Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Meal The Night Before Surgery?

Just curious, I have read several surgeons (all from the Mx forum) that allow a "last meal" literally the night before surgery and even recommend a great resteraunt to go to. I didnt think we could do this. My surgeon in Mx. has me on a strict 2 wk pre-op diet which includes the last 3 days to be Clear liquids only and no eating after midnight. I dont think he would approve a "last meal" seeing as you may go overboard and stuff yourself.

Just curious as to what others have done and why this would be ok, obviously it is as those that have done it seem to have no problems.

I dontf know if I'd trust any surgeon who encouraged their patient to have a meal the night before surgery.

Um....can you say big fatty liver?

I did 10 days of liquid diet before surgery and my surgeon said it was big. He WAS able to work though. So I wouldn't even imagine being able to eat a full meal.

Even with "little" procedures not related when they'll use anesthesia they say small meal for dinner and then fast after midnight.

&(!%(!&*!@*(!!

What I would have done for a Mexican meal at that point!

The night before surgery, I went with my family to a restaurant, and watched them eat seafood. UUGGHH, it was so hard! I didn't want to take any chances, so i sipped my Protein Shake and drooled.

I've heard about a certain Dr. in Mexico encouraging his patients to have a "last supper" the day before surgery... Personally, I don't get it either... BUT.... to each their own.. I went to Mexico as well and loved my surgeon.. Had an incredible experience and was so in "the zone" that I didn't want to sabotage myself by eating something that I have deprived myself of for a good month... I mean.. what's the point anyway???? :wacko:

I wish! Instead, I have to drink a laxative the day before and have a very light supper :(

I would stick to your doctors instructions, there is a reason they issue them. If you are serious about this journey, than stick to the plan:)

My last meal night before surgery was tacos..

I would stick to your doctors instructions, there is a reason they issue them. If you are serious about this journey, than stick to the plan:)

I plan to completely - I have no intentions of eating a "last meal" I already did that about a month ago. I honestly am like some that have responded, so ready I dont really care. Although I am hungry (cant deny that) I actually am feeling 100% more healthy and feel great otherwise. I have lost 17 lbs so far and still have 11 days to go....so I dont want to take any chances.

I agree with those that have posted it would take more than 1 meal to sabbotage and actually affect your liver....I am sure that is pretty true, I mean it makes sense it would take more than 1 single meal to cause complications. But for me....its more of a mental thing I guess. I am a all or nothing person (sometimes that is no so good) and if I have it in my head that I am going to eat this humongus, fatty, greasy meal before surgery it gets my head out of the place it is now which is not eating just because it tastes good.

No judgement for those that have done it - frankly I wish I were courageous enough to do it....but Im not, what I wouldnt do for a huge plate of Mexican food...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. But, I just like to stick by the plan and do what I am advised to do....that way I know I have done all I can do to get where I need/want to be.

The post was just about curiousity of what everyone else has done and why.....thanks guys!

The food may be out of your stomach, but not your digestive system. Do you really want to pass the food through when you already will be uncomfortable after surgery. I was on clear liquid only a few days prior and then NOTHING, not even Water after 7 PM the night before.

My surgery is tomorrow. My doctor told me that if I were going to have a last supper I should do it over the weekend and eat lighter/healthy meals on Monday (today). I enjoyed myself thoroughly over the weekend, but avoided over eating. Also no pre-op diet with this surgeon. He says he can handle the liver factor. Lucky me.

I've heard about a certain Dr. in Mexico encouraging his patients to have a "last supper" the day before surgery... Personally, I don't get it either... BUT.... to each their own.. I went to Mexico as well and loved my surgeon.. Had an incredible experience and was so in "the zone" that I didn't want to sabotage myself by eating something that I have deprived myself of for a good month... I mean.. what's the point anyway???? :wacko:

I feel like I need clear up what I meant.... I didn't mean sabotage yourself physically.. Both of my parents are Doctors and I obviously understand that what you eat the night before will be out of your system by that morning..... I was referring to MY mental state and the fact that I had been so in "the zone" watching what I was eating, etc... I committed to losing a certain amount of weight before surgery and I wasn't about to gorge myself on tacos and margaritas only to pick up 2-3 lbs the day before surgery. But hey.. that's just ME! Maybe you didn't have to lose a certain amount of weight... who knows..... That's the beauty of the forums.... We each have a different viewpoint!!

I am going to Dr. Alvarez in MX. His paperwork states 2 restaurants close to the hotel for your guest to have dinner at but he states his patent MUST only have Soup.

I have read many US doctors that require mo preop diet. What is that about?!