Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

It was very hard to make the decision, like other people have said it felt like I was

giving up - and "taking the easy route" - but truthfully I can honestly say that I have been "on a diet" or "dieting" - since I was in grade three - I have a huge wealth of information about what I am suppose to eat. And yet, here I am after dieting for fifty years! I think I have dieted enough. I am doing the sleeve to save what is left of my life. I have missed out on so much due to size issues - and I need to be here for the second half. I don't have my date yet - and I won't find out until July 9th - but anyone who thinks this is the easy - think again, the pre-op stuff alone is pretty tough! - but I am so excited to start my life again. So, Sue - write me back, I probably could have dieted for the next fifty years, but health issue caught up with me and I am done feeling, tired, sick, and shaky from diabetes!

The easy way out is to do, nothing!

I had many experiences that pushed me in the direction of surgery, like seeing 300lbs on the scale, a number I never thought I would see, but I wasn't seriously considering it. The straw that broke the camel's back might seem kind of silly though. It was the TV show, My 600lb Life! The first time I watched it, a woman who was totally disabled by her weight and who lived a life that terrified me started talking about her struggles with food, and I realized I could say the exact same things about my struggles. That was a huge reality check for me. I realized that woman was where I was at one point too, and now she had doubled her weight. It really scared the crap out of me. I am only a week post-surgery so I am in the beginning of my journey, but I feel like I am in the process of saving my life.

The debilitating pain in my back. I have uneven hips, and issues with my spine, my weight exarcerbated the issue so badly that standing at the sink washing dishes after 5 minutes was extremely painful. I went on a cruise with my boyfriend July last year and we couldn't do the parasailing excursion because my weight put our combined weights over the limit. I also want to skydive, and I figured starting this new lifestyle in my 20s was the best thing I could do for myself.

@amoreno. I too went on my first diet when I was about 6, so had been dieting for 55 years when I had the surgery. There was no real straw that broke the camel's back for me. It wasn't one thing, it was everything. Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired! Wanted my outsides to match my inside personality - young, energetic -- someone who participates. To all of you on the fence or in the tough early stages of pre-op or post op, it does get better! I am down about 91 lbs in about 9.5 months. I work at it every single day. I'm dieting for sure, but I wish there was another word for it. I am mindfully eating. I am eating with a purpose -- to fuel my wonderful "machine" which goes to the gym 5 times a week, that I now have stopped fighting with it and am working with it instead. It has been a total perspective change for me.

For me, the decision to have surgery flipped the switch. I think making the commitment and taking the risk of surgery (all surgeries have a risk factor) made if different than any regular diet I had ever been on. So the sleeve is a really helpful tool and for me was absolutely necessary because I never made the mindset changes without it when I dieted in the past.

Ellen

I had many experiences that pushed me in the direction of surgery, like seeing 300lbs on the scale, a number I never thought I would see, but I wasn't seriously considering it. The straw that broke the camel's back might seem kind of silly though. It was the TV show, My 600lb Life! The first time I watched it, a woman who was totally disabled by her weight and who lived a life that terrified me started talking about her struggles with food, and I realized I could say the exact same things about my struggles. That was a huge reality check for me. I realized that woman was where I was at one point too, and now she had doubled her weight. It really scared the crap out of me. I am only a week post-surgery so I am in the beginning of my journey, but I feel like I am in the process of saving my life.

Congratulations to you and good luck through the healing process. Glad you you the decision to make a change that causes one to evaluate the self and push away the ego. God Bless you on this new journey that you are embarking on.

I went on the Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park. The guy pushed down so hard on the bar and told me that if it didn't click I couldn't ride. So I let him smash me under the bar because I wasn't going to get out! It clicked and we survived the ride. However I had a large purple bruise across my mind section for about three weeks. Also for all the people I have had to apologise to for being too fat. Also to make amends for the seatbelt extension that I stole in 1984, because I didn't want to ever have to ask another stewardess for one.

I have two beautiful daughters I want to be alive to dance at their weddings and sing to my grandchildren.

Well I'm 22 single parent with a 1 year old daughter and for me it was just wanting better for myself. My self esteem had decreased incredibly , my child's father basically told me to lose weight which really hurt. Now I'm happy even though its been 5 days since being sleeved I just want to work on myself and be the hot mama I dream of

My own mother told me that I would never find a husband because I was fat. At 35 years old and at my highest weight (almost) I got married to the love of my life. It took us almost 2 years to conceive our daughter due to PCOS and polyps. I was worried my entire pregnancy that I would lose her because of the higher risks associated with my weight, PCOS, and age. During that time my husband and I decided we needed to make a change. He got diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol so we started the surgery process. He had it when our daughter was 3 weeks old and I had it when she was 7 weeks old. If we are lucky enough to have another baby I want to at least be fit.

Dear AnA92212

You are so lucky - I wanted to have a child of my own so badly and I was the problem! Too fat! At the time I was in Nicaragua and there was no help for me. Fortunately I was able to adopt the most beautiful little girl (she is 15 now) so every time I look at her I thank God that she will not have the genetic makeup of my obesity that has been passed down through the generations of my family. I am getting the sleeve so that I will be able to live longer and enjoy every moment I can with her. I know that your daughter will grow up beautiful too, her parents will introduce her to activity that I wasn't able to do and healthy food. You are so wise and so lucky! Congratulations!

Amoreno,

I do consider myself lucky. I had a very easy pregnancy especially being so overweight and old. I worked with an amazing Reproductive Endo and OBGYN and their staff. We ended up conceiving naturally so that was another blessing. I was 3 weeks PP when I had my psych evaluation for the surgery. I was holding my daughter in my arms and the psychologist asked me how having a child would affect the way my husband and I eat. I said that I was going to ensure she had a healthy relationship with food unlike me. I wanted to teach her about how to treat her body. I made many mistakes in my life due to low self esteem and with each mistake I felt worse about myself. I don't want her to have to go through that. It does hurt my heart that she might have PCOS like me but I will be proactive about her health.

With that being said, your daughter has a wonderful mother that is taking charge of her health. I will tell you that you have to be a bit selfish when it comes to your healthy which is hard for a mom to do. You have to take the time out to shop for the right foods, take your time when eating, and take time to work out. I struggle with this, but this is an investment in your future with her. Good luck on your journey! She will be so thankful you did this when she is walking across the stage to graduate, or walking down the aisle, or looking down at her own child, or just when she needs to talk to mom.

Dear Ana2212 - There is nothing more beautiful than a baby - I have a picture of the first time we met and she was just as wonderful as she is now. I am soooooooooooooo lucky! And I am doing a happy dance for you and your little one - I think we are both blessed! I look forward to my surgery and from hearing from you again! :)

My knees are shot to hell thanks to my years as a figure skater - BUT they are much worse now due to the excess weight on them.

Climbing stairs is a chore.

Being out of breath doing simple things.

Sweating while doing groceries

I do not want to embarrass my son at his college graduation next year

I want to be here for grandkids (many years from now my sons are 21 & 24)

Feeling better about myself

I NEED TO BE HEALTHY!!

@@Healthy2015 where did you have your surgery? I am from your area. Have not been on a ride at Canobie in a few years thanks to my weight :(

Dear UsedtobeaSkater!

I haven't had my surgery yet - I meet with the surgeon on July9th! I am hoping to have it this summer, however! I am going through the Bariatric Center of Lowell General Hospital. Even as skinny as a rail, I would avoid the Yankee Cannonball! Go for the Boston Tea Party!!! It is much more fun! (and no bruising!)

Having a positive test for diabetes (T2) and doc wanting to put me on Metformin, catching a glimpse in the mirror and looking 6 months pregnant when I am not, getting back boobs ;)