Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now 6 weeks post op and feel what I call hunger pangs, but without the rumbling stomach like I would have pre surgery.

Is this normal?

I thought once I'd have the surgery, all that would be gone.

Doesn't seem to be the case :(

Help!

I eat 3 meals a day and no snacking.

Um, I think it's a normal biological function to be hungry since we have to eat to live. My surgeon never told me that I'd never be hungry again. Maybe it's the type of food you're eating or dehydration which is commonly mistaken for hunger.

During the surgery the surgeon removes the stretchy part of the stomach which is also where the majority of the hunger hormone is produced. However, the part of the stomach that is left still produces this hormone, just in smaller amounts. You will likely still feel hunger, but it will be significantly less than it was pre-op.

Thanks. My meals vary and may include:

B: Porridge or 1/2 a muffin with avocado and scrambled eggs/poached egg or 1 slice of toast with Peanut Butter.

MT: Small non fat latte

L: A cracker of some sort with avocado/cream cheese, tuna, Tomato.< /p>

D: Either grilled chicken or fish, sweet potato, vegies.

B: Porridge or 1/2 a muffin with avocado and scrambled eggs/poached egg or 1 slice of toast with Peanut Butter.

L: A cracker of some sort with avocado/cream cheese' date=' tuna, Tomato.< /p>

D: Either grilled chicken or fish, sweet potato, vegies.[/quote']

You should run this past your NUT and see what they recommend.

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

I get hungry at the same intensity before surgery but, I get full much faster and on very little food.< /p>

L: A cracker of some sort with avocado/cream cheese' date=' tuna, Tomato.< /p>

D: Either grilled chicken or fish, sweet potato, vegies.[/quote']

You said you are 6 weeks out. There are a couple things that might help you here.

First off, you should be eating 5-7 times a day. At least every 3 hrs.

And there is a very real lack of protien here too. Protien will help you stay satiated.

Do you take an acid b;ocker daily? My Dr. recommends them twice a day for at least 3 months. He says they help to control hunger pangs! I am taking mine.

I was taking one blocker daily up until last Friday (Nexium). I asked my surgeon if I was to continue this one the current script ran out and he said no. I work for my GP and there's a stash of samples, so I might grab a box as some days I do feel a bit refluxy.

Re the 5-7 meals, I was under the impression that I was only allowed 3 meals a day. Best I do a bit more research I think :)

The #1 thing I have seen that is drastically different on this site is everyone's diets. Definitely check with your NU.

Also understand I question everything. Remember it is quality food over quantity and Protein must come first. I'm having a hard time with that right now myself.

I asked my Dr about the hunger after my surgery because I was shocked. My surgery was running behind by 5 hours so I was starving when I went in and not hungry when I came out and I was like WTH. I didn't know that was going to happen. He said it varies from person to person and may or may not come back. The time in which it might come back varies too. I would ask your NUT about the food and your Dr about the hunger pains.

Every doc is different, mine allows 3 meals a day no snacking also.

Definitely check with your surgeon regarding the possibility what you're feeling is actually acid reflux, and not true hunger. I had horrible acid reflux after my surgery, came home from the hospital on liquid Zantac, and have since had a dissolvable Prevacid tablet added, as well. I wouldn't advise using anything without a script from your surgeon, and definitely get liquid, dissolvable, or capsules you can open and mix with something else (no tablets). Best of luck.

I am now 6 weeks post op and feel what I call hunger pangs' date=' but without the rumbling stomach like I would have pre surgery.

Is this normal?

I thought once I'd have the surgery, all that would be gone.

Doesn't seem to be the case :(

Help!

I eat 3 meals a day and no snacking.[/quote']

Hmm. Me too. Strange. It hurts too. Im gonna have to ask my NUT about this. If you talk to yours first, let me know!

Not everyone loses their hunger after surgery. Some do, some don't. I can tell you after reading forums for a few years now before having surgery that everyone reports different things. Some lose it, and eventually it slowly starts coming back but never to pre-surgery levels. Some never lose it. I experience small amounts of hunger compared to pre-surgery levels. It's like a whisper of hunger instead of intense!