Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Top 5 Things You Did Or Should Have Done Prior To Surgery To Ensure Success.

For you Post Op folks, could you list the 5 things you did, or wish now you had done prior to surgery that

helped you be successful.

I am hoping those of us still pre, may be able to incorporate your suggestions and increase our

success at transition with new life.

1. Wrote down my list of whys. Things I hated about being fat, reasons I needed to lose weight and things I looked forward to when I lost the extra weight. This list helped me get through pre-op diet and came in handy post-op when I was not feeling great and questioning why I did this to myself.

2. Follow the pre-op diet closely. This shrinks your liver which makes your surgery easier and safer. Also, I was glad I got my sugar/carb withdrawal symptoms out of the way before surgey instead of after.

3. Shop ahead for the things I would need post surgery. broth, Protein powder, chewable Vitamins etc. Your NUT or surgeon will give you a list. You don't want to have to go shopping after you get home.

4. Arranged for help at home for the first week. My mom and dad drove the kids to their activities. My mom cooked a few meals. A friend cooked a meal for my family one night. It was nice not to have to worry about that stuff. If someone offers help, take them up on it! (this is a tough one for me, but I am glad I did not turn down offers for help)

5. Join this forum. I wish I had known about the forum pre-op. It would have helped me with my nerves before surgery. I discovered it when I googled a problem I was having post-op. I found this forum and also found out that what I was experiencing was completely normal. The people on here have been a wonderful source of information, inspiration and support!

The list above is great....

A few other things I did was cut off of caffeine/carbonated sodas. This was a huge deal for me as I was a Dr.pepper addict.

-Have a support group in place. This forum is great. However, during the time I was on liquids post-op. I thought what did I do.

-Never be afraid to ask questions no matter how little they seem, you need to completely know what is going on with your body.

-Drink as much as you can to avoid dehydration. If I get minimally dehydrated I get a major headache.

-Last remember everyone is different you will have your own sucesses and they may not be the same as everyone else's or as much. But we all have a goal and we will get there.

The last one has got me a few times to the point of tears but I have to remember my body is gonna do what's best for me.

I hope this helps if even just a little bit.

• Work out every day until surgery. Walk for at least 30 minutes at a moderate pace.
  • Lose 10-15 lbs or more on your own before surgery, even if it is not required by your program/surgeon.
  • Go on the clear, sugar-free, caffeine free liquid diet for at least 3 days leading into surgery, even if it is not required by your program/surgeon.
    *If you haven't been working out steadily and haven't lost any weight before surgery, strongly consider the 14-day liver shrinking diet, which is basically two low-carb Protein Shakes and a low-carb dinner.< br />
  • Strive to follow pre and post-guidance to the letter. You will probably screw up a little somewhere, but don't we all?
  • Choose the right program/surgeon, if you have a choice. That means someone you are comfortable with and that you have researched to your satisfaction.
  • Reduce your stress. Don't worry. I was honestly not worried about the surgery itself, at all. I had my tonsils out last year -- that's a tough recovery as an adult. The surgery isn't what you should worry about, you're in, you're out and you're done. Worry about preparing for surgery so you can have a quick and successful recovery.

thank you, its really helpful to hear suggestions from you Postops! Please keep them coming!

Awesome thread!!

1. Started practicing and mastering post op eating and drinking habits. Stopping Water before I eat and not drinking afterward is a breeze now. I'm on soft foods and eating the same things I ate pre op, so life feels like its back to normal.

2. Got a handle on my emotional eating and head hunger triggers. Pre op, I got used to seeing my students have cupcakes and not have one myself. It made eating with the family easier when I was having yogurt or baby food and they were having steak. I didn't eat the same food as everyone else and I survived.

3. I eliminated Snacks and eating out of boredom. Post op healing is really boring, but I'm full on my 3 meals a day.

4. This one will be controversial, but I had a food funeral. Wouldn't recommend this for everyone. I was well below goal, weeks away from surgery, and had been following my pre op diet (based on the program's post op diet) for close to 3 months, so I was really used to eating healthy! I took a few meals and ate like I did when I didn't care what I ate. Fast food made me sick and didn't even taste that good, Starbucks was just OK, and I made myself sick again by eating entire bags of snack food.

How did that prepare me for surgery? I'd been afraid of what would happen if my tastes changed and it was out of my control because of the irreversible surgery. Here I was, pre op, and my tastes were already changing. I was fine with that and would be fine with it as a post op patient. I also learned some strategies and coping mechanisms. I can make my own bacon cheeseburgers at home without the bun that are healthier and taste better than what fast food has to offer. I like Starbucks more for the atmosphere than the food and beverages, so it doesnt matter that I've switched from coffee to Decaf tea. I also realized that I was a snack food binger, but I think the only solution to that is to not buy it.

1. Started practicing and mastering post op eating and drinking habits. Stopping Water before I eat and not drinking afterward is a breeze now. I'm on soft foods and eating the same things I ate pre op' date=' so life feels like its back to normal.

2. Got a handle on my emotional eating and head hunger triggers. Pre op, I got used to seeing my students have cupcakes and not have one myself. It made eating with the family easier when I was having yogurt or baby food and they were having steak. I didn't eat the same food as everyone else and I survived.

3. I eliminated Snacks and eating out of boredom. Post op healing is really boring, but I'm full on my 3 meals a day.

4. This one will be controversial, but I had a food funeral. Wouldn't recommend this for everyone. I was well below goal, weeks away from surgery, and had been following my pre op diet (based on the program's post op diet) for close to 3 months, so I was really used to eating healthy! I took a few meals and ate like I did when I didn't care what I ate. Fast food made me sick and didn't even taste that good, Starbucks was just OK, and I made myself sick again by eating entire bags of snack food.

How did that prepare me for surgery? I'd been afraid of what would happen if my tastes changed and it was out of my control because of the irreversible surgery. Here I was, pre op, and my tastes were already changing. I was fine with that and would be fine with it as a post op patient. I also learned some strategies and coping mechanisms. I can make my own bacon cheeseburgers at home without the bun that are healthier and taste better than what fast food has to offer. I like Starbucks more for the atmosphere than the food and beverages, so it doesnt matter that I've switched from coffee to Decaf tea. I also realized that I was a snack food binger, but I think the only solution to that is to not buy it.[/quote']

I like this specialy the food funeral. I think is like any other addiction. I like that u tested ur taste buds to c how they changed before surgery.. Smart.

I like this specialy the food funeral. I think is like any other addiction. I like that u tested ur taste buds to c how they changed before surgery.. Smart.

I got used to eating healthy and feeling healthy. I was in a pretty good mood when I started that fast food meal. I felt terrible afterwards and realized how unhealthy it was, physically and mentally.

Great post!!!

1. Practice eating s-l-o-w-l-y

2. Practice eating small bites.

3. Had one great meal at the Mexican Restaurant before surgery.

4. Taken more before pics.

5. Begin my workouts and not slacked off.