Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC September Chat

Hi to all,

I am getting ready for my 1st fill on Wednesday. I am not feeling any restriction right now, regardless of what I eat. I can't wait for my fill so that I can begin losing again. Lately I've been just white knuckling it and dieting. I'm very pleased that my scars are really light and seem to be healing so well. I don't feel any pain around my port now either. Hope everyone is feeling good as well. THANKS!

Keep us updated, good luck.

Hey ABC'ers! Happy to have survived the weekend with my husbands family reunion. I am still at 372, which is a miracle considering what I ate this weekend. My weekend started out with a little scare. I went to the doctor on Friday afternoon and was told I most likely have skin cancer. THey did a biopsy of a spot on my cheek and said they'll call me in a week. It pretty much sent me for a loop and I left and my husband and I went and had pizza at Pizza Hut. I had NO problems eating two pieces of my little baby pan pizza. I haven't had problems with very many things. I do still eat way smaller portions. On saturday my sis in law gave me some mcdonalds fries and I ate five of them...chewing them really well and I felt them get stuck... UH OH! No more McD fries for me. I didn't PB thankfully but it didn't feel good at all. I've had that feeling three times now. I think it comes from eating too fast and taking too big of bites. I've had no problems with pizza or any pastas. I've had spaghetti...lasagna and baked ziti. I just take small bites and chew the hell out of it. No problems.

I missed posting with all of ya! Hope you all had a good weekend!

Glad to hear everyone is doing great! My scale FINALLY moved a pound. YEAH! I started on some solids today. Got only a few bites in and then felt like I had to burp, but couldn't. Maybe I have restriction and that was my signal to stop eatin? Hmmm..... I'm actually afraid to eat after hearing the horror stories about getting stuck and the PB's. I finally got out tonight to walk (2 miles) and it actually felt good. I find walking soooooo boring. Maybe I'll have to break down and get me the I-Pod I've been wanting. I have to find something I enjoy. The gym thing doesn't work for me because I can always just leave. I don't have the willpower to stick it out. At least with walking, I've gotta keep going to make it home. LOL

Hey guys, it sounds like for the most part everybody is doing good. Like, Mferra (same doc, same day) I'm only 5 days out. I feel like a total rookie compared to you guys! What a difference 20 days can make.

Chrissie, that bagel...oh I'm so envious! Er, I mean, I'm so dissapointed in you. No No, seriously, it's ok. You don't even have restriction yet. It was a little splurge. Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone keeps saying 'the band is a tool' but the tool hasn't been engaged yet -- so you're working on will power alone. And we ALL know how totally impossib;e the will power game can be.

I kinda let me BC pill linger in my mouth too long before I took a swig of Water. No it's all burny in my esophagus. I used to do this by accident pre-band too - but now I'm all hyper tuned in to everyting little thing trying to feel for the 'soft stop' and all. I'm sipping some warm water. Beat it, pill residue - get outta my esophagus!

Hey guys, it sound fantastic. I was banded on the 31st - just squeezed into the ABC. Being new I have a question - sounds whiney but how do you make crushed medication go down smooth and not taste terrible? I'm still in the Fluid stage and taking my meds is making me sick! I'm really looking forward to the next stage. :0) Thanks for the info!

Hello!

Man, a lot goes on here in just a few short days. Sounds like a few have broken through the plateau and that is fabulous!!! I got the scale to move 1.5 lbs this week so I'm hoping the plateau is over...!!! With this in mind though I think I need to revamp my goal for September. I'm going with 8 lbs total - that will put me at 245 and I NEED to be happy with that.

It took me awhile to catch up on all the reading I needed to do but I found PeloRojo's comments on burping to be of special interest to me...

2) Do you guys feel sort of a burpy sensation but nothing comes to the surface. I get it whether I've been eating or not. Like a gas rising in my chest -- and I have to take a breath to make it pass - but no burp payoff? sound right?

Yeah - I did this a lot at first. It felt like a huge burp needed to come up and nothing would. Someone told me this was from irritation and that we shouldn't try to burp when this happened. It does pass and now I burp like never before.

Something I have noticed is that when eating mushies as they slide down I burp frequently. Almost like the air in the lower stomach burbles up as the food goes down, kind of weird and I can't imagine my husband, friends and family are going to find this amusing at meal time.....! Too bad!

I have been able to eat about a cup of food at a sitting and I really feel completely full for several hours. And something that's really strange to me - when my stomach growls, I hear it but I don't really feel it too much and it's not like I HAVE to eat something right then. It's more like, "hey, I'm empty here, how about a little snack? " as opposed to, "I'M HUNGRY - FEED ME HUGE AMOUNTS OF FOOD NOW!"

Well, I'm wishing us continued weight loss - I'm off work until Friday so I'll be checking in much more frequently - take care!

Chrissie,

The toddler plate sounds like a great idea. It should really help with portion sizes. I've found that I need to put all I'm allowed on my plate and get the rest of the food away from me, otherwise I'll keep picking.

Sweet Caroline,

Let us know how your fill goes. I'm particularly interested in your restriction after your fill. I'm not sure if I'm restricted enough. It's so hard to tell.

I was just asked to be a bridesmaid for my brother's wedding in June. Now that should be some serious motivation. I don't wanna be a fat bridesmaid. I told my mother, "I'd better lose enough weight, what if Patti (my future sis-in-law) picks out a gown that doesn't come in my size?" Could you imagine?? Got my treadmill yesterday, I'm gonna try it out later this morning!!! All I keep thinking about is those comedy sketches where the treadmill is going so fast and the person's feet are flying in the air. That would be me... well add dripping sweat and windedness. LOL!!! Ahhh, I hate exercise!!!

Lovin' the ABC!!!!!:biggrin1:

Hi!

Yeah, Libra - imagine this.... I was asked to be a bridesmaid because they ordered the dress for the "original" bridesmaid in the largest size they made and it still didn't fit her. I was the only other person she could think of that would wear that size - what the .....? How's that for a compliment? I told her I would do it if the dress fit and I was hoping and praying that it wouldn't, but the damned thing did - crap! It didn't even need an alteration - yeah that made me feel just pretty freakin fabulous.:faint:

You're going to knock them out though - lots of time to lose weight and exercise before then!!!

Andy

Hey guys,

Sounds like everyone is doing well. I woke up this morning and am so discouraged. I am in soooo much pain. I went to the ER last week and they told me I tore an abdominal muscle....but why am I in so much pain??? I am in more pain now than 2 days post-op. I am taking loritab like it's going out of style, it hurts to sit here at my desk, to walk, to do anything...I havent shaved my legs in a week because I can't bend down...wtf??? And the scale isn't moving. Honestly, I could deal with the pain if the scale would just budge...I've been struggling with the same 3lbs for about 9 days now....ugh...I hate to have a pity party, but I'm so frustrated right now!!!

ok, everyone, I need some advice! I am 5 days post op, and:

1. I am hungry all the time, am having yogurt, even tried some cheesy scrambled eggs today(protein), am drinking crystal lite, Water, etc. I am ready for a double decker burger and fries!

2. I have only lost 5lbs since surgery (10 b4 surgery) and it seems like most everyone on here has lost AT LEAST 10 - 20lbs or more!

What am I doing wrong?

Connie

Happy,

I was 5 days post op yesterday too.

1. Even though you think you could eat a Dbl. Cheeseburger and Fries, this is most likely your "Mind Hunger" talking. I have been talking about having mind hunger on many of my posts. Your stomach is still healing from the surgery, so even though your mind wants a Dbl. cheeseburger, your stomach isnt really ready for it. I can only take in 3 oz at a time right now before I get the heavy pressure feeling in my chest, but my mind wants much more and only knowing that I will be in pain if I keep going is why I stop.

2. I have only lost 5-6 pounds too. I think this is a normal or an above average amount for people 5 days out from surgery. Especially since, if you are like me, your stomach is still bloated and swollen from the surgery.

O Happy, I just thought of one more thing. I remember reading a post by muffinbirdie. (we all know her right?) There was a stage where she ate and ate and never felt full. Finally, she analyzed what she was eating. She wasn't eating "sugar free" choices and somehow they weren't satisfying her hunger. She made sure to start and buy sugar free options of the food she was eating and the problem was solved. If you need me to find her post regarding the topic let me know and I will search for it again.

Hi Kirstin, RLE here, you are really doing good. I can eat anything I want and as much as before the band without any restriction at all. I even take my meds whole. I am definately in need of a fill. I don't eat as much as before and have lost 17 lbs. since our date with Dr. Ortiz. I tried to get appointments for a fill locally here in Idaho today and they won't even talk to an Ortiz patient. I think they are really jeolous of his business. Keep up your good progress.

Hi Kirstin, RLE here, you are really doing good. I can eat anything I want and as much as before the band without any restriction at all. I even take my meds whole. I am definately in need of a fill. I don't eat as much as before and have lost 17 lbs. since our date with Dr. Ortiz. I tried to get appointments for a fill locally here in Idaho today and they won't even talk to an Ortiz patient. I think they are really jeolous of his business. Keep up your good progress.

Hi RLE!!!

Wow! 17 lbs! You're doing great!!! I actually just scheduled my first fill for Oct. 2nd. with Dr. Ortiz. I'm only a few hours away, so it won't be that hard for me to get back down to TJ. You might consider flying in and out for a fill????

Hey Guys,

My Dr.'s nurse called today to see how I was doing. She told me several things, which I thought I would share.

1. I am only able to eat 3 oz. per meal. So she told me to up my meals to 4-6 a day to make sure I am getting enough Protein and nutrition. I thought that was interesting.

2. My surgery center said to be sure and call and make an appointment with my Dr. 30 days post op. So, I asked her if I could schedule that appointment now. I found her response very interesting. She said that the appointment was actually for my first fill and that it is different for everyone. It could be as early as 3 weeks and as late as 3 months. She said I would know when it was time for a fill , when I could eat with no restriction and am not losing any weight. Anyway, I found that response very interesting.

To update the ticker, you just go into edit signature, delete your current ticker, then go to ticker factory, update your ticker there so that you have new URL, copy the URL, go back to edit signature and add in the ticker as if you were doing it the first time. Good luck!

ROBIN---Thanks so much for the ticker advise I finally got it up there and know I don't feel so naked! Can you let me know how to update it?

Happy2Bme--- on line #1 you say your 5 days post-op and on line#2 you say you've lost 5lbs.! GOOD LORD! thanks GREAT! give yourself some time, inside your body is still saying "what duh!?" from the surgery and having anastesia can be hard for weeks afterward, but you still managed to loose 5lbs in 5 days!! and believe me, if you go back and read some old post you'll see Iam the QUEEN of hungry-all-the-time.I truely understand.

I was so dissapointed with myself after the WHOLE bagel thing (get it, I ate the WHOLE thing! hahaha) that I went up to Wallmart and bought myself a strawberry Shortcake divided plate. Its very small and has 3 compartments-1 for protien-1 for veggies-1 for carbs. I have to STOP,SIT and SEE what I'm putting into my mouth rather than my horrible habit of grazzing, standing in my kitchen. My husband and kids think Im nuts, but I need to make changes, maybe this will help?