Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Would You Respond?

So I posted on FB today that i'm down 50lbs and have gotten a lot of congrats and such. But then I got this text from my cousin.

"hey i'm trying to clear up a rumor ur dad started.. and i dont believe it... did u have surgery to loose the weight?"

How would you respond. I didn't tell very many people, at all. (Mostly just my immediate family). I don't want to take away from all the hard work I put in by people thinking I took "the easy way out". Help.

I always like to answer those questions with a question or some vague 'answer'. ;)

"What a weird question."

"What difference does that make?"

"Our family is nuttier than a fruitcake!"

"It's hard work losing 50lbs!"

"What do you think of the pics I posted?"

"I must look GOOD if I'm the subject of gossip. Whoo hoo!"

At the end of the day, it none of anyone's business and you don't have to tell ANYONE. :)

If you don't want others knowing beside immediate family tell your cousin "Nope I did it all myself" Then tell your dad in a polite way to keep his big trap quiet because you don't want others knowing your bidnez! ;)

But you know how family is, the damage is probably already done and by this time tomorrow after your cousin tells 3 other cousins, and they tell 9 other people, and those people tell even more people the rumor will be that you've had your head removed and put on a skinnier body. And everyone will resent you for not doing it the right way blah blah blah...

I agree with the responses GeauxForIt posted. It really is no one's business what you did and don't feel as if you're obligated to tell them.

I would say, "I lost weight by eating less and exercising." This is the truth. I wouldn't elaborate further. Don't lie but don't be direct. Then, I would have a talk with your dad.

I do the same as SunnyCox stated. I tell people I eat less and exercise more, which is not a lie.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Posting the information about your weight on Facebook is asking for inquiries. It doesn't go along with your desire to have only a select few know about the surgery.

Your father is definitely wrong, but there is nothing to be done about it now.

I would say' date=' "I lost weight by eating less and exercising." This is the truth. I wouldn't elaborate further. Don't lie but don't be direct. Then, I would have a talk with your dad.[/quote']

Good idea. It's the truth, and that's all she needs to know. I know your dad was probably bragging, and couldn't help himself, and it probably didn't come out as if he were gossiping.

I would say, "I lost weight by eating less and exercising."

Perfect response!

My question is: if you don't want questions about how you lost weight, why are you posting about losing weight on Facebook?

It is your choice on how to respond, but at that point you basically just invited everyone and anyone to not only congratulate, but also to ask how.

My question is: if you don't want questions about how you lost weight, why are you posting about losing weight on Facebook?

It is your choice on how to respond, but at that point you basically just invited everyone and anyone to not only congratulate, but also to ask how.

Whoop there it is!

My question is: if you don't want questions about how you lost weight' date=' why are you posting about losing weight on Facebook?

It is your choice on how to respond, but at that point you basically just invited everyone and anyone to not only congratulate, but also to ask how.[/quote']

My answer to you is: I was happy and excited about my accomplishment and wanted to share that. I've been happily telling people that i'm eating right and exercising, that wasn't my problem; my problem was my Dad telling my cousin and not knowing how to respond to her.

Thanks everyone else for your great responses. They were very helpful.

The reason I didn't even tell my parents- people can't keep their big pie holes shut!!!

<3

Congrats on your 50lbs!!!!

My answer to you is: I was happy and excited about my accomplishment and wanted to share that. I've been happily telling people that i'm eating right and exercising, that wasn't my problem; my problem was my Dad telling my cousin and not knowing how to respond to her.

Thanks everyone else for your great responses. They were very helpful.

People are going to find out eventually, whether it's now or later. I don't dispute your right to tell people whatever you like.

However, if you brag about it on the internets and THEN lie about the reason for your weight loss, you get what you ask for.

Honestly I would say its not a rumour it's the truth and I feel great, thanks for asking. You can't spread false hope like "oh I lost 50# with diet and exercise" it just makes the rest of us feel like sh*t coz we can't do that! There's either something wrong with wls or there isn't. And you have to rock the pride, not falsify it!