Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Chrissie,

I have never heard of Dr. Fisher, does he strictly do lap-band? I was looking for a doctor that specialized in Lap-Band. I finally ended up going to Doc. Gorospe, who mainly does RNY Bypass, but the past year, his Lap-

Band business has trippled. He is doing about 80% Bypass & 20% Lap-band.

I was just curious about Dr. Fisher.

I researched Dr. Gorospe before I decided to go with Dr. Fisher. In fact, I had originally chose Dr. Katsis, which is Dr. Fisher's associate in the office, but met Dr. Fisher at the information meeting and was so impressed by his honesty, openness and personality that I knew he was the one for my surgery. I also like Dr. Fisher's nurse, Anita, alot. Dr. Fisher and Katsis are members of surgical associates of Tulsa, and do other types of surgery also. They do RNY as well, but it seems like are doing more and more lap-bands. They have one of the best mortality rates anywhere, which impressed me (and is why I chose them over Gorospe). Dr. Fisher has always been very caring and his bedside manner is excellent. I would recommend him to anyone. They have an informational meeting once a month (the first Monday I think) and a support group meeting (the second Tuesday) that are open to anyone. You can call the office and ask for the info line for the bariatric surgery and they will connect you with a recording that tells you when the info meeting is. Hope that helps.

I am in Tulsa and I will have surgery on January 18...Dr. Gorospe.

WOW - I am too! I have my surgery 1/18 with Dr. Gorospe too. Do you know what time yet? They told me they would call me on the 12th to let me know the time I need to be there. How exciting!

I had originally chose Dr. Katsis, which is Dr. Fisher's associate in the office, but met Dr. Fisher at the information meeting and was so impressed by his honesty, openness and personality that I knew he was the one for my surgery. I also like Dr. Fisher's nurse, Anita, alot. Dr. Fisher and Katsis are members of surgical associates of Tulsa

I am very familiar with Surgical Associates, they took my gall bladder out, and did my husbands appendix surgery. Very fine reputation. I wish I had done more research on docs, but I couldn't find any other docs but Dr. G that did Lap-band. Now that I have paid my deposit (non refundable) with Dr. G's office, I am hearing a lot of good things about Dr. Fisher, and I wished I would have known about him BEFORE I chose Dr. G. I think dr. G will be fine, but, I think dr. Fisher's bedside manner is so much better.

Sunshine,

I have heard lots of good about Dr. Gorospe too and have a family member that he did her RNY so I am sure he will do just fine. I LOVE Dr. Fisher and am soooooo happy I chose him. But there are plenty of fine surgeons that do lap-band. I am very excited for both you and oklabubba and your upcoming dates. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go.

Chrissie, how long were you in the hospital after surgery? Dr. G is saying that if we go in in the AM that we should be out by the afternoon, after lunch or somewhere around there. Just curious how your hospital stay went at Southcrest? That is where I will be having mine too.

Today marks my countdown - 30 days until banding date! I can't wait.

I"m in Coweta okla. and I am considering banding I see alotta good results on here.Sunshine2 from tulsa that is the doc. I was looking into. I have just started looking into this. What is a good insurance in Tulsa area that covers it?

Lajuanna,

I don't know about any other ins. cos, but I THINK if you are on the community care PPO plan, they cover bariatric surgery. I am changing to the PPO, now have HMO, and I know the PPO will cover any existing conditions, so if I erode or something they will cover to have it taken care of. I have heard that they will pay for the surgery if you fit the qualifications ie you are at least 100 lbs overweight, have 2 or more comorbidities, or a BMI of 40 and 1 comorbidity. I used Dr. Benavides in Dallas, I was not overweight enough for the Tulsa docs to do. And I don't have HBP, or diabetes, or whatever else they consider a comorbidity.

I had a BMI of 37.5. Isn't that fat enough? Geesh. Anyway, my surgeon only requires you to be 60 lbs overweight for the lapband. He says if he did the bypass, he would require the 100 lb, or 40 BMI standards.

Hope this helps a little. I have heard that Blue Cross Blue Shield pays for the band and bypass, but not sure.

Kristi

I"m in Coweta okla. and I am considering banding I see alotta good results on here.Sunshine2 from tulsa that is the doc. I was looking into. I have just started looking into this. What is a good insurance in Tulsa area that covers it?

I have United Health Care insurance, Choice Plus, and I was approved within 2 1/2 weeks. I called them and asked if they covered CPT code 43770, they said I must have a BMI of 40 or above, I did. So they covered me. However, if your employer has a written exclusion for WLS, then they will not, so always make sure you ask if there is an exclusion.

So far I have been happy with Dr. Gorospe, I think he is knowledgable, and knows his business, I am not that impressed with his bedside manner, but I think he is a good doctor and that is all he does is bariactri surgery, so he does about 5 or 6 a day he told me.

HI all, IM just getting started in my search, Ive got to go to siminar with Gorospe, I dont know how much he charges for the Lapband, Im just getting insurance, my husband dont know why, but I do,lol anyway I was just wondering cause I will have to pay 20% I think. and 500.00 deductiable. If it don't workout with him Im gonna check out Dr. fisher. Do they run about the same in price?

I was banded on 12/13/06 by dr. keith. So far I have been very pleased with everthing. I was self pay.

Kristin

I have been reading all the messages from you okies. I will be banded 12/12/06 DR, Lana Nelson in Norman OK is my Dr. she is in with Dr Keith at the Oklahoma Weight Loss Center. They and the Norman hospital have the only Medicare certified center for excellence in Oklahoma. That is why I picked them I know what strict regulation they have meet to receive the certification. I also heard good thing about OWLC through freinds. Everything I read seems to say the same thing, that eating slowly and chewing is the trick to keep from throwing up. I am concerned about throwing up and the band slipping. My doctor is only about 45 minutes away I live in Marlow Ok. Anyone have any comments about the band surgery any help be appreciated.

Alma2bfree:clap2:

Hi all,

I was banded Aug 10 in OKC by Dr. Holsaeter (I've been a lurker for a while.) In fact, my sister and several co-workers have also been banded by him. I have nothing but good things to say - a couple of them are at or near goal and over 2 yrs out. His office is by St Anthony's but also has a surgical center near NW Exprswy & Portland. He does the fills himself in his office.

i go and get my xray in the morning...i have my surgery on jan 18!

I have mine on the 4th.......and we have the same surgery date! And the same doctor. Have they told you what time your surgery will be yet?