Is there something particular that causes it??

To the people that had leaks....what was your first sign/symptom that something was wrong. Is there something particular that causes it??

I asked the same question of my doctor, and was told that you would begin to feel pain. The causes might be drinking big gulps instead of sipping slowly, and eating things too early on.