Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60+ sleevers please help

Shersun, I am in Jacksonville, North Florida. My daughter is in Pensacola, the Panhandle. I have had problems but I am still counting my blessings. m i think the weight loss helps. 60 lbs. ago I would have just retired into the bed, in misery and I am still kicking! I understand the Constipation. I go once a week and usually only with a laxative. A week ago I was on Immodium AD just to get home. I hope one day I find a "norm" but not yet. My husband and I were both sleeved, it was always about him, then some meds and a knee replacement sidelined me and my weight (diabetes and asthma) made me eligible for the sleeve thank God. At my present weight I feel slim, and before the sleeve I felt like a sluggish whale who could barely move. I felt my life was simply over. My husband and I are 100 lbs. apart roughly. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Life deals us some rough blows at times and some I do not know how I lived through them. Bless you and I hope that you have many friends and family to support you. I really like this thread, please post everyone. Linda

Medicare

Medicare advantage to California Kaiser covered all but one night stay in the hospital. What a bargain at $250

I was self pay because when I had men Medicare wouldn't pay for sleeve. Bought a townhouse in North Port got art of the year. Michigan now!

I am 65 had sleeve surgery on the 21st. of May. I also had a very large hiatal hernia repaired. The only addition pain I had with that is when I first tried cold drinks, a wave of pain hit that area for a second. After 4 days it was no longer a problem. I had no idea I had the hernia and felt I got a 2 for 1 deal! i am feeling terrific and so happy I did it. Don't base your prognosis on younger people. So many of them go and eat things before they should or don't listen to the Dr. I have followed the program perfectly and am doing fine. I have lost 24 1/2 lbs. already. I am ready for the pureed stage in a few days. It is so fun to add back in foods. After the liquid part, anything sounds good!!!

This is the best thing I ever did for myself after marrying my wonderful husband and caregiver, who has been so supportive and encouraging. I am diabetic and have gone from four injections a day for a total of 106 units of insulin to one injection a day at 20 units. What could be better for my health!!!?? So excited to be on this journey.

I am 65 had sleeve surgery on the 21st. of May. I also had a very large hiatal hernia repaired. The only addition pain I had with that is when I first tried cold drinks, a wave of pain hit that area for a second. After 4 days it was no longer a problem. I had no idea I had the hernia and felt I got a 2 for 1 deal! i am feeling terrific and so happy I did it. Don't base your prognosis on younger people. So many of them go and eat things before they should or don't listen to the Dr. I have followed the program perfectly and am doing fine. I have lost 24 1/2 lbs. already. I am ready for the pureed stage in a few days. It is so fun to add back in foods. After the liquid part, anything sounds good!!!

This is the best thing I ever did for myself after marrying my wonderful husband and caregiver, who has been so supportive and encouraging. I am diabetic and have gone from four injections a day for a total of 106 units of insulin to one injection a day at 20 units. What could be better for my health!!!?? So excited to be on this journey.

Congratulations Sue! My husband and I are 67, both sleeved the end of November, both had hernia repairs, and we both have done wonderful. I am off Metformin and my husband is down to a minimum dose of insulin. Would do this again in a heartbeat, have not had one "sick" day or bout of nausea from the sleeve. I feel bad for others who do have problems.

Anyone get acid indigestion after surgery? Sleeved 2-17 and doing great. Was on protonix for 90 days w/no refill. Dr said if I had acid indigestion to use Prilosec. I've been using Zantac 2x a day and thinking of getting Prilosec. Never had this before surgery. My Dr said there was a good chance I would. Anyone use Prilosec or if not what do you take that works?

Small price to pay for my better health. BP is 115/60, arthritis pain much less and I'm wearing a size I haven't in years. I was 66 when sleeved and turned 67 in March. I had 2 hip resurfacings and didn't want to outlive my hips so this surgery was the best thing I did. I'm bowling, exercising in the pool and doing things I had a hard time doing before surgery like tying my shoes.

The only real problem is the acid indigestion and Constipation (kept under control w/250mg stool softeners).

Anyone taking Iron?

I have Medicare and in one of the states that requires permission. I haven't heard anything so no news is good news. Limited income so I qualify for financial aide at hospital. Ridicules that all states but a few where you have to get permission for the sleeve.

I still have fatigue at times.......anyone else have this?

Weight loss is slow but that's ok. I just hope my hair doesn't fall out like so many have had. I have extremely thin hair as it is so I'm hoping w/the slow weight loss I won't loose it. I take Biotin 7,000 and my other Vitamins.

Glad everyone is doing well.

I had acid indigestion before the surgery and took Prilosec and still do. The Dr. said a minimum of 3 months. I had a hiatal hernia repair too. I hope to eventually get off of it.

With the Constipation. make sure you are taking in enough fluids. I was told that can happen if you don't. Hope it gets better. It does take a day or two for Prilosec to kick in. You only take it once a day.

I'm going out now to buy some Prilosec and see if it works better than the zantac.

I'm glad you got the hernia repaired and hopefully we'll both be off the Prilosec in time. If not I guess it's a trade I can live with for having the sleeve.

I drink a lot of Fluid to make sure I'm not dehydrated. Iron and high Protein tend to bind me up but the stool softeners work well.

Thanks for your help

I had acid indigestion before the surgery and took Prilosec and still do. The Dr. said a minimum of 3 months. I had a hiatal hernia repair too. I hope to eventually get off of it.
With the Constipation. make sure you are taking in enough fluids. I was told that can happen if you don't. Hope it gets better. It does take a day or two for Prilosec to kick in. You only take it once a day.

Edited by Shersun

No problems post-surgery (a year ago). Fatigue took Months to clear, but I took it as a license to nap!

Got Prilosec yesterday and it's helped already. I hope I'll be able to stop taking it in time. I think it might be a side effect of the sleeve. Time will tell.

Yes, naps are good and that's what's great about being retired.....taking a nap when I feel like it.

3.5 mo's after surgery all is good now that I have the acid indigestion under control.

Still amazed at the difference in amount of food I ate before the sleeve and the small amount I eat now. WOW

Thank you. We're all in this together and helping each other is what is so great about this group.

Some of the younger ones are having a hard time dealing with bat wings and sagging boobs etc. I had to chuckle since that's just a "perk" of being our age. They can save their $ to get that taken care of but at my age I figure it goes with the grey hairs and wrinkles I've earned through life. I'm just happy to have good health and having the scale move a pound lower every couple weeks.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

I'm with you Shersun, at my age, I am just happy to lose the weight and get healthy. I won't like the batwings, but they can be hidden with shirts.

Our health is our wealth and SSue we'll be very rich w/the weight loss. The bat wings will give us extra momentum in the Water. LOL Feeling good is so important at this age. So much of my arthritis pain has subsided since loosing the pounds. I'm so glad I had the surgery.

Hope your enjoying your warmer weather in MI. It's hot here in the valley but going to the outdoor pool at 6 pm for a hour of walking and exercise is the best part of the summer. I even feel good in a swim suit now.