Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I forgot to mention I had GERD. So miserable, ugh. I was medicating with OTC prilosec every morning and it was starting to not work anymore.

Hi everyone 217.8 today! YAY

My straw was Employee Appreciation week at work. We bought donuts for everyone and I had been on a diet, well as usual I gave in and had a few donuts and afterwards was the usual disgusted self. Tired of dieting I said let me give this another try. Previously my husband had lap band and I did not qualify for anything but since I have gained 10 lbs so I thought maybe I will qualify this time. Started my research, went to first seminar. Just had my first drs appt last Friday 6-8-15. So I am at the beginning of my journey.

I haven't had surgery yet. I'm at the end of my 6 month of supervised dieting. I've lost 46 lbs preop so far. I am taking phentermine daily until surgery. I will have this surgery!

I'm sick of NOT wanting to be seen! I have had invitations to parties and would love to visit where I grew up but the thought of anybody seeing what I've grown into is mortifing! Trying on 10 different outfits and just feeling defeated and then want to stay home. Not because I don't want to go but I don't want to be seen!

Our breaktoom at work has chairs that sit right next to eachother. Filling out the seat completely and tucking arms in so you don't bump in to person next to you is a crappy way to spend your break! I eant so much better for myself! -for my children!-for my husband!!!

Having had my surgery (March 30) and living a healthier and happier life I can only say stay focused and continue with your journey and get the surgery. Each and every "straw" story written above resonated with me so strongly (except having a baby), I felt your pain, disappointments and hurt as I too had lived it. Blessing to us all.

Dear UsedtobeaSkater!

I haven't had my surgery yet - I meet with the surgeon on July9th! I am hoping to have it this summer, however! I am going through the Bariatric Center of Lowell General Hospital. Even as skinny as a rail, I would avoid the Yankee Cannonball! Go for the Boston Tea Party!!! It is much more fun! (and no bruising!)

Ride the Boston Tea Party ride late at night, you can get a few runs in that way. If there is nobody else on line, they will let you stay on, or just step out and get back on.

Granted it is a lot less refreshing to be splashed with cool Water at night.

I did an intensive 12 week exercise and diet class through my work run by PTs and exercise physiologists. I wound up in pain from flared up old injuries and I GAINED weight (not muscle because my body fat went UP .05%!!! ) Surgery is on Monday! I'm nervous but excited!!!

Incredibleshrinkingnurse: Congrats on surgery date!!!! Embrace it with joy and follow all instructions at hospital and post - you will do great.

My husband died at work of a heart attack, he was 100+ pounds overweight. It was devastating and I gain a bunch of weight in the two years following. Then my first grandchild was born a few months ago, I want to be here to see him graduate, get married and have my first great grandchild

The last straw for me was chronically high blood pressure. (220/117) I want to be here for my kids and to lead a fuller life.... Especially in summer. I'm sick of lying on my towel and never going in the Water as I'm too embarrassed about how I look in togs! Bobbi.

Hey new on forum

Welcome!

husband died of a heart attack, was 100+ pounds overweight.

@@nana@52

condolences on your loss :(

its sad that it took an event like your hubby's death to go forward with WLS :mellow:

you had "probably" thought of weight loss surgery before

better late than never ;)

you have many good motivators to go ahead with surgery :)

seeing your grand-child grown, marry, eventual great grand-children too :rolleyes:

(lets not jump the gun with that one :) )

from one grammy to another ;)

kathy

What was the final thing that you encountered that made you say this is enough? I have had numerous.

1. Leaving a wife and 2 sons, Husbandless and fatherless.

2. Not being able to get on amusement park rides with my sons.

3. Not being able to take my wife to a concert, because i could not fit in a seat.

4. Avoiding restuarant,movie theaters and sports complexes with tiny seats.

For me, walking through a a department store and some little child looking at me like im a alien had to be one the hardest things.

Respectfully,

Joe

In January my boyfriend died. He was the first man who had ever made me feel beautiful at my size. He saw my value even with the weight, and made me feel special and loved. He was so uplifting, and encouraging. I wanted to lose weight still for myself; but it was so wonderful to have someone who felt I was enough even if I didn't. He wanted me to be healthy, and happy with myself, but let me know daily I was already loved.

When he died suddenly, I was devastated. Already someone who suffered from depression, I turned to food even more. Fast food became my only (daily) source of comfort. I think sometimes I might have been subconsciously eating myself to death. I just didn't care anymore.

My sister had a friend going for surgery. She suggested it to me, and on a lark, I agreed. I had nothing to lose and figured it wouldn't work out anyway. I agreed mostly to pacify my family, who I knew was worried about me. I was afraid to hope. At that point emotionally, I didn't believe anything would work out for me.

I have to wonder if my boyfriend was pulling some strings somewhere, because every door kept opening; the surgery was actually going to happen.

My family was amazing. They rallied, they FINANCED me, they pushed me to accomplish each step toward surgery from obtaining my passport to surviving the pre-op diet! They were so patient and encouraging, even when I was less than easy to love; so mired in my grief. They gave me hope again. They made me realize I had not lost all; I was still loved.

It's making me cry to even tell this, because they were just so selfless in trying to help me. My sister sat at the passport agency with me for 6 hours (on her birthday) to get an expedited card.

I'm just so grateful. For so many reasons.

It's been so hard sometimes... but I know I can do it, and I know I'm loved and supported. There are men who would have loved me as a "big girl", Danny taught me that... but I had to learn to love myself, and I finally am.

My BIG straw??

The Dr. telling me I was diabetic and had to start taking medication. I watched my friend suffer and ultimately die from complications due to diabetes. It was hard to put a "goal weight" down for me here because I just want to be free of diabetes.