Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Visiting my brother and his family 5 years ago, one of my nephews was eager to show me something in his room. I went to sit on the side of the bed, and as I did, it crashed to the floor. I'll never forget that moment, I began apologizing. My nephew was at a loss for words, never laughed. He was quite young, maybe 5. I kept saying how sorry I was, and inside I knew I was apologizing for being fat, not his poor bed. Turns out his bed sat on those adjustable slats, and sliding off can sometimes happen. No matter, I'll never forget. So here I am, and surgery is one week away!

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Wanting to be healthy for my future children...
The straw was when my Dr actually referred me, I've been thinking about it in the past year. On and off not really looking into it. Then when he mentioned i said ok. He's seen my weight inching up since 2014. I was already overweight then but in 3 years inching up more and more. IM so ready for this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Waking up and going to bed with pain everyday in unable to sleep at night

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Waking up and going to bed with pain everyday and unable to sleep at night

I had been trying for nearly my who life to get the weight off. I had taken so many different medications, trainers, gym visits, shakes, and Protein and on and on. As a healthcare worker, I knew that if I didn't get the weight off soon I would end up with much more serious issues. In addition, I wanted to be able to do things that I hadn't been able to do because of my weight - travel, zip line, horseback riding, fly in a plane and fasten the seat belt comfortably and many other things. I also starting feeling that perhaps my weight was limiting me from potential job promotions and even dating. I finally spoke with my doctor and she agreed it was time to do something more aggressive. During my 6 month surgery preparation I developed high blood pressure and was placed on blood pressure medication. It was finally catching up to me - I knew that I had made the right decision to move forward with the surgery and that once I could get the weight off, my blood pressure would get better.

Not being able to run and play with my 3 year old son for more than 5 minutes without being completely out of breath and tired.

Not being able to play outside with my girls without getting tired, my body hurting at the end of a work shift, I am pretty sure my weight is a big reason for my hiatal hernia which is causing my horrible reflux which makes it difficult to live without Omeprazole every day (40mg 2 times a day), being too heavy to ride my bike with my girls-we took the bikes with us camping and the tires couldn't hold me, they kept going flat; camping in our pop-up and the combined weight of my husband and myself (about 500 lbs) on one end causes the frame to bow just enough that the door doesn't close correctly. I could probably go on but I won't, you all get the picture.

I've read through every single post on all 147 pages: it's been inspiring and heartbreaking. Thank you, everyone.

I realize that I'm unusual in many ways. I haven't been bothered by shame and embarrassment--I just figure this is the way I am, take it or leave it. Yes, there are good reasons why I should be smaller, but I haven't stressed out about it.

Here's a list of the things that HAVE NOT made me make this decision:

--High blood pressure; I've been on medication for probably 20 years;

--High cholesterol; on meds for maybe 10 years;

--GERD and Barrett's (acid-reflux issues); on meds for that;

---Diabetes; on lots of insulin and two other drugs for that;

--Airplane seats; I ask for the seat-belt extension and put it on, and the last time I flew, I *just* booked (and paid for) two seats in an attempt to be comfortable;

--Amusement parks, even though I realized there was no point in my going to the Harry Potter World when it opened, not at my weight;

--Not being comfortable in various theater and movie seats;

--Always asking for a table, not a booth;

--Not buying clothes other than online or through a catalog for the past couple of decades.

Y'all get the idea--I've just adjusted to the issues associated with my weight. Until now . . . because the one thing that is just not acceptable is KNEE PAIN.

For the past six months or so, I've been in agony nearly every time I stand up or walk at all. The meds for this don't remove the pain; they sometimes make it bearable, but they also make me sleepy. Shots don't last at all and certainly won't fix the problem. Nearly constant application of ice helps. I'm at the point where I either figure out a way to help in a major way (weight loss) or I'm headed for a wheelchair. And as a single person, I'm definitely not willing to give up my independence to that extent.

The ortho doctor referred me to the bariatric surgeon. I've done a ton of reading on this site and the most common thing nearly everyone says is this: "It's the best decision I ever made, and I wish I'd done it sooner." I want to be able to say that, too.

Being able to possibly get rid of diabetes and some or all of the other ailments/meds, being able to fly comfortably, and being able to buy regular-sized clothes are all benefits I'm excited about--but the knee pain is still the major motivator!

It's really very simple. When it was just looks, being fat, it was my problem. And I was supposed to diet and exercise it off. It was never going to happen because I've never found anyone online with a prolactinoma, in my case a larger one, a macro tumor in my pituitary that secretes the hormone prolactin which MAKES you fat (always hungry, changes your metabolism to try and make fat out of everything you eat, for the 20 newborns your body thinks you are mursing with that much prolactin in your system) who had success losing weight. Ever.

But when I got very high blood pressure, and edema on one side, that was IT. I have little kids who need me. I want at least 10 years of normal weight. Even if the prolactinoma eventually wins again, if I have ten years of normal weight I should live longer and healthier than if the next 10 years I stay obese. And maybe it will work and keep excess weight off me.

im more important to my kids than I am to myself, so even though I had fears, I made myself find a doctor and get started.

Edited by GotProlactinoma
Too many parentheses

54 minutes ago, GotProlactinoma said:

It's really very simple. When it was just looks, being fat, it was my problem. And I was supposed to diet and exercise it off. It was never going to happen because I've never found anyone online with a prolactinoma, in my case a larger one, a macro tumor in my pituitary that secretes the hormone prolactin which MAKES you fat (always hungry, changes your metabolism to try and make fat out of everything you eat, for the 20 newborns your body thinks you are mursing with that much prolactin in your system) who had success losing weight. Ever.

But when I got very high blood pressure, and edema on one side, that was IT. I have little kids who need me. I want at least 10 years of normal weight. Even if the prolactinoma eventually wins again, if I have ten years of normal weight I should live longer and healthier than if the next 10 years I stay obese. And maybe it will work and keep excess weight off me.

im more important to my kids than I am to myself, so even though I had fears, I made myself find a doctor and get started.

I can totally relate!!! I have the tumor also. I gained a considerable amount of weight in a short time (before being diagnosed with it.) My friends who I told, never really reacted. Maybe because they don't know all about it? I'm getting my lapband out this week, then, in 3 months getting the gastric sleeve. I'm ready as ever. I wish you much success!!

A few reasons I decided going forward with the surgery:

1. My nephew asking me why my tummy was so big

2. Being on multiple asthma medications to help me breath better

3. Started to feeling embarrassed to go out and socialize with people

4. Joint pain in knees, hips and back

1.hard to walk around everywhere
2. Finding clothing that actually looked good
3 worrying all the time about how much weight I was gaining
4.social anxiety
5. Working was hard as I'm a beauty therapist in a day spa sore back feet and there wasn't much space in the rooms so I was embarrassed
I'm sure there's more stuff

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

A few things did it for me. My doctor suggested the surgery last year but I bypassed it because I wasn't done trying on my own yet. However a few months ago things started to get real hard. My fibromyalgia is getting worse in my legs where there are times when I'm laying down the leg I'm resting on is in pain. My back started to hurt more, and my scrubs for work were getting too snug. I felt/feel defeated, I've tried so many things.. was put on Wellbutrin which worked but the side effects were horrible. Then I spent money to go to a pill mill/weight loss clinic and was put on Phentermine. It worked also, but left me with Migraines and I just couldn't keep up with the pill popping and the paying to pop them. As soon as I got close to 240 (a weight I said I would never go back to) I threw my hands up.. It just felt like in order for me to lose weight I would have had to starve myself, and that wasn't going to go down.

Oh yeah, I also have high cholesterol which I inherited (didn't know that was a thing). I've had it for the longest, even my 12 year old suffer from it and she's a thin kid, along with my sister. My dad died in his 50's from atherosclerosis, and I'm so afraid that being at this weight with the high cholesterol and all this tummy fat I'll be next and I'm only 34. My mother already has kidney disease, diabetes, and congestive heart failure. She had to stop working due to having to be in dialysis. I can't let this road be the one I merge onto. I told my doctor about my fears and instantly he drew up the referral. As soon as my appointment was over with him I got a call to start my process..

Edited by unicornucopia

My final straw was turning to A diabetic. I work in a hospital and I see what that dreadful disease does to people. I want to live life and my weight is on my mind every day. My 6 year old asked why my stomach was so big and was a baby in there. That was also a last straw.

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app