Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated and very scared/emotional

Do you have any idea what they have to do to save you from a leak? I had knitting sized needles stuck down my back into my lungs, with only topical anestesia where they cut in. A garden hose with a suction machine attached to it rammed into my lungs, and kept their for a week..intense pain, again while awake. I nearly died from my lungs constantly being crushed by Fluid from the leak in my body. It was horrible...worst experience I've ever been through not to mention the most costly. A mistake is you ate a cookie when you were allowed Cookies but found a nut in it, which you aren't allowed. That's a mistake. Putting popcorn into a newly sleeved stomach...that's not a mistake, it's someone who should not have had this surgery until they were ready to commit to healing safely and changing their ways.

It's a complete disregard for their health and their families well being. It deserves a hard response. No pats on the back work for this kind of illness.

I totally get you & understand where you're coming from & why you feel the way you do- completely entitled. It's not so much your post, but others who were beyond mean just for the sake of it and then mocking the OP when she didn't respond. I wouldn't either...

OP, have you attended your surgeon or hospital's support group? Do you have a counselor/therapist?

Look, this surgery ain't for sissies. It's HARD, and it's REALLY hard for the 1st month! But you were brave enough to choose this and you've got to suck it up, get your head in the game and ROCK THAT SLEEVE, girl!!!

You HAVE to do this for the people who love you and most importantly, for YOU. You CAN do it, so DO it.

After surgery you have freedom of choice but not freedom of consequence.

Before surgery improper eating was slow death. After surgery early on it can be immediately lethal. This is a serious operation. There is no kindness in sugar coating when it gives the impression of casualness. Merciless clarity is kindness and responsibilty.

OP, see the doctor and NUT. The posters on this forum cannot predict what will happen or know what has happened to you.

I am very concerned for you, because I am not sure if you realize how serious this is.

First, your stomach is still healing and does not feel the fullness possibly as it is tender. Think about it like someone punched you in the face over and over and over then tore it open, then numbed it, then punched it again-I mean, you had a part of your stomach cut off. It is probably still quite numb and tender, so you cannot trust your stomach anymore. Zero. Not for at least six weeks or more...so think of your brand new stomach as your newborn daughter. Would you give your little infant baby girl popcorn and chicken, after just being born? Hopefully not. But your stomach is just as new, tender and sensitive as hers, and you can KILL yourself doing this...even if your new stomach is ccrying for food, your head needs to tell it what it needs, not the stomach or cravings.

Hey look, I am not perfect and I have fallen off the wagon a few times too, but in the first week my concern for YOU is that it is so soon in your surgery.

For now, please avoid all situations and outings that involve temptation, join a support group and also call your doctor or surgeon and notify them asap of what you have eaten to be on the safe side.

In the meantime, please stick to a strict liquid diet-no exceptions!!! of Protein shakes and pureed in another few weeks. If you need help with a diet please ask and I am sure people will share what worked for them.

Movie theatre popcorn is nutritionally an abomination-the sleeve is a tool but without the whole toolkit in use, you might as well of just lit your money on fire.

Be safe. Be smart. Take care of yourself, k?

As far as I'm concerned, Iggychic has earned the right to set folks straight by virtue of the hell that she went through. Her words have a heavy weight and deserve to be heard.

I am grateful that she is on the forum and speaks up in threads like this.

It is very kind of her.

OP' date=' see the doctor and NUT. The posters on this forum cannot predict what will happen or know what has happened to you.[/quote']

I agree with this. None of us can know what is going to be the out come of your choices of food. Also your Doctor and NUT really do need to know

I am very concerned for you' date=' because I am not sure if you realize how serious this is.

First, your stomach is still healing and does not feel the fullness possibly as it is tender. Think about it like someone punched you in the face over and over and over then tore it open, then numbed it, then punched it again-I mean, you had a part of your stomach cut off. It is probably still quite numb and tender, so you cannot trust your stomach anymore. Zero. Not for at least six weeks or more...so think of your brand new stomach as your newborn daughter. Would you give your little infant baby girl popcorn and chicken, after just being born? Hopefully not. But your stomach is just as new, tender and sensitive as hers, and you can KILL yourself doing this...even if your new stomach is ccrying for food, your head needs to tell it what it needs, not the stomach or cravings.

Hey look, I am not perfect and I have fallen off the wagon a few times too, but in the first week my concern for YOU is that it is so soon in your surgery.

For now, please avoid all situations and outings that involve temptation, join a support group and also call your doctor or surgeon and notify them asap of what you have eaten to be on the safe side.

In the meantime, please stick to a strict liquid diet-no exceptions!!! of Protein shakes and pureed in another few weeks. If you need help with a diet please ask and I am sure people will share what worked for them.

Movie theatre popcorn is nutritionally an abomination-the sleeve is a tool but without the whole toolkit in use, you might as well of just lit your money on fire.

Be safe. Be smart. Take care of yourself, k?[/quote']

This is a great example of how to supportively tell someone the seriousness of the dangers of eating wrong foods to early! She is stating all the dangers with out attacking the OP. Great Job Partofme!

You know there could be two schools of thought here. Picture a person considering a sleeve reading this thread. If it was filled with "oh poor you, try again tomorrow honey" they would not take seriously the threat of a leak. If sally did it and lived why can't I? If you see thread after thread like that, how would you understand the magnitude of what they are doing to themselves? But if instead they read this and go "wow, this must be serious....given the passion displayed here" they might think twice about having their internal organs cut off if they can't manage to say no to a bowl of popcorn for a month or two. If the OP choses to continue on this route, she will be one of the people that the sleeve either kills, or is not successful for. They do exist and I can almost list people who have posted things like this who I can see posting back in two years....why am I gaining weight, given they didn't kill themselves with popcorn or something similar.

Gman :) I don't know if I'm even kind anymore. I'm kind of peeved off actually. I suppose...no I know, that I don't want anyone to experience what I did, even people I get peeved off at due to posts like this, because it's just a hell no one deserves. But what really peeves me off is the parents of young children who post stuff like this. Kill yourself, slowly with food or quickly with surgery and nonadhearance to the program your doctor set out for you, but do that if you're single and have no one depending on you. If you can't avoid a cookie to be around for a few more years for your child, where is your head????? You have a responsibility to listen to what the doctor says if he cuts out chunks of your body for gads sake or that child might be without a parent sooner than they should be. This angers me. Enough that I do bite the hand that reaches out for help on occasion. My hope is that someone who never posts something like this reads this type of thread, that has gone in this direction and then never posts something like this because they got the message! Or because guilt about their children held them back, or because they didn't have the surgery because they realized they weren't ready.

I'd rather read that than another story of a leak and the torture a family was put through, both emotionally and financially. I hope the OP understands the seriousness of what she's done and toes the straight and narrow line (or is that tows?) anyhoo, I hope she gets it, or someone does, because nothing is worth it.

I agree with contacting your surgeon. It's better to play it safe than not.

A lot of it in the beginning is head hunger. You may want to talk to your psychologist about this as well. I don't want this to sound rude, but I believe most surgeons screen patients for this type of thing before surgery as like many people have stated, over eating can equal death.

Apart from that, dwelling on it will not change what happened. After contacting your surgeon, move on. And do try to not let it happen again. Apart from death and complications, it messes with the scale as well.

I made my yummy cheese rounds - parmesan cheese /mayo/ green onions mixed and spread on sliced banquette sourdough bread, then baked in oven. Smells delicious and they are so yummy.

I made them to bring to my sister's Christmas Eve and also for my house Christmas Day. Both days I had no thought or temptation to try to eat one, or anything else besides full liquids, as I was only just sleeved Dec. 18th.

I've been reading for hours on this forum and kept reading how people had 'cheated' just a little with toast and had no bad experience. Yesterday and today my husband cooked up batches of left over cheese rounds and I was very tempted to try and eat just one. But then I remembered reading the 'how serious this is' posts and I had a little cream of chicken Soup instead.

If I have any thoughts again of going off track again before i am fully healed I will jcome back and re-read this post. Thanks everyone for your help.

rorounds

My concern is what the OP is going to be eating when they are cleared for most foods .... Cookies, popcorn are slider foods and chicken nuggets that are processed and deep fried .... hmmm. I am sure you haven't done any permanent damage but you really need to be sticking to your plan .... all these are no-no foods. Here's me thinking I'm all bad arse and rebel for moving to puree stage 1 day early at 3 weeks!!

Just a bit of practical advice for the OP - If you are going out, make sure you pack portions of stage compliant foods. I do this, and put a little ice pack in my lunch bag. If you don't have to go searching for something to eat, it removes a lot of temptation.

I understand people cheat. We are human and cheating is what led to having major surgery. What I dont get is why you would cheat with such harsh foods. I cheated. Instead of SF pudding, I got regular pudding. I figured since I can only eat 1 ounce, that little bit of sugar won't kill me. I cheated with bouillon. Instead of sodium free, I used the regular salty stuff (I'm a self proclaimed salt fein). I kept what little cheating I did within the realm of my diet stage. I am now on soft food and I'm having difficulty with the stopping. Instead of 4 bites, I take 5 and feel like crap for an hour after. I could not even begin to imagine how a cookie, dry toast or popcorn would sit. Makes me pukey just thinking about it.

Not everyone responds well to Tough Love. People can speak truth with tact and respect.

To the OP today is a new day. You cant UNeat that stuff, but you can change how you act going forward. There is no such thing as willpower... It's a decision we make before the food hits our lips. Decide. Today. That you're going to continue down a safe healthy path so that you will be here for your friends and family. If it helps, tell your family what you can't have so they know not to offer it, not to have it around and to give you the evil eye if they see you going for it.

Your Mileage May Vary, so your story is yours and not anyone else's. What happened to Iggy may not happen to you.. What is more likely to happen is that you will fall into a pattern of bad eating post op and will stall and then gain back everything you've lost. I have seen this happen and that is more frightening to me than the scare of a leak.

Don't let that person be you.

I like visual examples.

You were out in the first snow of the year and like the Peanuts characters you decided to taste the snow as it fell. Your tongue was fully extended when a sharp piece of wing sheeting from a passing Extreme Budget airliner splits your tongue lengthwise. You rush your serpentine tongue to Ready Care and emerge later, unintelligible, in Loritab subdued pain.

Your doctor strictly forbade you to eat anything that would aggravate the stitched wound, put you on a liquid diet, and gave you instructions and a timetable for diet change.

But, wouldn't you know it, the annual Habanero Eating Contest is 2 days away and you need to defend your title!

What a dilemma!

Should you give up the trophy or risk joining the ranks of the eunuchs of old who, among other operations, were rendered tongueless to assure they wouldn't talk about their master's activities?

We were given brains that were designed to operate our bodies, not the other way around.