Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hello, I'm here in Tulsa Oklahoma and wondering anyone out there that had the surgery in Tulsa? I'm using a Luis Gorospe, wondering if anyone out there has used him? I don't have a surgery date yet, just the lap band seminar date.

Hello. I am from BA. I didn't use a Tulsa Doc, but went to RichardsonTX. I just had my surgery on Nov. 1. You know that doc. that advertises is the Tulsa World for the free seminar at the Renaissance hotel. I used him. I hear Gorospe is good though. Keep in touch so we can compare.

Kristi

Thanks Kristi. Yes, I think I am going to use Dr. Gorospe just because it will be more convenient for fills. I know Gorospe is primarily a gastric Bypass doc, he only does Bariatric surgery now, he pushes the GB surgery, but told me i was a perfect candidate for lap-band.

I'm from Tulsa and had my lap band done in Dallas. The surgery was June 22, 2006. I have lost 92 lbs. I couldn't be happier with my weight loss, but I throw up very often. I have trouble getting anyone from my doctor's office to return my calls. My primary care physician has kept close tabs on my blood work. Everything is OK and I feel great, except that I throw up very often. I talked to my doctor's office about 8 weeks ago and we decided that it is probably the way I eat because one day I lose it and the next day it is OK. But, I have been throwing up since September. Could it just be the fat me and my bad habits?

MOST LIKLEY YOU ARE EATING TO MUCH,TO FAST, YOU NEED TO SLOW WAY DOWN. WITH BITES ONLY AS BIG AS YOUR THUMB NAIL. cHEW REALLY WELL AND TAKE YOUR TIME. iT SHOULD TAKE YOU 30 MINUTES TO EAT YOUR CUP OF food. iF i GO ANY FASTER i ALWAYS THROW UP.AS TIME GOES ON,IT WILL GET EASIER. YOU WANT TO DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO STOP SO YOU DONT RISK A SLIP OF YOUR BAND. BY THE WAY CONGRATS!!!!! ON YOUR AWSOME WEIGHT LOSS.

Hey another Okie here. I am in Muskogee and my surgeon is Dr. Kevin Fisher at Surgical Associates of Tulsa. Like Sunshine, I chose a local doctor for the convenience. My surgery date is Nov 29th, I'm getting really excited. Appreciate any advice the post-ops can give me.

Hi Oakie!! Shirley here,

I'll touch on some things. First of all I had my Date with a Band on 10/31/06. You got it Halloween. So I am 21 days post op.

So,, since it's all new to me to, I can share what I no....

Get a good protien Drink. I go on ebay and buy the Muscle Milk Light.

I no it looks expensive,,, but, if you compare it to the health stores!!

Your gonna get a buy. 25g of protien vs. 195 in calories is great, and

it's delicious. I use that and C.I.B. but by the time you get done fooling

around , addind calories to the C.I.B.,, well you could be looking at about the same in calories,, but 10-12 in protien. You really need the protien for healing to. I am suppose to take in 80g of protien a day, and try to stay

between 700-900 calories a day. That's easy with the M.M.L., that's why I mention it. Stock up on sugar free puddings. They come in handy only 60 or 70 calories. They are great if you have to crunch meds. Mix them on top only, eat the pills "yuk!" then you can treat yourself to the remainder of the pudding. Get some cream of Soups so you don't get to hungry, last

take it slow. It took a while to get this way, It's gonna take a while for it to change. Get back if you want.. "I have been born again, and this time, I will be a whole lot thinner!" Shirley. sstasevich@woww

Keepa.....I have lost about the same as you (took me a few weeks longer, tho)....anyhow I felt great until about month 4-6 then I started having a lot of PB's and sliming (throw ups). It then began to feel more like really bad acid reflux (think I had irritated my esophagus) so my PCP put me on Protonix tabs....I take one each evening before meals. It's been about 10 days and I've had only one minor PB since then, so I think I'm healing and doing much better.

I am ONE POUND away from a hundred and I'm determined that Thanksgiving is not gonna keep me from reaching that this week!! This is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me (well, in a long time anyhow!). I'm having a Garlic chicken Lean Cuisine dinner for my big day Thursday!!

Keep up the good work!!

Hey another Okie here. I am in Muskogee and my surgeon is Dr. Kevin Fisher at Surgical Associates of Tulsa. Like Sunshine, I chose a local doctor for the convenience. My surgery date is Nov 29th, I'm getting really excited. Appreciate any advice the post-ops can give me.

hey i'm from okay. I haven't had any surgery yet, but just wanted to say congrats and good luck.Sure would like to know how everything goes for you. I also want to find a local DR to do my surgery.I have to pay out of pocket cause my insurance won't pay for it. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!!

I grew up in Broken Arrow, but live in Dallas now. My parents and brother still live in the Tulsa area so I get back pretty often. My dad was looking into getting banded in Tulsa, but after talking to me and reading up on it, he realized he wasn't ready to make the sacrifice. He is still looking for the "magic" potion to take off the weight and not have to work at it. I told him he would have to work the band and it was just a tool. He gave up on it, but is so proud and supportive of me. Good luck on your journey. Its well worth the trip.

I have been reading all the messages from you okies. I will be banded 12/12/06 DR, Lana Nelson in Norman OK is my Dr. she is in with Dr Keith at the Oklahoma Weight Loss Center. They and the Norman hospital have the only Medicare certified center for excellence in Oklahoma. That is why I picked them I know what strict regulation they have meet to receive the certification. I also heard good thing about OWLC through freinds. Everything I read seems to say the same thing, that eating slowly and chewing is the trick to keep from throwing up. I am concerned about throwing up and the band slipping. My doctor is only about 45 minutes away I live in Marlow Ok. Anyone have any comments about the band surgery any help be appreciated.

Alma2bfree:clap2:

I made it through Thanksgiving, didn't gain any weight! Didn't lose much either, but starting on the mushies, and probably overdid it! It was so nice to get something in my stomach besides liquid.

I am not losing weight as fast as I had hoped. I know it's not like the bypass, we are supposed to catch up with them after a few years, and I only really needed to lose about 80 lbs, but geesh.

Dr. Benavides has trained one doc here in Tulsa to do the fills for him, for the patients who live in this area. (tulsa), instead of having to drive all the way back to Dallas for fills. I haven't had a fill yet, so I am nervous.

I feel like I need a fill. I can eat a lot of mushies, and I can drink one of those Atkins Protein drinks all 11 oz. pretty fast. I haven't been on a lot of solids yet, so I am not sure how I will do. I officially start solids this coming Wednesday, so I have officially been cheating. I don't PB, unless I HAVE had too much. I find I will be one of those who has a problem with breads, so far. Haven't tried much else. I did go to a Mexican restaurant today, had too many chips and salsa, so couldn't have the chimi, so maybe I don't need a fill? Who knows..I just don't want to have so much of a restriction that I feel I can't eat at all.......anyone know what I mean?

Okay, enough about me. How is everyone else doing?

Kristi

banded Nov. 1, 2006

no fills yet

hey i'm from okay. I haven't had any surgery yet, but just wanted to say congrats and good luck.Sure would like to know how everything goes for you. I also want to find a local DR to do my surgery.I have to pay out of pocket cause my insurance won't pay for it. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Hey Kimberly,

I too was/am self pay. Dr. Fisher and Southcrest both give a discount to self-pays. Yes, its still pretty expensive (@ $20,000 total) but I feel like its the best investment I have ever made. I would be glad to share any info with you, or anyone, about Dr. Fisher and Southcrest. I received and continue to receive EXCELLENT care from both. Good luck on your journey. Please feel free to email or IM me, maybe we can meet sometime.

Chrissie,

I have never heard of Dr. Fisher, does he strictly do lap-band? I was looking for a doctor that specialized in Lap-Band. I finally ended up going to Doc. Gorospe, who mainly does RNY Bypass, but the past year, his Lap-

Band business has trippled. He is doing about 80% Bypass & 20% Lap-band.

I was just curious about Dr. Fisher.

I'm from Okla. living in KC presently. Banded 9/13/06 in KC. Doing well. Love my band. Hope to be moving back to OK soon. Close on a house in Ochelata 12/21. Work up here tho. Katt