Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60+ sleevers please help

It is nice weather here in MI. We spent the winter in FL and sure didn't miss the terrible weather. The warm weather makes my arthritis and fibromyalgia better. I'm hoping all that will improve with some weight loss. I've started walking outside, a little each day. I hope to get back into the Water in a couple of weeks. I am only two weeks out from my surgery tomorrow so I have to wait for more healing.

I'm from Chicago and miss the spring in the Midwest. Lived in FL for 25 ys. The humidity was no good for my arthritis and FMS. Love AZ w/the dryness. Where in FL do you winter? Lived in all areas of the state.

Your doing great for 2 wks out of surgery. Everyday is better and by 3 mo's you'll feel like a new person. I couldn't wait to get back into the Water to exercise either. Walking was harder for me on land.

Loosing the weight will help the FMS and arthritis greatly. I can't believe how much of a difference 26 lbs makes.

Take 1 day at a time and before you know it you'll be on your way to being thin. My Dr said it takes 18 mo's to get to my final weight. I have plenty of time.

outrigger42, I had a very large hiatal hernia and I only had trouble with cold drinks hitting the repair spot for about 4 days. After that, it has been fine. I don't even feel at almost 2 weeks out that I had surgery. I think you will be surprised at how quickly it heals.

Shersun, we live in Lake Wales, FL in the winter. It is about 45 minutes south of Orlando off of US 27. Love it there. It is a 55+ community and there is so much to do there. I will be excited to get back there after my weight loss and enjoy so many more things.

You are all such inspirations. I am struggling with this decision. It makes so much sense given my weight.

My question to you, especially those of you who have been way overweight for a very long time, is did you have any concerns about body image after weight loss? What I mean is, were you ever or are you now concerned about who you will be when you are thinner? I know this probably sounds crazy, but I am afraid I won't like myself. I have always been obese and morbidly obese. I don't know what it will look like to lose a lot of weight.

You are all such inspirations. I am struggling with this decision. It makes so much sense given my weight. My question to you, especially those of you who have been way overweight for a very long time, is did you have any concerns about body image after weight loss? What I mean is, were you ever or are you now concerned about who you will be when you are thinner? I know this probably sounds crazy, but I am afraid I won't like myself. I have always been obese and morbidly obese. I don't know what it will look like to lose a lot of weight.

i still am shocked when I look in a mirror other Thant own!! I don't look like myself but... Like what I see!!!

I am originally from Chicago too. I spent a lot of time in AZ when my parents were snow birds and eventually moved to Mesa. They lived there for 15 years before they died.

I miss Arizona a lot . I got to go to Chicago this past summer to see my brother. He has gained so much weight. I never told him I was sleeved and now that it's been 5 years, I think it's too late to tell him. He would be upset that I didn't tell him when

I went to MX and was sleeved by Dr. Aceves. My dad was not doing well at the time.

I love being sleeved. I am single and I get so many compliments from men all the time that say I don't look nearly 62. It's very flattering but they don't like it when they take me out to dinner and I eat such a small portion.

I live in Georgia I have Medicare it paid. But took one year to approve worth all the.test I went thru

Some states are different with Medicare approval for the sleeve. They changed the requirement in the MI., WI., IL area last June to allow the sleeve without waiting. I hit it just right. The by-pass was my only option before that. I didn't want to have anyone mess with my intestines. Once I heard I could have the sleeve, I went forward and was approved in 20 minutes. I was shocked. We were expecting at least a 6 month delay of weight loss checkins. I went to FL for the winter and came home and had my surgery. I was going to have to try to find a Dr. to check in with me every month and monitor if I lost any weight in FL. I feel blessed that everything went smoothly.

The other commenters are right - you should get a second opinion from another surgeon. Anyway, the main this is NOT our age, but the state of health we are in. I had complications, but that doesn't mean you will. Everyone is different. Actually, since losing weight, I have cut my medications nearly in half and some I don't need any longer at all!

I have had a knee replacement and two, multi-level spinal fusions. I can ride a bicycle if I take it easy on hills, but use an elliptical machine to get my heart rate up and get sweating, as it is easier on the knees than a regular bicycle. Recumbent bikes are good, too.

I find that I can walk with a LOT less pain than before the surgery, and walking is also good, even if you can't go very fast!

I would also encourage you to increase your Protein consumption. At only 50 grams per day, it really isn't enough. My NUT and surgeon recommend 80 - 100 grams a day. I use Protein powders and make some pretty awesome shakes with the Nutribullet! Getting enough protein seems to make me less hungry so often, too.

I am 66 and had surgery 5 weeks ago. I have lost a total of 33 lbs since the beginning of pre-op. Due to pain issues I am not able to exercise as many do. I can walk but it is very cold where I live and it would have to be in the house or the mall. I have gone to the mall numberous times but still can only walk a short distance and then I must sit down. I have only lost 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. It is very discouraging. I can not eat much. I try to drink all that is required but that is very hard also. Protein about 50 a day.

I would like to hear from others that are my age and how you are doing. Most people that post are 40 or less and don't have the problems older people have.

Hope you're feeling better by now and doing well. Don't know if you ever tried Isopure but it has 40 Protein per bottle and 160 calories; no carbs and tastes ok. Well some people have said they don't like it but to me it's very doable. I enjoy it. :)

Hi My name is Alfie. I will be 61 in December. I have the lap band since 2008 and am hoping for the revision to sleeve. My first appointment is tomorrow October 1 where I will get the 411 on what to do next. I already called my insurance and the nurse there told me he will take my case and watch out for my paperwork. I am super excited.

I wish all of us 60's all the best of everything!! We have a long life to live!!

My mom is 72 and having the surgery in two weeks. She is 5feet 2inches.she has had a hip replacement and both knees replaced, she has trouble getting around. We are all very happy for her. My husband and myself are having it on Oct 9. I will let you know how she does!

I started this thread almost 20 months ago. I have lost 108 lbs. I am so glad I went thru with this. I went from taking 150 units of insulin a day to NONE. This is the best thing that has happened. I wear a size 14 pants and a L shirt from a 24 1/2. XX. It took me 15months to get to goal. I did not exercise, not able. Had surgery Nov 2012 at age 66 (two days after my birthday). I am still on all other medications but I am glad the insulin is gone. It is such a joy to shop. So many choices in smaller sizes. I wore plus sizes most of my adult life.

Looking into plastics for my arms and breasts. Have an appointment. We will see.

Thought I would post this just in case any older folks are on the fence about having this surgery. Don't wait, do it. Life is too short to waste not being able to get around.

Best of luck to all.

@@mokee , that's an incredibly impressive success story.

Congratulations!