Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Mine was ultimately getting divorced. I realized that I had let myself eat too much and I wasn't the most healthy. So I decided to look at alternatives because I've tried every diet out there.

My last straw has been feeling as though my body is deteriorating at 27. I feel old and tired all the time, like a 70 year old with bad knees and a bad back. I don't want to feel like this at 27! I actually had no idea that I would be eligible for WLS at 170kg (375lbs) because I'd only seen extremely big people on My 600lb Life get surgery. It was only when the dietician recommended me seeing a surgeon that I starting thinking about WLS.

I have many but what really opened my eyes was when I went on vacation to Puerto Rico. I had to call the kayak place, the horseback riding, the zip line place, all the excursions basically to ask what was the weight limit!

It made me so sad. I thought to myself I am not fully living life, I have a life of limits and restriction. I do not want to live like this. I want to experience life. So I am now waiting on the schedule department to call me back tomorrow and set me up for pre op testing and surgery date 😌😁. I am ready for a new life.

On 3/15/2017 at 4:20 PM, KylieB said:

My last straw has been feeling as though my body is deteriorating at 27. I feel old and tired all the time, like a 70 year old with bad knees and a bad back. I don't want to feel like this at 27! I actually had no idea that I would be eligible for WLS at 170kg (375lbs) because I'd only seen extremely big people on My 600lb Life get surgery. It was only when the dietician recommended me seeing a surgeon that I starting thinking about WLS.

Omg yes! I can relate lol. I am 27 as well and I wake up everyday with back and hip pain that sometimes extends to my legs. I feel like my body is deteriorating as well. I wish you luck on your journey! We got this 👍😀

MY final straw was seeeing a picture of myself and I was so disgusted at how big I was! My daughter who is only 5 always asked "mommy can you be like adens mom, she's healthy and runs".

1. I can't run more than a few steps.

1. I am out of breath walking the very short distance from the parking lot to my office.

1. I find it harder and harder to find clothes- I learned how to sew to be able to get around that.

1. I don't like the way I look.

1. My co-morbidities seem to be multiplying every year.

1. I can't reach my toes.

Pain.

Pain was my straw. I could deal with the fat, with the poor body image, with the constant obsession with food, with the all consuming diet, binge, diet, binge cycle. But when I turned 36, it was like my body had enough. Now:

• My ankles hurt
  • My hips hurt
  • My feet are in extreme pain
  • My legs cramp if I walk too fast
  • I can't sleep without hurting
  • I hurt when I sit too long
  • I can't stand being in pain all the time.

I look forward to waking up in the morning, standing up out of bed and not wincing from the weight of my own body.

My nephew was born in 2013. At the time, it didn't occur to me but I'd like to live to see him grow up, especially since I'm on the fence about having kids of my own.

My estranged father died of a heart attack in April 2014. He was in his mid-50s. On the way back from his funeral, I received a call stating a close friend had also died. He was in his mid-40s.

I'll be 36 in a few months but in the past couple of years, I've started to feel older than my age. My joints ache in ways that I know they shouldn't in my 30s.

I've never been on a plane. Mostly (80%) due to fear of flying. The other 20% is fear of being charged for two seats or having to use a seat belt extender. I would feel horrible spilling over into someone else's seat space. I would love to travel and be able to do all of the things I'd like to do without being out of breath and out of shape.

I haven't ridden amusement park rides since high school. Minor motivation, but motivation all the same.

I'm tired of paying more for larger sizes that aren't nearly as cute nor flattering as smaller clothes. For some reason, the fashion industry thinks obese people look great in hideous prints. And while plus-sized fashion is starting to come around, it would be nice to wear cute clothes and get rid of my wardrobe of blacks, grays, and blues.

Finally, I want to prevent (or at the very least delay) diabetes. It runs on both sides of my family. My mother has it as does her mother. I fear spending the rest of my life on medication for something that is mostly preventable.

Edited by nocturnalgemi

HA. A chair. I didn't break the chair or anything but that chair broke me. Last semester I was going to taking a sociology class. Some of our classrooms are on the older side and in this building, some of the rooms had like original furiture. They had the desks attached to the chairs but not the nice ones I remember from my high school years (15 years ago, man I'm old), these were like from the 70s. Looking at this small pathetic little desk I wasn't even sure I would fit! I did fit, but I was very uncomfortable. Looking around, most students had no issue, they had plenty of space at their seat. There was a few people that looked uncomfortable, but I really feel I was suffering the most lol. I don't know how I survived those 2 hours in that room. I ended up withdrawing from the class..... because I didn't fit in the chair. Now before I pick a class I physically check the class room to see what kind of seating arrangement there is. That was really my last straw. I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Especially as a nursing student heading into clinicals in the fall, I need to make this change now.

HA. A chair. I didn't break the chair or anything but that chair broke me. Last semester I was going to taking a sociology class. Some of our classrooms are on the older side and in this building, some of the rooms had like original furiture. They had the desks attached to the chairs but not the nice ones I remember from my high school years (15 years ago, man I'm old), these were like from the 70s. Looking at this small pathetic little desk I wasn't even sure I would fit! I did fit, but I was very uncomfortable. Looking around, most students had no issue, they had plenty of space at their seat. There was a few people that looked uncomfortable, but I really feel I was suffering the most lol. I don't know how I survived those 2 hours in that room. I ended up withdrawing from the class..... because I didn't fit in the chair. Now before I pick a class I physically check the class room to see what kind of seating arrangement there is. That was really my last straw. I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Especially as a nursing student heading into clinicals in the fall, I need to make this change now.

I've had a similar experience on an airplane. The flight attendant couldn't see my seat belt was buckled, so I had to lift up my gut to show it was. Humiliating.

Having to get off a rollercoaster in front of a ride full of people because the staff couldn't get the restraints down all the way was pretty humiliating.

My knees. Arthritis runs in my family but my knees gave out a few months back. Last summer I walked all over Costa Rica. By Christmas I was in agony and in January I was told I qualified for a knee replacement. It hurts to take my nephew to the park, to walk up the stairs to my office, to even walk for exercise. I'm only 45. I'm not ready to give up yet! I'm praying Monday's surgery takes weight off my joints and buys me some time.

The straw that broke the camels back for me, was sitting on the floor skyping with my daughter and trying to get off the floor. I felt like those stupid commercials, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" It was humiliating trying to get myself up. I couldn't even handle my own weight. My knees felt like they were going to dislocate, I got very shaky, and could barely lift up myself using a chair that was near me.
I realized that I'm miserable and need to change.
I want to go out and not feel like everyone is watching me and silently judging me. I need to change the voices in my head and make them like me.
So, I'm on pins and needles waiting for insurance approval, so I can move on and up in my life!
I want to go on a cruise with my daughter and enjoy myself for once! We decided that I will do this for me and her! I want to see her finish college and become the veterinarian she wants to be! I want to see her get married and I want to be an awesome grandma some day!
So, here I go!