Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60+ sleevers please help

I am 64. I was sleeved on Aug.5, 2015. I have lost 40 lbs. but I am stuck on 40. It is frustrating. My biggest problem is Constipation. I am drinking my Water. I have also tried Milk of Magnesia and Miralax. It has not worked. Can I eat bran flakes? How do I get som fiber? Help!

Check with your doctor but Metamucil taken regularly and as directed has worked for me. This stuff has been recommended by multiple doctors for me. I am prone to diverticulitis and elimination is crucial to me. The only problem with Metamucil is that it requires drinking 8 ounces of water at a time and somewhat quickly. That is not always possible for new wls folks. Smaller doses at a time would be better in that case. Again, check with doc.

I 2nd the metamucil. I put it in crystal light and drink it fast. It gets thick if you don't drink it fast. It's the only thing safe long term. In the beginning when I couldn't drink very much, I would have to use a fleets enema before it got too bad. You can take stool softners too, when you're early out, if you can't drink enough metamucil.

I had my sleeve on September 29. I am doing well and have already lost 16 pounds. I have trouble exercizing so I intend to ask my Family Practioner for a script for physical therapy. Water areobics after PT is my plan. It is nice to connect with other people that are 60 plus.

Two things....first @ Mokee....you just had major surgery! So of course you cannot move a lot; I was SO tired the first few months...I would eat two teeny bites and then have to go lay down....but I'll bet you are getting stronger EVERY day. And how far could you walk before you lost 33 lbs? You have made a major, positive change in your body and your life....and every day gets a little better.

@ Outrigger42 I was 58 when I had my surgery...I am almost 62, have been at goal for over 3 years and have been living a life I never dreamed about! In fact, I completely reinvented myself. Find another surgeon....(MHO). You are NEVER TOO OLD TO GET HEALTHY and live the life you always imagined!!!

I'm really struggling. I had another back surgery and they told me not to eat a high Protein diet which is the way I have been eating for 9 years. They told me not to diet while I am trying to get the bone to graft. It's maddening.

I called the physical therapist I wanted to go to and they have had a death in the family and are really short handed. I need to go back to the gym but I'm not sure what I'm allowed to do. I'm still supposed to wear my back brace for another month.

It's really hard not to graze when I am stuck in the house so much. I have to get a handle on this before I have nothing to wear. I am at my highest weight since being sleeved, because I have gained back the 15 lbs I regained and lost last summer. I am depressed. :(

Can't lose this last 20#. I was sleeved on January 2014. At 225#

Today at 1yr and 9 months.. I hold at 162-165.# for the past 9 months.

I'm 5'6" tall and Will be 62 yrs in February 2016.

I still have trouble digesting solid foods and go for Soups and softer foods.

Does anyone else have trouble with solids even after a year or Two?

I was sleeved 2 years ago. Age 69 now. Have regained 20 lbs I cannot lose. Ate too much Protein, got horrible debilitating gout for 5 months. I have no restriction eating whatsoever. I am struggling. Surgeon says eat fruit. my lips are peeling layer after layer. I cannot eat citrus at all! I am back on Bariatric Pal to try and get back on track. I feel I am not getting the proper nutrition, gout meds put me in the hospital, I am up and down trying everything.

Hi. Oregondaisy. I'm 65 and one year out. Not to goal yet, about half way. I am under 200 and scared to death I will fall into old habits and go over instead of down.

I hear your frustration, back surgery, being told not to eat high Protein, weight stuck. That's tough. Can you put those aside one time a day and look at the successes: you HAVE lost weight, you HAVE hung in there, you ARE able to reach out to us. Those around you may not "get it", but I bet there is someone cheering for you- hey look! It's me!!!!

Try to find the part of this you Really like and think about that. Fix ONE thing for a month. Then another. Look for menu options- there are a ton of them. And keep talking.

Edited by CANOEINNH

Loopy lulu....hi. Gout is AWFUL you poor thing. I am only a year out and half way to goal. I too need all of you for encouragement. I am about to have a total shoulder replacement on Columbus Day. I expect the first part of recovery will be sleeping and not much appetite, but no exercise.

Is there a way we can talk(text) when that weak moment hits or the depression seems overwhelming?? It looks like there are four of us. Hopefully all four won't be down at the same time. Sometimes it helps me to feel better if I am focusing on someone else. Anyone have a comment ?

Surgery causes skeletal muscle to be broken down in order acids to the site of injury. They promote wound healing, help the immune system, and support vital organs. During healing, new cells are created to repair the damaged cells and new tissue and blood vessels are formed. If the diet is insufficient in Proteins, healing will be delayed.

Ideally, you should have slow-digesting Proteins such as ultra filtered whey Protein (medical grade), dairy products like cottage cheese and yogurt, fish, poultry, and lean red meat.

For loopylulu, the same would apply to you, but you need to stay away from foods that are high purines. I can send you a link if you would like. Peanut Butter would not be a good choice for you because it is loaded with purines, as are any legumes. But almonds or almond better would be good--just watch the calories.

I know a compound pharmacist who cured me immediately of the gout after 5 months of suffering. I just cannot seem to take off that 20 lbs I regained. As fall approaches I almost see myself returning to my old comfort foods (Bread). I am back here for support and motivation. Thanks!!!!!!

I will find out from Alex if the chat room is up and running . We could set a time to all meet in there and live chat.

Right now I am going to try to get into a physical therapist and I'm trying to do better with not eating junk. One day at a time!

For those who have trouble eating fruits and vegetables, I highly recommend the Nutribullet. It will even make Tomato or apple skins digestible because of the high-speed. Then, you can mix in your Protein (unflavored if you prefer). I use apples (remove the seeds), carrots, and peeled oranges a lot. Or, tomatoes, raw spinach (high in purines, though), carrots, celery, green pepper and seasonings. If you make one every day, you will notice a difference in your energy levels in about a week!

Ladies, we could go in the chat room and live chat. We would have to set a time because we are all in different time zones. I used to chat a lot in bariatric pal. It was a lot of fun.

Across the top click where it says patients, and then click on chat. Like I said, I am in Pacific time, so I am probably later than most everyone else. Chatting really is fun. The problem is at 6pm here, it's already 9 pm for someone on the east coast. I am not sure how many people stay up in the evenings or go to bed early.