Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

1. My son being diagnosed with autism.... I now know that I may need to be around for many years to take care of him.

2. Wanting to be able to ride amusement park rides or ride in airplanes without being embarassed.

3. Tired of dressing like an old lady because they don't make clothes for fat 30-year olds.

4. Tired of being tired all the time and all the aches/pains! Want to have energy to get out there and play with my son!

Mine were:

- Having to walk off rides at 3 different amusement parks because I didn't fit in the seat. My friends and kids rode, but I left to snickers, laughs, and criticism of strangers.

- pre-diabetes and having to take Metformin

- Watching my 10 daughter head down the same road as me

- Seeing the scale cross the 260 mark and having to buy size 22 pants

- Back pain. I have a bad back due to a car accident in 2000, but the pain has only gotten worse in the last two years due to my added weight.

I've always been thick, but active, but this last decade all my bad habits caught up with me. In the past few years I'd gone up 2 sizes. My big issue was large meals and just not considering anything I ate. I wasn't a snacker or a late night eater, but I ate anything I wanted at meal time. Daily movements became laborious and every time I tried something it never worked. I knew I was on my way to Diabetes.

A few things come together to make this decision: 1) I reminisced on all the attempts of the past 10 years to lose weight, with no success. 2) We had a friend in our midst worked for a bariatric clinic as their nutritionist and conversation reached this topic somehow. She was able to explain the recent findings in the chemistry and challenges that the morbidly obese have and why it is so. and 3) the last thing I tried: veggie and fruit shakes only for over 3 weeks only netted me 5 lbs lost. I was over it. I knew I needed help. And I wondered if something wasn't wrong with my body, why wasn't it responding?

Edited by Charity P

I have had many "straws"

1. Not having energy to hang out with family and friends

2. Knee pain..... Oh the pain

3. My Dr straight said "do you want to die"

I can go on and on for days. I have been interested in the gastric sleeve surgery for over 2 years. 2 years ago I allowed my fiancé to talk be out of it and start working out and eating right. I can't lie it worked for a few months. When schedules changed and the momentum was gone the 15 lbs I lost came right back and brought alone 15 of their friends.

Now here I am a 34 yr old soon to be 35 yr old woman with one issue I can't get this weight under control and because most of my family is over weight no one sees and issue with it. I'm 5'2 and weight 250. I carry all my weight in my middle my stomach, my butt, and my thighs.

This brings me back to the point of this post. Today my company had off sight training for a few of us managers. This training was in the city which either required me to pay $50 to park all day or take the train. I opted to take the train. The train stairs almost killed me! The up and down and the transfer by the time I arrived at the training I was dripping with sweat, my knee felt like it was going to give out any minute not to mention it took me 15 minutes to catch my breath. I know this may seem like not so much of a big deal but It was really embarrassing to be with my co workers and have to stop and catch my breath.

I just got off the phone with my insurance company and they still cover the surgery 100% minus the co payment for the hospital and I'm sure I will end up with some out of pocket cost to meet the insurance requirement.

Next step for me is to call Mount Sanai hospital where I started the process 2 years ago to see if I have to take the class over again and to make appointment with the Dr. To talk about my next steps.

My Journey maybe just beginning but I excited and happy that I have made up my mind to change my life for me!!

My last and final straw....

I lost my father in September to Massive Heart Failure he was 56 years old. Still young. He was a pretty healthy guy or so I thought. He was a rancher/farmer who worked very hard. He was diagnosed with diabetes years ago and was taking medication. He wasn't the healthiest of eaters, but he wasn't really that big, and I would say he was pretty fit and active. Six years ago he became a new father again to my sister and raised her on his own until his death. After his passing I moved my sister in with me. It has been hard adjusting to having another child in addition to my 9yr old 3 yr old and 2yr old, but we manage.

After his passing I realized that I could quite possibly be going down the same road if I don't get healthy. The thought of having to leave my children without a mother and being raised by another family member or possibly being split up between family breaks my heart and is the whole reason for me doing this.

Many straws! I would say the one that made me pick up the phone to see a surgeon was dieting for the 100th time, and gaining the weight back. Again. For the 100th time. Other "straws"-

1.) starting to have heart palpitations and occasional chest pain. Cleared by a cardiologist....but it still gives me anxiety.

2.) losing 100lbs on my own and gaining it back.

3.) wanting to have a 2nd baby, but too scared to be pregnant again at this weight. (Lots of pregnancy/delivery complications related to weight with my first baby).

4.) loving to socialize, but always dreading seeing family I haven't seen in awhile during the holidays and wondering if they are judging my weight gain, how I eat, etc. I just want to go to family functions and enjoy!

5.) being too big to fit- in everything. The regular sized BP cuff at the doctors office, seats in airplanes, restaurants, and theaters, etc.

6.) not having enough energy for my 2 year old and my stomach being too big for her to sit comfortably on my lap to read a book.

7.) my father and grandfather had heart attacks/congestive heart failure and my father has diabetes. Poorly controlled diabetes. He has constant issues with foot sores. I do not want that life!!

My list

1. Not being able to fit into a relay sized lawn chair

2. Not being able to go to a Water park or amusement because there is a weight limit that I am 100 lbs to heavy for.

3. Going from being pre diabetic to having full on diabetes.

4. Not being able to fit comfortably into am airplane seat and needing to pay for 2 seats if I want to fly.

5. Shopping for cute clothes but nothing I like fit decent

6. Having back pain when I walk.

7. Not feeling comfortable taking pictures or looking in a mirror because I'm tired of looking like a whale.

My last straw:

1. When I was offered clothes that were a size 20. (I refused to fo hiher than the size 18 I was just making into.)

2. When I could barely reach behind myself for a good clean.

3. The CPAP

4. High blood pressure pills.

5. The osteoarthrites in both knees. Living in the city and using MTA (OMG) the stairs and the pain.

I did not want to go another size larger. All my weight was in the middle. I could not take it any more.

I waited two full years before I decided to have the surgery. I told myself that if I couldn't take the weight off by myself in that time, I'd get sleeved. Well, it didn't happen. There were other determining factors, since I obviously dragged my feet. One, I saw a picture of myself with my aunt and cousin, and my friggin arm took up most of the picture. The other was that both my aunt and cousin had the sleeve done, and every time I see them they seem to get smaller and smaller. My aunt has been trying to talk me into getting the surgery for a while. She was a lightweight too at under 200lbs.

The real turning point - My Mom was in the hospital last month due to complications with her COPD. I just saw so many other patients who were overweight, dealing with pulmonary issues, suffering from diabetes complications with horrible mobility and I just got that that would be me some day. I realized how small my life has become and the things I've avoided because of my weight like flying, small restaurants, group activities, etc. Turning 45 and feeling like my joints just ache from carrying this weight around. Feeling like I can't do all of the things with my 5-year old that I'd like to do. Worried that he won't have a Mom if I don't get my act together. Worried that I'll suffer diabetes complications if I don't figure this out. Regaining the same 30lbs again this year that I managed to take off after dieting and exercising last year for what is surely the umpteenth time. I feel like I finally really see myself instead of the me I have in my mind who's not carrying all of this weight and have finally decided I'm more important than the food I do battle with daily.

What was the final thing that you encountered that made you say this is enough? I have had numerous.

1. Leaving a wife and 2 sons, Husbandless and fatherless.

2. Not being able to get on amusement park rides with my sons.

3. Not being able to take my wife to a concert, because i could not fit in a seat.

4. Avoiding restuarant,movie theaters and sports complexes with tiny seats.

For me, walking through a a department store and some little child looking at me like im a alien had to be one the hardest things.

Respectfully,

Joe

DEPRESSION I went into depression, I'm not married, have no kids, but I have a family and great friends, but I was loosing them because I had a terrible attitude, was mad at everything and everyone, AND EATING MORE THAN EVER, after getting therapy I realized I was slowly killing myself, like suicide, CAME ACROSS people with the same issue who encourage me to take a step up, I will never regret it, I'm back now, but only as a new person with a great life quality.