Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disgusted By Others Eating

Reading the post again and thoroughly,,,,I believe the majority of those that are responding in what you would view a "negative" way, is not understanding this simple fact...

1. Why are you watching anyone eat...that takes time to watch someone take more than one bite of food....time is precious and allowing the brain to assess someone else's plate of food and the time it takes for them enjoy their meal is such a waste..If it is a brief glance that's okay but if you are at the point if intently watching some one eat their mail....well that's just rude....

2. Or, we are wondering if this nausea you feel is so intense, why place yourself in the vicinity of others while they are eating....this is just curiousity to me ....its like hating the site of blood but going to a blood bank for the fun of it...

We all understand the topsy turvy of this hellacious rollercoaster ride we are all on....and it is indeed a ride...

Reading the post again and thoroughly' date=',,,I believe the majority of those that are responding in what you would view a "negative" way, is not understanding this simple fact...

1. Why are you watching anyone eat...that takes time to watch someone take more than one bite of food....time is precious and allowing the brain to assess someone else's plate of food and the time it takes for them enjoy their meal is such a waste..If it is a brief glance that's okay but if you are at the point if intently watching some one eat their mail....well that's just rude....

2. Or, we are wondering if this nausea you feel is so intense, why place yourself in the vicinity of others while they are eating....this is just curiousity to me ....its like hating the site of blood but going to a blood bank for the fun of it...

We all understand the topsy turvy of this hellacious rollercoaster ride we are all on....and it is indeed a ride...[/quote']

You are a judgmental, passive aggressive little dart thrower. Everyone of your posts start out with some message of how we are all in this together, and then you proceed to tear down those whose opinions you dont agree with. You say you want to leave it alone, but then you won't. You keep throwing gas on the fire, passing judgement on all those who post here but at the same time condemning them for passing judgement. Why are you so bothered about what bothers other people? You are no better than anyone here, except at being hypocritical. At that you are a gold medal winner.

I find this to be the most mean spirited topic I've seen here. I'm not in a position to judge anyone on ANYTHING, and certainly not on their eating habits!

Is it possible (especially at only 6 1/2 weeks out!!) to forget that you are/were morbidly obese? That we needed drastic medical intervention to keep us from eating ourselves to death? Really?

How can you NOT see yourself in that person?! Not everyone has the finanacial means or the support for this surgery. Did you NOT overeat? Did you NOT make bad choices?

The hypocrisy is staggering.

Everyone, please remember the rules you agreed to when joining the forums, no personal attacks on one another. I would like to refer you to this recent topic:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/52406-vst-rules-keeping-the-forums-a-safe-place-for-everyone/#entry489950

Thank you for cooperating, we truly do appreciate each and every one of you!

You are a judgmental' date=' passive aggressive little dart thrower. Everyone of your posts start out with some message of how we are all in this together, and then you proceed to tear down those whose opinions you dont agree with. You say you want to leave it alone, but then you won't. You keep throwing gas on the fire, passing judgement on all those who post here but at the same time condemning them for passing judgement. Why are you so bothered about what bothers other people? You are no better than anyone here, except at being hypocritical. At that you are a gold medal winner.[/quote']

I love people who tell it as it is

I wish we could channel this energy into something positive. Like we could focus more on the good, and hopefully, give someone a well needed pat on the back or praise. Id love to see everyone be so passionate when someone posts a new picture or an NSV and have them receive 6 pages or 80 comments. Let's breathe out the poision of negativity. Peace and love <3

If you really think about...now that we have the sleeve once we get to a stable weight, we are in fact eating a normal amount otherwise we would continue to lose. I eat way more 15 months out...I feel like I eat normal and what I should have been eating all along. Portion sizes, the amount I'd sugar in our food...it is all just disgusting. I spun out of control and knew that surgery was the only way to control my inability to control myself. I feel bad for the people still on the dark side. It is a horrible place to be.

A few weeks ago, I was getting report on my patients for the night from a skinny young kid. He referred to one of the patients as "Jabba the Hut". Turned out, the patient was undergoing workups in preparation for WLS.

You never know where people are on their journey. If someone had watched me during one of my frequent food funerals I know they would have been disgusted, I was (just a little :-)) too. But I needed that in my process.

I think it is like the pregnancy thing - we are paying so much more attention to food now than probably any other time in our life so that we are hypersensitive to food & eating around us. All of us on the WLS path are SO very fortunate that we have choices. I know that not everyone has these choices available to them. There but for the grace of God...

You are a judgmental' date=' passive aggressive little dart thrower. Everyone of your posts start out with some message of how we are all in this together, and then you proceed to tear down those whose opinions you dont agree with. You say you want to leave it alone, but then you won't. You keep throwing gas on the fire, passing judgement on all those who post here but at the same time condemning them for passing judgement. Why are you so bothered about what bothers other people? You are no better than anyone here, except at being hypocritical. At that you are a gold medal winner.[/quote']

I so agree. Knock it off already.

Well, one observation I will make is that my views about things change over time.

When I was 6-8 weeks out I was still in the shock and awe phase - food didn't taste good, I hardly ate anything at all and getting enough Protein in was a daily challenge. How much I ate, or didn't eat, was a central focus of my life. I didn't really eat at restaurants at that time so I can't really reflect on how I felt about people eating. I of course did see hubby eat and the contrast between what we consumed was shocking. I didn't have feelings of disgust, but perhaps a sense of disbelief that he ate so much and that i was staying alive on so little - living off my fat stores!

I did at times find some foods and smells could make me feel icky.

I am now 9 months out, i do eat at restaurants at times. I really pay no attention to how much others consume. My current thing is to con my hubby and son into ordering something that they don't mind parting with about 10%. If I can get 10% of two meals, I have MORE then enough...lol. Isn't it great to be a cheap date?

I guess my point is that the emotional experience and reaction to food, eating and related topics is much more intense during those first months. I think after awhile you get busy enjoying your new thinner self and who the heck cares what other people are eating or thinking about what I am eating!??!!!

Here's the way I see it - feelings are feelings. Feelings aren't right. Feelings aren't wrong. Feelings just ARE. We can't control how we feel. We CAN control how we choose to act.

If people feel sick watching others eat huge amounts, so be it. If they don't run over to the over-eater and whip their plate away, or death stare them into oblivion, or projectile vomit in disgust - then what does it matter?

I am choosing to listen. Accept. And move on.

The reason I feel disgusted over this is because people don't get help for what is such an obvious problem for some. If you're unhappy' date=' and most fat people are, take steps to change it! Whether it's a diet change, or WLS, you have to do SOMETHING to make changes for the better. I have little sympathy for those who won't take steps to help themselves. Life is too short.[/quote']

Some don't have the knowledge of knowing how to get help I see so many ppl on her to opt to keep there surgery a secret .. Ppl or too embarrass to speak about Wls that's why it takes ppl like u who are already sleeve to say look here's this great tool I'm a witness to that .. It's help out there .. I told myself when I get sleeve imma tell the world in hopes of helping someone ..

I'm over this topic but it keeps popping up on my notifications. As a pre-sleever with eating disorders up the who-ha I'm don't like being reminded that others are grossed out by what I'm doing...

And those of you passionately defending "the cause" your just keeping the topic going.

Please Let it be archived. Everything's been said already.

I'm reading while still on the first page, so forgive me if someone else has said this. I had this same thought process when I was newly sleeved. My 6'3, 21 year old son would eat with me and he would vacuum the food from his plate, at least that's how I saw it. He's by no means overweight, but the rate and amount of his food consumption floored me early post-op.

I think it's a stage WE go through, to be shocked at others' eating habits. As I've gotten further post-op, I don't notice what/how fast others eat as much. Maybe it's part of OUR readjustment process post-WLS. The trick is to refrain from commenting until we get to a better place mentally, IMO.