Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC September Chat

Hi again Kirsten, I took your advise and just scheduled an appointmen with Dr. Ortiz for 9/27. That takes care of that problem. Thanks.

Andy Liz,

I love it. As I am reading your post I am burping like crazy after trying to eat some solid chicken. I thought I chewed well enough but then I started burping like crazy and then suddenly felt nauseous. Sure enough here came a small PB. I guess I have to go a little more slowly with solid food.

I can tell you that the first 2 weeks after surgery, I burped night and day. It was just like you explained as if you were displacing the air in your stomach with soft food or liquid.

I also found out that I have to drink small sips of Water with my meal otherwise my esophagus feels too dry. I am sure after I have my first fill that will likely change.

Hello!

Man, a lot goes on here in just a few short days. Sounds like a few have broken through the plateau and that is fabulous!!! I got the scale to move 1.5 lbs this week so I'm hoping the plateau is over...!!! With this in mind though I think I need to revamp my goal for September. I'm going with 8 lbs total - that will put me at 245 and I NEED to be happy with that.

It took me awhile to catch up on all the reading I needed to do but I found PeloRojo's comments on burping to be of special interest to me...

2) Do you guys feel sort of a burpy sensation but nothing comes to the surface. I get it whether I've been eating or not. Like a gas rising in my chest -- and I have to take a breath to make it pass - but no burp payoff? sound right?

Yeah - I did this a lot at first. It felt like a huge burp needed to come up and nothing would. Someone told me this was from irritation and that we shouldn't try to burp when this happened. It does pass and now I burp like never before.

Something I have noticed is that when eating mushies as they slide down I burp frequently. Almost like the air in the lower stomach burbles up as the food goes down, kind of weird and I can't imagine my husband, friends and family are going to find this amusing at meal time.....! Too bad!

I have been able to eat about a cup of food at a sitting and I really feel completely full for several hours. And something that's really strange to me - when my stomach growls, I hear it but I don't really feel it too much and it's not like I HAVE to eat something right then. It's more like, "hey, I'm empty here, how about a little snack? " as opposed to, "I'M HUNGRY - FEED ME HUGE AMOUNTS OF FOOD NOW!"

Well, I'm wishing us continued weight loss - I'm off work until Friday so I'll be checking in much more frequently - take care!

I'm going to be so anxious to hear about everyone's first fills - looks like we're starting to look forward to those!!! I'm just shy of 3 weeks out from surgery and feel like I have adequate restriction - a lot can change between now and October 2 (when I have my first fill scheduled) but if I continue with this level of restriction I think I'll just sit here awhile and cancel the appointment.

Andy Liz

My fill is scheduled for September 18th in TJ with Dr. Ortiz. I have not lost a pound in about 2 weeks and I seem to be able to eat anything that I want. I dont' feel full. I got depressed about not losing anything.

I had a bad day yesterday and kept eating... I even had a piece of pound cake at Starbucks.... WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!! I thought I would feel full but i didn't until I had obviously overeaten. Even though it was less that I would normally eat it was not due to really being hungry, just not full. Today I am back tracking what I eat on Weight Watchers Online and that helps me to SEE what I am eating.

Thank you for all being there, it makes it easier if I am not alone in this.

Hey all--anyone else feeling like this:

I am about 11 days post-op. I was having great restriction until about 1-2 days ago. I noticed I could eat (drink) more, and that I could actually burp! Now-today-I am really, really, hungry!! I haven't eaten solid food--but I have blended veg. beef Soup, re-fried Beans, and ckn. noodle Soup and still don't feel full after I eat them. Anyone else going through this? Do you think it's just I am finally no longer swollen and have no restriction? AHHHHH---I am just so frustrated! I lost 20 pounds, now I am not losing anymore!!!! Don't get me wrong--20 is great but I wanted to continue to lose!!!

Okay--I am revising my weight goal--5 pounds for September!:eek:

I promise you a week ago I thought, "I will cancel my September 11 fill because I am doing just fine. In fact I go months like this. . . " Within 48 hours, my swelling must have decreased significantly because my hunger returned and my eating habits change accordingly. I am eating faster, more, and with certain foods, I don't need to chew a million times.

So just wait and see how your body heals over the next few weeks.

I'm going to be so anxious to hear about everyone's first fills - looks like we're starting to look forward to those!!! I'm just shy of 3 weeks out from surgery and feel like I have adequate restriction - a lot can change between now and October 2 (when I have my first fill scheduled) but if I continue with this level of restriction I think I'll just sit here awhile and cancel the appointment.

Andy Liz

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum only because I just happened to stumble upon it. I like what I've seen so far!!

Can I join in on the ABC chat. I was banded by Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico on 8/8/06.

I have great days and okay days. I'm down 20 pounds so far and ready for my fill.

Okay, I've already changed my mind about the fill because today I could eat like crazy. It changes every few days so who knows what I'll feel like in another month...! Fickle, fickle, fickle! There were a few times that I know I forgot to chew as well as I should have and no problems whatsoever! I'm still eating soft food and about a cup at a time but I'm needing more cups during the day to feel satisfied - at least that's how it went today!

Andy Liz

PS - welcome Justy! I'm a Rumbaut patient too - I was there on the 17th and just thought the world of him and all his staff. Glad to have you join the group!

Hey guys, it sound fantastic. I was banded on the 31st - just squeezed into the ABC. Being new I have a question - sounds whiney but how do you make crushed medication go down smooth and not taste terrible? I'm still in the Fluid stage and taking my meds is making me sick! I'm really looking forward to the next stage. :0) Thanks for the info!

I thought I would have to crush all my pills (7 of them) after surgery, but my doc said if they are small I should be able to take them with sips of Water and have no problem. I have one tablet that is kinda big and I break it in half, but the rest go down whole with no problem. The largest whole pill is a little smaller than the eraser on the jumbo pencils we used in kindergarden. It takes me about five minutes to get everything down, but I have had no problems, and I started this the day after my surgery. Have you tried taking them whole? Just a thought.

I can't imagine my husband, friends and family are going to find this amusing at meal time.....! Too bad!

I was really worried about this myself, but everybody thinks it's hilarious. My co-workers are very proud of me as I was always the shy lady-like worker who made no bodily sounds and my hubby and in-laws find it pretty funny also. If anyone gives you grief over your burpees, tell them that the gas could be coming from the OTHER end; I'm sure that will shut them up! :eek::cool:

I had a bad day yesterday and kept eating... I even had a piece of pound cake at Starbucks.... WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!! I thought I would feel full but i didn't until I had obviously overeaten. Even though it was less that I would normally eat it was not due to really being hungry, just not full. Today I am back tracking what I eat on Weight Watchers Online and that helps me to SEE what I am eating.

Don' be so hard on yourself! You are still new to bandland and you are still learning what you body and mind are trying to tell you and which one to listen to when. Hang in there! Things WILL get better! :eek:

I'm new to this forum only because I just happened to stumble upon it. I like what I've seen so far!!

Can I join in on the ABC chat. I was banded by Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico on 8/8/06.

WELCOME! Of course you can join the ABC chat. We are a very friendly, laid back group here to support anyone who needs us. All comments, frustrations, etc. are welcome! We are here for you!

I have to confess...I broke doctor's order today!!! I was supposed to be on full liquids for six more days, but I just couldn't take it anymore (I was really good for 2 weeks of Clear Liquids and the first week of full liquids). My hubby took me to Red Lobster and I did great! Small portions, chewed well, small bites, AND finished my saucer of food after he finished his "all you can eat" shrimp...and he eats ALOT!!!

I had read on several posts by previous months band crews that sometimes you have to tell the waitress that you just don't eat a lot or that you can't, due to WLS. I really didn't think it would ever happen but it did. I ate about 1/4 of my fish, 1/4 of my mashed potatos and the Tomato and cucumber off my salad. Everytime she came by she kept asking, "Ma'am, is your meal okay?" I guess this really goes to show just how much Americans are eating now days, when the waitress thinks something is wrong with your meal because you don't scarf down your entire meal that is big enough to feed 2-3 adults!

It was a very enlightening experiance!!!

Yesterday was my first real day of exercise since my surgery. Prior to that, I was just taking walks with my son in the mall or weather permitting in the neighorhood. Well, Sunday we picked up a treadmill. So yesterday was my first workout. I did 1/2 hour on the treadmill, at about 2 to 2.5 mph.

I did really well except I decided I'm not ready to join a gym. OMG, do I sweat!!! I had sweat dripping down my face, my hair was soaked. I don't get it, I wasn't that tired or feel I worked that hard but apparently, I'm a sweater.:eek:

I wonder if I'll sweat less as I lose weight. Hope so.:phanvan

Losin' it, It sounds like you did okay with your meal. Just take it slow. I found that once I incorporated some solids in my diet, my hunger waned a bit. I guess at some point the liquids didn't cut it any more.

I made penne bolognese last night. Yum, I love Pasta. I added a ton of ground beef to the sauce and took mostly beef and sauce and just a little pasta. I had a total of about a cup which took about 1/2 hour to eat. My husband commented that before surgery I would have taken two huge servings. I'm a huge pasta addict. He was laughing that I could have downed that cup of pasta in 30 seconds. Sad part is...he's right!!! And if you would have asked me, I would have said, "I really don't eat much, I don't understand how I gained so much weight.":p

Welcome to the newbies to the ABC!!! The more the merrier.

Keep up the great work ABC!! We're all doing great!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: