Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

49 minutes ago, FLBoyMom said:

This is really hard.

1. My grand-daughter told me I was fat...out of the mouth of babes.
  2. Went to my son's school concert and had to squeeze myself into the auditorium chairs.
  3. Finally made it to Islands of Adventure - Harry Potter's World and asked about the wait time on the ride and the worker told me I should try the seat to make sure "I'm comfortable" before waiting over an hour. I was horrified, walked away and cried in the bathroom so my kids would not see me.
  4. Every time I have to buy new clothing, I'm hysterical in the dressing room. I always have to pull myself together before exiting.
  5. Seeing myself in photos.
  6. Avoiding going places so I don't have to face people.
  7. Not traveling to see friends and family because I'm embarrassed for them to see how much weight I have gained.
  8. I'm tired of feeling like crap on a daily basis. Especially the back pain when standing for long.
  9. I want to hike the national parks out west with my boys without being winded.
  10. I want to be healthy and I want to live.

I needed a reminder as to why I made this decision!

On 5/1/2017 at 0:58 PM, FLBoyMom said:

Finally made it to Islands of Adventure - Harry Potter's World and asked about the wait time on the ride and the worker told me I should try the seat to make sure "I'm comfortable" before waiting over an hour. I was horrified, walked away and cried in the bathroom so my kids would not see me.

I had a really similar experience. When I went on the Harry Potter ride I was in one of the middle seats and the person working there frantically changed me with my thin friend so I was on the end. I assume she thought I was infringing on the stranger's space beside me even though I didn't notice. My friend was actually confused about the switch and when she asked I had to tell her that she was calling me fat. It was especially hard because I had lost a bit of weight at the time so I was feeling pretty good up until then. I had a good cry about it myself. You're not alone!

I'm really sorry that you had that experience.

Thanks for the kind words. I have my initial appointment with the doctor on Friday and am nervous and excited. Can't wait to get this process started and be on the way to losing weight, getting healthier, and feeling overall better.

5 hours ago, Molly23 said:

I had a really similar experience. When I went on the Harry Potter ride I was in one of the middle seats and the person working there frantically changed me with my thin friend so I was on the end. I assume she thought I was infringing on the stranger's space beside me even though I didn't notice. My friend was actually confused about the switch and when she asked I had to tell her that she was calling me fat. It was especially hard because I had lost a bit of weight at the time so I was feeling pretty good up until then. I had a good cry about it myself. You're not alone!

I'm really sorry that you had that experience.

I think this has happened to so many of us whether a plane or an amusement park (I stopped going to most when my breasts headed for a K-cup, and I don't mean coffee!). I haven't been back since my breast reduction for fear first of pain, then of not fitting into seats.

Except Disneyland. Bless them. The only rides I would struggle to get into are the whippy rollercoasters my back couldn't handle at the time.

I'm still working on my approval, but I had my moment awhile back when I realized I'm only 32. Lol, I know that sounds crazy but I've been living like I'm 82 last few years between my back and arthritis. I know I need to lose weight to help put off my next spinal fusion. And I know losing weight will help me be able to exercise more and strengthen my core. But, I finally realized there's got to be more than this couch. And that there's a tool (gastric sleeve) available that can help me get to where I want to be[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

WOW!!! My list is so long.
1. My 4 year old daughter asking me to race. In my mind I'm thinking I couldn't run if someone was chasing us.
2. The constant pain....knees, ankles, back
3. Taking 2 blood pressure meds
4. Taking to shots of Levemir and 2 different pills to control my diabetes.
5. Thinking of my mom in the hospital and it taking a team of people to move her.( She has lost about 150 pounds)
6. The thought of leaving my daughter without a mother.
7. Knowing if I didn't change I wouldn't see my daughter become an adult.
8. My husband
9. Not being able to visit my parents like I want due to the embarrassment of my weight.
10. Not socializing due to embarrassment.

I could go on and on but I will spare you guys

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

My husband is 7" taller than I am, came out of the bathroom looking dejected. I asked him what was wrong and he said he had just weighed himself. I asked him the number and he was too embarrassed to tell me. I told him not to feel bad, it's just a number. So, he told me his "embarrassing" #....it was 25 lbs less than mine! The sleep apnea, hypertension, pre-diabetes...I guess it isn't just a number after all.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using BariatricPal mobile app

My husband and I have been trying on and off for years to have a baby since being married for 11yrs. After many consultants telling me to lose weight in order for them to help me. I ignored them and then went on to see if we could adopt. After the adoption stage 1 where they said I needed to lose weight in order for them to refer me that was it. It's so funny bigger I didn't see what other people saw. I didn't think I was THAT big. Now 86lbs later I feel so much better and looking forward to IVF soon!!

I wasn't going to have the surgery because I was losing weight naturally since attending the Healthy Balance class Givin by Kaiser. But when I saw the Bariatric Dr ( NOT the surgeon) he explained to me how my diabetes can get worse the longer I have it an that having the surgery can cause my diabetes to go into remission. He used a very sensible illustration of termites being confined in 1 part of my house & how I may be okay with that and not being willing to pay the money to get rid of them. But what if of those termites started to move out from that spot? Now you will have to pay more money than you would have if you would've takin care of it when it was just a small area that was infected. He helped me to appreciate that I should focus more on the health benefits of the surgery than the weight loss part!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

My number 1 is I can't keep up with my kids

2. back and knee pain

3.cant wear cute clothes

4.i always wanted that little space on both sides,you know the space between butt and arm rest of airplane seat.

5.want my husband to

I had always been too afraid too have the surgery... afraid of the risks, afraid I wouldn't get approved, afraid that I would hate the way I looked more after I lost all that weight. My PCP put me on a strict diet to manage my T2 diabetes 2 years ago, and I have adhered to it and maintained a 5-6 A1C and lost about 40lbs. I thought that was great, but as time went on I wasn't losing anymore and she asked me if I would reconsider the surgery. I told her I would think about it. That weekend it was my hubby and I's 10 year anniversary so we were going to a concert in Baltimore to see my favorite band to Celebrate. It was a 15 minute walk from our hotel, then we stood in line for an hour and there were 3 opening bands before my favorite one played. The venue was standing room only, and I had taken breaks between sets to sit on the curb outside. The 4th song into seeing the ONE band I went there to see, I felt like I was going to pass out. My legs, my back, my feet all hurt so bad I turned to my hubby and said I can't do it and that we have to go.

I was soooooooo disappointed in myself. Although we had a good time, and he didn't make me feel one ounce of guilt I felt like we wasted our money, That my weight ruined a milestone in our lives. When we came home Sunday afternoon, I signed up for the WLS seminar at with our local bariatric program. I decided that I was done allowing my life to be controlled by my weight. So here I am. :)

I think I posted on this thread months back but it's worth a revisit.

So many reasons, but in a nutshell I was tired of hiding from life and not living. Living in shame and making excuses to not participate in life due to weight shame. Life is way too short and we only get one shot. I didn't want to waste this precious gift of life!!

My breaking point was a weeks vacation to Disneyworld with my 3 year old grandson. I was with my son and his wife and my grandsons other nana. It was a death march for me. I loved and hated every minute of the trip. I can't live like this anymore.

1.) I had a total colectomy when I was 15 years old. Has an ileostomy bag for a little over 5 years and then got it reversed.. so the more I eat, the more trips to the bathroom, and the more pain I have since food goes through me very quickly. Extreme pain from the acidity of my bowels, rawness and even bleeding.

2.) the heavier I am the more of a chance my Ulcerative Colitis can return.

3.) I'm tired of not being strong and fit.

4.) I'm tired of not liking my body.

5.) I'm tired of sweating during the summertime and never wanting to wear summer clothes that reveal my arms and legs.

6.) not being happy with all the fat on my body.

7.) My husband and I want to get pregnant eventually and we are aware that the heavier I am the harder it is to carry a baby in a healthy way.

8. I have a strong desire to do Cross Fit and just working out like a beast. I want to be physically strong and healthy.

9. I don't want to be self-conscious about how I look and how I feel.

10. I want to wear all the cute clothes in my closet that I have been collecting for years!

Deanna V.