Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

2 minutes ago, ColleenErin1974 said:

The straw that broke the camels back for me, was sitting on the floor skyping with my daughter and trying to get off the floor. I felt like those stupid commercials, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" It was humiliating trying to get myself up. I couldn't even handle my own weight. My knees felt like they were going to dislocate, I got very shaky, and could barely lift up myself using a chair that was near me.
I realized that I'm miserable and need to change.
I want to go out and not feel like everyone is watching me and silently judging me. I need to change the voices in my head and make them like me.
So, I'm on pins and needles waiting for insurance approval, so I can move on and up in my life!
I want to go on a cruise with my daughter and enjoy myself for once! We decided that I will do this for me and her! I want to see her finish college and become the veterinarian she wants to be! I want to see her get married and I want to be an awesome grandma some day!
So, here I go!

I feel your pain! I went on a crusie in December and was totally uncomfortable due to my weight. And right under 5ft it was just to much to carry 235 pd around. Good luck to you.

I've had a similar experience on an airplane. The flight attendant couldn't see my seat belt was buckled, so I had to lift up my gut to show it was. Humiliating.

Oh gosh I can't imagine. The next flight I go on will be post-op. I wasn't as heavy the last time I flew, but I could tell it was getting bad when I was pretty much maxed out on the seat belt :( I would not be so excited to get on a plane today.

Having to get off a rollercoaster in front of a ride full of people because the staff couldn't get the restraints down all the way was pretty humiliating.

This is my biggest fear. I have always been real top heavy (even before the weight) and dreaded this would happen to me. I stopped going to amusement parks just because of this.

1. Break up with boyfriend of 6 months. I was tired of making excuses for myself always blaming my weight for my interpersonal issues. This was the last straw

2. Doing menial tasks like walking up and down the stairs or going on a simple hike was really difficult for me

3. As I've come into my 30s becoming worried about my health. I may only have 30 years or less to live! Why not make it healthy

4. My father was just diagnosed with diabetes.

I knew bariatric surgery was inevitable because of my deteriorating knees and spine, as well as the difficulty I was having making progress with fibromyalgia and depression because I couldn't exercise without damaging my spine and knees further, but what motivated me to really go for it was:

1) wanting to be there for my (younger) wife until we're good and elderly together

2) I knew the time was NOW when I looked in the mirror and no longer recognized myself. That's a life long nightmare, losing my identity.

My straw that broke the camel back was watching Dr. Nowzardin and people on the show that were obese. I heard their pleas and saw myself as these people saw themselves. I thought about how I felt going up stair and barely being able to breathe. I saw myself for the first time in a mirror..........I mean really saw myself and I remember crying out that I was tired of being fat and out of shape. Then I saw an advertisement on a commercial with Alexian Brothers about Weight Loss Surgery and that was the beginning of a new day for me. It was the best decision I could have made because it allowed me to take back my life!

IMG_1930.JPG

The pain! I have always embraced my curve's, but when my curve's started to get wider and knees started to make noise's I knew that it was time to do something diffent. I made a dr. Appt but didn't see my primary. It was actually the float Dr. that complained to about my back pain. My primary was totally against surgery. So I thought I would ask for diet pills. Unfortunately I am allergic to caffeine so he suggested that I enroll in the bariatric weight loss program and find out why to improve my eating and maybe get surgery. The best advice that I got from that Dr.

I can relate to you regarding your pain. I use to hate to get up in the morning because as soon as my feet would hit the floor, I was feeling the weight on my feet, and legs. I was so miserable and unhappy. WLS was the best thing I cold have every done.

The last straw- i was done. I'm 18 years old 5'2 hw-292 sw-285 cw- 268 post op 2 weeks. What made me think about it was my orthopedic tell me I'm gonna need knee surgery in the next 5 years and then said i should talk to my doctor about wls. Having a very athletic and hot boyfriend that i still dont understand why he's with someone my size and how it must be embarrising cause it was to me i know what people think when we go somewhere together... im always asked if im his mom or they ask me our relation to each other. I hate not being to play basketball with him or go on runs with or simply enjoy a day out in the city because i get tired my knees start hurting and i was done. The last diet i did was the one i lost the most weight with and gained the most i had lost 30lbs in 3 months but gained 40lbs back within a month and hald. People think that since im so young that i have self esteem issues but its not. I'm already having health problems due to this weight i didnt want to wait and see how much worse my health was going to get. One thing is I don't know why people wait. Dont get comfortable with all this **** you're carrying around. Do something about it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

-I broke an exam table in my doctors office. The tech was so embarrassed for me that she made an excuse for me that it was just a drawer and not the table half collapsing. She didn't look me in the eye after that.

-I recently had to fly a small airline (30 seat plane) and was reseated for "weight distribution" so the plane wouldn't be off balance.

Oh Annie, I'm so sorry that happened to you :O( I feel your pain in that I was once denied a bone density test because their MRI machine (or whatever it was...) only would take up to 300 lbs -- I had to weigh in and was way more than that, so the tech pulled me aside and very nicely told me... I was so humiliated (some multi-hundred-thousand-dollar machine wouldn't "fit" me???) that it was years before I went back -- I'm two years out from bypass now and down 180 lbs, truly a life-changer - hang in there!

For me it was when I realized that the woman who gave birth to me had the same issues that I had before she dropped dead. I didn't want to end up dead at a relatively young age.

15 hours ago, jesseforg123 said:

The last straw- i was done. I'm 18 years old 5'2 hw-292 sw-285 cw- 268 post op 2 weeks. What made me think about it was my orthopedic tell me I'm gonna need knee surgery in the next 5 years and then said i should talk to my doctor about wls. Having a very athletic and hot boyfriend that i still dont understand why he's with someone my size and how it must be embarrising cause it was to me i know what people think when we go somewhere together... im always asked if im his mom or they ask me our relation to each other. I hate not being to play basketball with him or go on runs with or simply enjoy a day out in the city because i get tired my knees start hurting and i was done. The last diet i did was the one i lost the most weight with and gained the most i had lost 30lbs in 3 months but gained 40lbs back within a month and hald. People think that since im so young that i have self esteem issues but its not. I'm already having health problems due to this weight i didnt want to wait and see how much worse my health was going to get. One thing is I don't know why people wait. Dont get comfortable with all this **** you're carrying around. Do something about it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations for not waiting around for it to get worse!

I can't speak for everyone honestly, but the reason I waited is because rny isn't right for me, but I didn't know about gastric sleeve until the last couple of years.

Finding time away from work to take the classes and go to the dr appts, AND do the surgery itself was very challenging. Covering the expenses of all the supplements, etc, has also been a barrier at times.

I feel incredibly fortunate I WAS able to do the surgery at last.

Congratulations for not waiting around for it to get worse!
I can't speak for everyone honestly, but the reason I waited is because rny isn't right for me, but I didn't know about gastric sleeve until the last couple of years.
Finding time away from work to take the classes and go to the dr appts, AND do the surgery itself was very challenging. Covering the expenses of all the supplements, etc, has also been a barrier at times.
I feel incredibly fortunate I WAS able to do the surgery at last.

It was hard. I'm a full time student and part time worker. Everyone thought i was insane for doing it during the school year. One of my professors told me to drop out. But I work for a doctor and he was very understanding. Gave me full days of to do all of my testing. And it looks like I'll be finishing the semester with a 3.0 so I'm happy.

This is really hard.

1. My grand-daughter told me I was fat...out of the mouth of babes.
  2. Went to my son's school concert and had to squeeze myself into the auditorium chairs.
  3. Finally made it to Islands of Adventure - Harry Potter's World and asked about the wait time on the ride and the worker told me I should try the seat to make sure "I'm comfortable" before waiting over an hour. I was horrified, walked away and cried in the bathroom so my kids would not see me.
  4. Every time I have to buy new clothing, I'm hysterical in the dressing room. I always have to pull myself together before exiting.
  5. Seeing myself in photos.
  6. Avoiding going places so I don't have to face people.
  7. Not traveling to see friends and family because I'm embarrassed for them to see how much weight I have gained.
  8. I'm tired of feeling like crap on a daily basis. Especially the back pain when standing for long.
  9. I want to hike the national parks out west with my boys without being winded.
  10. I want to be healthy and I want to live.