Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

@@Butch Luce It is awesome you are making this choice for yourself and your family. I dearly loved my grandparents and the idea of more time with them is something I longed for. Your grandson will love the fit, active you.

Pain is running my life and I am hoping that I can get some control with weight loss.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My father had to have a 5 way bypass and he's not anywhere near as heavy as I am. Heart issues run in the family and a have taken many family members of mine. The path I was on was a short one. I want a long and happy life with my wife. Diet and exercise have failed me more times than I can count. Just needed one more tool on my belt for this battle and the surgery is it.

Achilles pain causing a penguin walk, pre diabetes diagnosis (mom was diagnosed at 40), and that twinkle of motivation being completely burned out by thoughts and memories of bouts of successful weight loss followed by regaining plus more. Oh and unauthorized Facebook picture tags lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

My daughter would be the first reason. I love her so much and want to do more things with her, I am very uncomfortable with myself and it effects the things we do. There's a lot of other reasons too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not being kicked of a ride at six flags becuz the seatbelt wouldn't fit, being in pain all the time, hearing my knees cracking and grinding when walking up stairs, not being able to play with my son and that is making him fat, not being able to have more kids, I just want to have my life back I feel like I am 70 years old and I'm only 25 and I feel like a failure as a mom becuz I can't run around and just never have the energy to go outside with my son, I want to live to seey son grow up and have children of his own and the way that I am now is not setting a good example for him I have two more test I have to do and then I can gety surgical date plz wish me luck

Learning the stats around how few keep weight off in the long term. Odds are higher with VSG.

I have 3 kids. My daughter will be 21 this month, then I have two boys. 17 and 15. My youngest has autism. And it finally hit me that he will live with me for the rest of my life. So I damn well better make sure I am around for as long as I can be. Then I have a 3 month old grandson. I want to be able to run around after him and play with him without getting tired or being able to bend over like I couldn't with my own children. I can't change the past. But be sure I want to change my future. I need to be healthy not just for them, but because I have never know what that means. I have always had medical issues and struggled with my weight. So yes I would like to try and find the Real me down in there some where.

Proud Nana of a very handsome grandbaby

All the years of bullying, torment and harassment throughout school and in adulthood

The doctor who told me...why don't you just starve yourself

The neurosurgeon who said I will need neck and spine surgery in the next few years and I'm just barely 39

My multiple health issues and chronic pain some weight related, others not

The bigger they are the harder they fall, right? Well at 60 I fell hard. Spent a week in an orthopedic trauma center having my humorous put back together with a plate and 13 screws. The scar is about 15 inches long and had close to 60 staples. Scared me out of my wits! I already had diabetes and other weight related issues and this made me feel so old and vulnerable. I want to live to be 100. I want to be a great grandma. My daughter has 6 year old twins so I have to pass 80 to get my wish. I'm going to lose 100 so I can kiss my great grand children at my centennial birthday bash!

CW 227 5'5" 61yrs

In 2010 my husband and I were getting ready to go on the first vacation we have had in 20 years. We were taking care of some last minute errands on a Saturday afternoon and were going to leave on Monday. An elderly man turn off a side road in front of us causing our car to spin and roll into a ditch. It took them about 30 minutes to extract me from the passenger seat and my husband from the drivers seat. It was difficult due to my weight at almost 300lbs. Then they put me in the ambulance and was going to put my husband in the same one but they couldn't fit him next to me because of my size. They decided to airlift me to a trauma hospital because I had a head injury and I barely fit in the patient "tube" . I was so humiliated and embarrassed. That was in June of 2010 and I had my surgery in March of 2011. I can tell you of many other issues like not making a flight connection because the connecting flight was on the other side of the airport and I couldn't get there in the 45 minute time, seat belts that wouldn't fit, knee pain, chairs that broke, being embarrassed about ordering food even though I was hungry, running into old boyfriends and trying to pretend I didn't recognize them, not wanting to undress in front of my husband, I could go on and on but we've all been there. Now even though I have gained a few pounds (20) and am working them off again I am still not "fat" and people tell me I don't need to worry... But once you have been large and lost it, you worry about it. The picture I have included are my husband and I 2 weeks before my surgery and 9 months later...

post-112588-0-75947500-1474495635_thumb.jpg

post-112588-0-47348800-1474495694_thumb.jpg

A couple of things were the straws that broke the back.

My brother had a heart attack at age 45. He too, was very obese. My mom cried to me after saying how scared she was about me as well.

My husband is an active person and I can't hike, run or enjoy life as he does, with him at this weight and shape.

Last, I realized that I immediately delete any picures anyone takes of me, becasue I can't stand how I look.

Mt surgery is Oct 3!

Mine was finally having my knees give out at 50 yrs. The vain part of me is fortunate in that I tend to look younger than my age. However, when people see me in motion (waddling in arthritic pain), I am certain they think I am well beyond my years and on my way to sign up for social security. For the first time in a long time, my career is in jeopardy because of my weight, as I need to be mobile at my job. After reviewing my x-rays, my orthopedic doctor told me that I am "bone on bone" in the inner parts of both knees and should have a partial knee replacement. However, he won't touch me w/out losing weight. He said if I lost significant weight, I might not even require surgery for many years to come. After years of trying to avoid bariatric surgery, I do not see there being much of a choice. I have lost and gained almost 100 lbs many times. I need something more permanent to help me on this journey. I am glad that I do not need to waste any more time waiting for my final straw.

Two years ago, I had two bulging discs that made my life miserable. Around the same time I developed a horribly painful skin condition. Both of these are exacerbated by my weight. While the discs have resolves (still left with lumbar stenosis though), the skin condition continues to worsen.

It's ruining my life.

WLS should relieve some of the pressure on that skin, allowing flares the room they need to heal. It will help the medicine I take for it be more effective. And fuck, I wanna go ride some rollercoasters and go to the ballet without having to wedge myself in there like a sardine. I always told myself as a fat teen, as a fat early 20s adult, even as a fat pre-adolescent that I would never let myself get up to 400lbs. And yet here I am, knocking on that door. I can't do it anymore. My weight and weight-exacerbated issues are ruling my life and nothing should rule my life except for me.