Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Feel As Though I Am Going To Fail At This Like All The Other Times... Any Encouraging Words?!?

Hi Everyone:

I am due to have my surgery on October 9th. I have been preparing for this day since May and now I am second guessing myself. I feel as though I am going to fail just as I did many times before. I am stressed about gaining weight back even before I have lost it. I want to my Nutritionist visit yesterday and she told me that if half her patients were as dedicated as me, they would all be successful. I don't see myself as a success. I need to change my mindset but don't know how. I know I have done everything that was asked of me and then some but I am feeling down in the dumps. What is wrong with me? Did anyone go through this? Talk to me VST family!!! God bless and take care...

Just got my date yesterday so I can only imagine how you must feel being so close to surgery. Remember all the posts you have read that said "Wish I had done this sooner". You will be saying this in a couple of months. You will not fail. You will follow what your doctor says. Best of luck to you and keep up posted.

I can totally relate to what your fears are. Everything else has failed, why would this be different. I agree with Mokee, look at all the success stories. I think you need to give yourself some credit. This is not a cure all, its a tool. You have been committed since May, there is no reason to think that will change. I think the biggest mindset change has already been made, You decided to move forward with surgery. All the prep work, all the hoops and here you are two weeks away. Overwhelming.. yes. But keep telling yourself you will do it. You have benefit of being in touch with hundreds of people who are going through the exact same thing you are, and thousands more that have made it to goal and then some. Draw strength and inspiration from that. Set mini goals for yourself and bask in those successes along the way.

Good Luck!!!

I think what you are feeling is normal. I got the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" and have found it extremely helpful and even motivating.

We've all been afraid we were going to be the 1 person that failed at this. We've tried so many times before that we have pretty much prepared ourselves for failure before we even start. Guess what look around, there are no failures around here. Yes, many of us have slow starts & get discouraged, some of us go off track and lose control for a while, but bottom line, once you have the tool in your box, and you've acquired the knowledge of how to use it properly, slipping doesn't become a catastrophic event, it's more like a skinned knee. You just gotta remember to get back up and keep going.

Here's a link to my first post here. I was afraid I was going to fail too.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/40235-is-this-too-easy/

I also have to add since looking back at my original post, I don't advocate that you cheat like I did. I was anxious to get back to work quickly, so I progressed through my diet much quicker than I should have. But once again, I didn't do it right in the beginning, but that also didn't cause me to fail either.

totally normal to have those fears. You just really have to focus on changing the way you think. If you don't take this step, wouldn't that be a failure based on all that you have already put towards it? I know all the psychobabble and it is hard to hear it but it is just a choice you have to make for you. Decide that you deserve to be successful at this and nobody can stop you but you.

I am so there with you. My surgery is this wednesday coming and all I can think about is failing. Not being able to contain my old habits. Preop has been a good thing for me, i have given up my diet pepsi, my m and m binges, i started working out (finding time is brutal) I see myself getting and svelt and fly and being pain free and no bp pills, the. I think of all the last times I did it and failed. I almost want to cry thinking of it. But I am hoping above all hopes and praying to my creator that I can do this. For me, for my family, and for the people I care about.

I certainly feel the same way as you do. I should get my surgery date when I return from my little tour of Italy. This trip has certainly made it loud and clear that the sleeve is the right thing for me. My feet are like little fat sausages from walking all day and my knees are starting to hurt. The tour guide keeps asking me if I am ok. She makes me feel handicapped. Oh, but I guess I am. I don't want to be and neither do you. Don 't let fear stop you. You will do so well. If your Nut. thinks your head is on straight, then it must be. Believe her! Ciao

THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN GUARANTEE IS THAT U WONT FAIL!!!! FOLLOW THE STEPS, STAY COMMITED TO YOUR PLAN AND YOU WILL SUCCEED!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

You won't fail. The sleeve works almost like magic for the first few months. By then, you'll be so motivated that you'll do what's necessary to get you there. I usually write LONG posts, but instead I'm going to attach two pictures to give you and idea of what's possible... and so you know that you will not fail. If I can do this, anyone can!!

post-12374-13813660244328_thumb.jpg

post-12374-13813660244562_thumb.jpg

This is totally normal! I had such worries about this pre-op. What if I am having this major surgery and I lose hardly anything? And then again at my longest stall I worried "Is this all I'm going to lose and eventually I'm gonna gain right back?" But I was wrong both times. This is really a lifestyle change and you are going to do wonderful. It's so incredibly worth it. You are not gonna be some odd exception to the rule, you are gonna do awesome. Hang in there! Your surgery is just around the corner!

Hi Everyone:

I am due to have my surgery on October 9th. I have been preparing for this day since May and now I am second guessing myself. I feel as though I am going to fail just as I did many times before. I am stressed about gaining weight back even before I have lost it. I want to my Nutritionist visit yesterday and she told me that if half her patients were as dedicated as me' date=' they would all be successful. I don't see myself as a success. I need to change my mindset but don't know how. I know I have done everything that was asked of me and then some but I am feeling down in the dumps. What is wrong with me? Did anyone go through this? Talk to me VST family!!! God bless and take care...[/quote']

Okay okay. Lift your head up

Now because youu will be successful in your personal journey. It's not easy and we all have doubts and feats nit that's alright. That's normal. But don't let anything get you down because you will are results and other people will see it before you. Be strong.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and wisdom. I am so happy you all responded to my worries. God bless you all. I am slowly changing my worries into excitement. Went to the Cardiologist and he requested a stress test. Going tomorrow, sneakers on, get on that treadmill and knock it out like a champ! I hope my surgery is not delayed because of this, they seemed too laid back about everything... Crazy! I will keep you posted. Thanks again VST family!!!

I explain my theory on why people fail and how it can be easy in this post http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/54141-my-suggestion-stop-the-obsessing-rules-are-meant-to-be-broken/

Malisima69, I know what you are feeling as I felt the same, as many above have mentioned. But, if you are dedicated and you are diciplined as it sounds you are prepared to be, you will not fail the surgery. I, just like you had a few months to prepare and I took every word the doctor and nutritionist said to heart and listened to them! And, I am getting the results to prove it with 95 lbs lost and I am 2 months into my surgery. I lost 50 from March to July and then 45 since the end of July when I had surgery. I am 40 lbs from goal and feel great.

Now, there were times I felt like I was failing because, as I have always done, I weigh myself daily, usually 2x a day (morning and night). I will go a week at a time with no weight loss and then 5 lbs drops off over 2 days. This is how I have been the entire time. Initially, I lost 10 lbs in the first week after surgery then went 2 weeks w/o losing a pount. I felt like I was going to be the failure you fear, but that broke and I started losing again. I lost 20 in the first month, and then 20 in the second month, and now another 5 in the past week. Like I said, nothing for about 4-5 days, then 5 lbs drops over 2 days. Then another stall for 4-5 days and then another 5 lbs off. It goes in spurts for me and can be a little frustrating at times. But, I am measuring it based on how my clothing is fitting me, how I look in the mirror, and how I feel. Even when the lbs are not coming off, my clothes continue to fit looser and looser so I know I am losing inches. It is a mystery to me as to where it is going if I am not losing weight other than to attribute it to muscle gain through extra physical activity (walking and biking)....but I dont care as long as I look and feel better. If I stay at 220 lbs and my waist gets smaller and my legs get smaller and I look and feel better, so be it!

Trust that it will work and do your part to help it work and you will have great success with it. You can't fail if you do your part to make it work for you. I can attest to this as I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and knew for sure I would gain a little back as I was not careful as to what I ate or how often I ate. I did find that I just couldnt eat to excess and came home from the beach with a 2 lbs weight loss. AMAZING difference from past experiences with vacation.

TRUST IT! TRUST IT! TRUST IT!!!!! DO YOUR PART AND IT WILL WORK!