Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated and very scared/emotional

I forgot to mention that I have been able to get my fluids in with no problem so you are not alone with that. Also have been surprised at not having problems getting the Protein in after the first few days.

I'm starting to get so sick of reading these threads I don't enjoy signing on anymore. People care so little for their health...why on earth do you even have this surgery when you are willing to risk killing yourself for a freaking cookie or popcorn? It's not cheating. Such a sweet little word for risking your health and well being.

My leak (not caused by stupidity) cost half a million dollars. If your health and the horrific recovery process from a leak isn't enough to scare you from eating, how about a huge amount of debt???? Next time you're tempted ask yourself how many extra dollars that cookie is worth to you? IF it's worth that much to you...what the hell, go for it. And get some counseling as well please!

And what behavior are you modeling for your daughter?

If you can't manage to do it for yourself, do it for her for Pete's sake...

What worked for me was taking myself completely out of situations where the wrongs foods were available. I wouldn't even go to fast food places - even for the kids. You don't need it and neither do they. I haven't had fast food for a year except for (funny as it sounds) Chick Filet. I got an order of the grilled chicken nuggets. Not too bad, but the sodium was through the roof.

Just don't even go there. Keep junk food out of the house. You don't need it and neither do the kids. If they have to indulge, let them do it out of the house and away from you. It's not depriving them. it might save them misery down the line. Besides, you are the adult.

There are ways. When I was allowed to eat solid food I would eat the cheese and topping off one slice of pizza and take a nibble or two of the crust.

When we went out to eat, I would eat Protein until full and maybe have a bite of baked potato. Early on, get the Soup and sip the broth.

I cheated a bit while on Clear Liquids. I mushed up some fish in some mashed and gravy. I could only eat two bites. I went straight back to my Isopure.

Just remember to stick to things that are good for you. Staying on the restricted clear and full liquids will help you heal and the weight will fall off. Just make sure to get your Protein and fluids.

I do have to say that popcorn was a bad move. Many aren't even allowed popcoirn for several months post surgery. It's hard to digest and the kernels can get trapped in the suture line I've heard.

Don't go to the movies until you can bring in your own healthy Snacks and be able to walk by the refreshment counter without a twitch.

I whole heartedly agree with iggychic. Why the #$%^* did you get the surgery? I absolutely do not understand how you can do this. Stay away from the movies, social events, food triggers UNTIL you have a good handle on it! You could be killing yourself. Did your surgeon not provide you with some sort of pre-surgery councelling, did you pass it? I wish you the best, but get a grip on this.

Funny how the OP has nothing to say..................maybe we have scared her off.

These threads are a real trip because I cannot believe how judgmental people are. This is a support network and I am new here but probably will get on another site because honestly it's one thing to be up front with someone but to just downright come down on them is uncalled for. She indicated she is really emotional and we all have had this surgery because we have food issues so this slip up while frightening is I'm sure, not unheard of. If you have this thing licked, then constructively help the rest of us that don't.

Funny how the OP has nothing to say..................maybe we have scared her off.

Wow really? Hope not because I am here to support her!

These threads are a real trip because I cannot believe how judgmental people are. This is a support network and I am new here but probably will get on another site because honestly it's one thing to be up front with someone but to just downright come down on them is uncalled for. She indicated she is really emotional and we all have had this surgery because we have food issues so this slip up while frightening is I'm sure, not unheard of. If you have this thing licked, then constructively help the rest of us that don't.

I'm a little tired of the "Stop judging me" line. Supportive means setting someone straight when they've messed up. The OP must not know the dangers. She knows that her choices were unhealthy, but it seems like she didn't know that they are potentially dangerous.

If the poster is like me, she needs to practice abstinence. I could not do the everything in moderation bit. It's dangerous and gets out of hand. This may be her last chance to get healthy and I'm willing to risk scaring her.

We are not saying she is a bad person. We are saying she did a bonehead thing. Nothing wrong with that.

I really agree. I am a little scared now- I just joined about two weeks ago. I had no idea people would react this way to someone asking for help. I suppose those are the people who have never made a mistake in their lives. Lucky them.

Nobody has "this thing licked" or we wouldn't need surgery. Some posts may sounds judgemental but I sure as hell would hope that someone would give me a dose of tough love if I was making decisions that were life threatening or would completely sabatoge myself. If cheerleading (weight watchers) and kindness (nice little nutritionist telling us we should eat more veggies) approaches actually worked, then we wouldn't need surgery. It's the last resort and dammit, we need to support each other but sometimes that means being real about this and confronting someone when it's necessary. I agree there is a way to do it that is loving and heartfelt and not everyone has that special touch but at the end of the day, what posts are you going to ponder when you think about picking up that chocolate chip cookie? It isn't the sweet woman who said everything will be alright and not to worry about it. We all need to worry about it and accept personal responsibility for our actions - each and every one of us. I hope you stay in this forum because there are a lot of really good posts and responses here. You may not always agree with them but it's up to you to take what you want from them.

Its Unfortunate you have to feel the wrath and regret of those who have experienced problems. My sister is Kapoorvilla and quite frankly she almost died through her surgery complications which were no fault of her own but yet she gave helpful, thoughtful kind advice. Its no more your fault than it is theirs. First of all it seems to be pretty normal not to feel when you are full on liquids because they move through so quickly. as you advance to pureed it will become more evident. popcorn seems to be the worse thing you did thats scary to me, but hope fully it wont bother you. You should try to get back on track and follow your surgeons orders, If you're still worried call your nut or Doc and get professional opinions before you get too upset. I will be praying omes easier for you to stick to the program

I'm a little tired of the "Stop judging me" line. Supportive means setting someone straight when they've messed up. The OP must not know the dangers. She knows that her choices were unhealthy, but it seems like she didn't know that they are potentially dangerous.

If the poster is like me, she needs to practice abstinence. I could not do the everything in moderation bit. It's dangerous and gets out of hand. This may be her last chance to get healthy and I'm willing to risk scaring her.

We are not saying she is a bad person. We are saying she did a bonehead thing. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you that she may need a wake up call but there is a way to do it and a level of respect that doesn't seem to be shown. A lot of the things being said would not be said face to face even to people's friends let alone in one of the physical support groups. Advice can and should be given especially since she is asking for it but to make comments about why did she have the surgery, etc like it's such a surprise that we don't always stick to the plan is ridiculous. That's what I'm referring to.

I really agree. I am a little scared now- I just joined about two weeks ago. I had no idea people would react this way to someone asking for help. I suppose those are the people who have never made a mistake in their lives. Lucky them.

Do you have any idea what they have to do to save you from a leak? I had knitting sized needles stuck down my back into my lungs, with only topical anestesia where they cut in. A garden hose with a suction machine attached to it rammed into my lungs, and kept their for a week..intense pain, again while awake. I nearly died from my lungs constantly being crushed by Fluid from the leak in my body. It was horrible...worst experience I've ever been through not to mention the most costly. A mistake is you ate a cookie when you were allowed Cookies but found a nut in it, which you aren't allowed. That's a mistake. Putting popcorn into a newly sleeved stomach...that's not a mistake, it's someone who should not have had this surgery until they were ready to commit to healing safely and changing their ways.

It's a complete disregard for their health and their families well being. It deserves a hard response. No pats on the back work for this kind of illness.

Iggy what you went through was horrid beyond what our minds can grasp! You are now bravely trying to stand in the way and wave the caution flag for others to avoid the same route. I applaud you for caring enough about others to do that.

To all: There will always be those who have missed the warnings and report their mistakes. Once those people call for help I think it is fair that they hear the horror of what could happen. I also feel it is fair that someone is there to say now get back on the track and come this way it is better. I am quite disturbbed if on our support form there is any gloating about telling someone off or scaring them away. What exactly would we accomplish if all we did was scare people away?

Susan's work is certainly not done!