Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

Latests updated Roll-Call (from Page 1 of our thread). There was a bit to catch up on since I was out of action for the last few days. Please PM me if I have any mistakes or left anyone out of list, and I'll fix it up straight away.

G'day to our newest members, and good luck for surgery tomorrow to roxy123 and fellow Aussie gal Kellieatkins30. Hope all goes well for you.

The rest of this week is a busy one for bandbabies - good luck to all of you as you start your countdown!

Here's our list so far of who is being banded when.

I'll update it as we go. I hope I've got it right, if not, just let me know any changes or additions.

Good luck to all.

OCTOBER

1. .
  2. Shellybeans, chrispygal
  3. Pistol and her FIL, Slocumna, GEORGINAVINCENT, KarenS, Lin
  4. bigmons23, kayleesmom
  5. Goannabanda, Bandacat, Slim190
  6. JWH, lainer, Becka, houstongirl1
  7. .
  8. .
  9. Kilcollins, Ladyred, MarySue33
  10. Kellieatkins30, roxy123
  11. Cowgirl74, bandedmommy, mykidsrock
  12. Jodi-T and her DH (James), nicknac33, LA chula27, Irish Dancers, Big girl banded
  13. KStar, PugMaster
  14. .
  15. .
  16. LIHIVE, tiredepot, MsKhris
  17. purtynailz, s1m1, justpaul1966
  18. mzsmartypantz, traceylb36, JulieSlu, oldspark, TXSunflower
  19. macdeb59, moon goddess, three beauties, Denise2
  20. mdk63, Ward1990
  21. .
  22. .
  23. Dani-X, Laurenm13, Auntie Aud, Sharlee
  24. NINNYED
  25. Joy Joy
  26. soniacan, raynie, JDru, juliestwu
  27. renata
  28. .
  29. .
  30. fullon1au
  31. .

NOVEMBER

1. AZA

NO DATE YET:

pumpkin5

JILLMC

pumpkin5

Lots2Luv

helensmith

libertysuzanne

Today is Lots2Luv's Big Day...

Congrats to u gurl! Wishing the BEST

Talk to u in BandLand Soon!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Happy Band Day to Kilcollins, Ladyred, MarySue33! We will all be praying that you have a great banding. Keep us posted as you can with how your recovery is going!

To all of us that are still on pre-op diets... hang in there!

HI Gang!

Well, my surgery went smoothly, my recovery very rocky. I was nauseous. I am still nauseous. I had violent upchuck episodes with nothing in my tummy. Fortunately the band did not slip. That TV thing is a trip. But it was reassuring to see the band in place and watch it work. It gave me a greater understanding of how it works and how to use it as a tool to lose weight. However, may I recommend, if you can avoid it, not throwing up immediately after abdominal surgery.

I was very jealous of other people in the same clinic, banded on the same day, popping up out of bed, walking around, taking showers, going on sightseeing tours. I can tell you my reaction was the only minority. The doctors think it may be because they gave me too much medication. Or I am prone to sea-sickness (I am) and they moved my stomach which brought it on, or a reaction to anesthesia, or they just don't know. I am not on any pain medication at all since the day after surgery. Also, not recommended.

Little by little I feel less nauseous, I feel stronger, I am able to walk more. The gas pain is horrible. It feels like I broke an upper rib. The breathing inspire trainer helps A LOT with the gas. USE IT! The deeper I breathe, the better I feel.

I know by next week I will feel much better.

It is the third day after surgery and I am sooo hungry. broth is not doing it for me. I hate popsicles. I am not a big juice fan either. But I have lost 4 pounds from starving. Who knew it was so easy to lose weight! ;>

Congrats to new banders!

Jess

Banded Oct. 6th

Dr. Ortiz

250/235 at surgery

weight.png

Hey everyone, I am joining here :girl_hug: I FINALLY have a date. October 16th at noon. Went today to do labs, EKG, and pre-register. All I have to do now is show up. Oh, and I have lost 12 lbs since I had my 1st appt. a month ago.

Oooh Jess I am so sorry to hear things have been so rough for you! I get naseous from anestesia (I knew this from a prior surgery) so they gave me a prescription for an anti-naseau patch to put behind my ear before surgery and it worked great. They also said there is some correlation between getting motion sickness and getting sick from anestesia. I couldn't imagine not having pain medicine the first few days out, so I can imagine you are not comfortable. Hang in there. The gas is bad, and the surgery was not an easy one to recouperate from. I am a week out today and today is the first day I feel 100% so you will get there. Just do the best you can! Congratulations on your band, and welcome to bandland!

Oh Jess....I, too am so sorry to hear you got sick!!! I can't imagine having to throw up right after surgery. Bless your heart.:girl_hug: I hope you feel MUCH better very soon.

I have a question October gang of mine (or anyone else that wants to chime in), I found out in recovery that I had a hiatal hernia that was repaired during my band procedure. The doc didn't mention it to my family and I finally called the office a couple of days later and they still didn't sound like it was a big deal. Does anyone know if I need to be doing anything differently due to the hernia? I am still pretty sore and am wondering if it is because of the extra work that went on. Thanks band buddies...

Banded 04 Oct -- Back to work today (9th) Also down 10 lbs since 03 Oct

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

My doctor explained that a hiatal hernia is where the stomach slips up toward the esphogas. My doctor said if he encounters them, he simply repairs them. He said the repair is not major.

I feel as if a truck hit me and I am sore. It may be from the hernia repair or simply from the surgery itself. Hang in there!

Jess

Hey fello bandsters!!!

Okay, I'm 3 days out of surgery, had it done 10/6.... still a little sore, but I can honestly say the worst part is this gas!!!... I wish it would go away already :cry .... I've been on the Clear Liquids since thursday 10/5... it's starting to take it's toll on me... I'm sick of the chicken or beef broth.... I think I'm going to pick up some egg drop Soup on my way home from work and strain it at home.... I have too many days left of this clear diet thing to be giving up on it already!!!!

I got to take the gauze off yesterday :clap2: ... ready to let the steri-strips fall off when ready...

How long is it going to take this gas to get the h@#! out of me????? :faint:

Thanks for any input

Joanne (Katy, TX)

Hey Everyone what is everyone's clear liquid besides chicken and beef broth? What is everyones little secrets??? With the liquid?

Good Luck to all who have been banded and who are going to this week. I love each and everyones posts. I really live for them. I bet I am on this 4-5 times a day. But I sure am ready and you guys are my support too. I have learned so much from you guys. I wish someone was close to me, (Grand Rapids, MI)

Houstongirl 1 have you used the gas-X someone else suggested it for after the surgery. So I bought some. Maybe it will help. I eat my liquid powder Soup on here, takes my mind off of it, and love reading everything. Good luck everyone this week. Mine next Tuesday!!!!!!!!!! Mary

Joanne I am a week out today and still have the gas, although the pains have not been that bad for the past couple of days. I agree that was, by far, the worst pain I had in recovering.

I was on full liquids by the time I left the hospital, so I have been able to have pudding, yogurt, and any Soup without chunks. I pureed some soup tonight, but it had a few chunks that I ate and I am feeling soooooo guilty!! Today was the first day I had a real appetite come back, so I have been fighting the real hunger and the head hunger, trying to figure out which is which.

I took a second week off from work, but definitely think that I would have been able to go back to work today or tomorrow if I needed to. I'm glad I took the extra time off though, in case people are debating how much time to take off.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies... sometimes it's just good to know others are going through the same.

Mary: yes, I have the Gas-X extra strenght thin strips.... the first day you wouldn't believe how many I took, honestly I don't even remember.... I'm hoping it goes away pretty soon, because as I stated earlier... this is definately the worst.

Chrispy: they told me I need to be on only clear liquids... nothing with substance :cry , although I did blend a little milk with half a banana last night, and feel fine... I think they are just telling me this so I don't take in soo many calaries....(crossing fingers, trying to stick to it)... I keep telling myself... It's only a week, it's only a week :hungry:

As far as work... I'm already back to work... I have a desk job, no heavy lifting what so ever.... and if I need to walk around I can.

Thanks again

Joanne

Hi everyone,

Theres lots of us here for Oct, Im getting banded on the 19th and am starting my pre op diet on Thurday. My surgery is in Toronto Canada and im soooo excited, its nice to see all the support here.

Hey Everyone what is everyone's clear liquid besides chicken and beef broth?

Hey Purty,

My doc said I'm allowed to have the following during my 2 weeks of clear liquids: gatorade, diet or regular iced eas, crystal lite, broth, skim milk, diluted juice, SF hot chocolate, vegetable juice, Tomato Soup, Water, V8 Spalsh, coffee, tea, ices. (no straws, no carbonation) Switch to all SF after 2 weeks.

Also, I need to have 2 Protein Shakes a day (must dilute) and was told to drink from a sippie cup to help get the baby sips.

I hope this helps!!

Kaylees Mom, My husband is having a hernia repaired at the same time as his banding. The doctor said it is fairly common. He said he usually fixes them as he encounters them.

Feel better!!!

Just three more days to go.