Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Supportive Primary Care Doctor

I asked my primary care doc about WLS surgery earlier this year and she told me not to do it. When I asked why she said that none of her patience have been successful with WLS and they have all gained their weight back. I talked to my GYN about it a month or so later and he is 100% for it. (I love him!) He has known me for 25 years and his opinion is that I will be very successful. (Did I mention how much I love him?) So fast forward to this past Monday when I saw my primary care doctor for recheck to continue my meds that I take only because I am MORBIDLY OBESE! She was so excited to see that I have lost almost 20 pounds. She went on to say that I will NEVER lose the 200 pounds I need to lose and that she will be glad if I can just get under 300!!! What an idiot! I found myself wanting to run out of there screaming but you know what? I can't wait to go back to her in 6 months - a year - 2 years -- just to torture her with how well I will be doing. No, I proably won't go to her for much longer but I do want her to educate her that surgery is an option that can save her patients lives. OK, I feel cleansed, thanks for letting me vent.

wow! Sorry she's like that! That's terrible!! My primary care wasn't all "gung-ho" about me doing it either, but she knows I've struggled with weight for the last 2 years I've been seeing her & when all my tests were cleared, she gave her "clearance" to my surgeon. I haven't been back to see her yet, but need to go in a few months. It'll be interesting to see what she says then. Her biggest thing w/ the sleeve is that it's not reversible! I thought that was funny b/c of all the issues with the bypass & also because no matter what I ended up doing I wouldn't have a plan to reverse it in the future anyway!

Good for you for not letting her completely get to you!! Keep up the good work!!

Sounds like you need to change your primary Doctor! I would suggest writing a letter to the hopsital board about her, she does need to be more informed about these procedures, they are saving peoples lives! My Doc was super supportive, I had my first appt one week after I asked her about it. Good luck to you!

This is unfortuantely common. As I tried unsuccessfully for years to get this surgery I dealt with my share of this. Your primary care Physician may have patients that have gained weight back. my sister had a RNY almost 10 years ago and has put weight back on. This is a truth about WLS it can and does happen. For a primary care physician to discourage you in my oppinion means she is not looking out for your best interest. All relevent scientific studies indicate that the improvments in your general health far out weigh the risks. I question her intellegence or her motives. The root of her bias be it ignorance or economics is really unpardonable and I would look for a new PCP.

I changed my Dr as she was not supportive of my surgery. I was having surgery in Mexico & just needed her to do bloodwork after, check my incisions to make sure they were healing, that is about it. She was totally unsupportive & very negative about the whole thing.

So I changed PCPs & now so much happier with my new Dr who is supportive!

I swear... Doctors kill me... My PCP was so supportive and agreed to do all of my follow-up (I self paid in Mexico) and I just ADORE her!! I would hightail it out of that office and start my search for a new Doctor!! You live in bigger city so maybe post on the boards for a referral for a new PCP in your area. Ask around and see which PCP other people in your area use.. WLS saves lives!! Shame on your Dr. for not believing that! I wouldn't giver her another dime of my money!

My PCP was also not 100% supportive she is still kind of leery of WLS. The funny thing is that she was recommended by the bariatric center because my original PCP was horrible. Most people who haven’t traveled down the road that we are on just can’t wrap their heads around how much we struggled and why we decided that we needed this type of support. Oh well, I suggest that if your PCP makes you feel defeated that you look of a new one. Put out a post to see if anyone has a recommendation on this site for you.

I agree with what alot of the other folks here have said. Find yourself a new PCP. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time trying to educate her, but I can understand your desire to do so. Perhaps a better approach would be to do as Kimmy suggests.....a letter to the hospital board.

My PCP and his entire staff has been extremely supportive, and it has made a tremendous difference in how I feel about the entire process. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you to have to deal with a non-supportive PCP on top of everything else. No wonder you needed to vent! :)

I find it hard to believe there are still PCP's that are like this. It's like they ignorant to the fact that this surgery has helped so many people. I'm glad you didn't leave. I look forward to your post in a year or two describing the time when you walk back into her office, showing your nice figure, not needing your meds anymore, and saying, "hmmmm....thanks for nothing." Good luck to you! :)

And your with them because ...

I dropped my PCP because he was clueless about WLS. It wasn't that he was non-supportive, but any question I asked him regarding nutrition or hormones, he would answer, "I don't know ... with your WLS, it changes everything ... I'm not a bariatric surgeon"

OK ... perhaps that is the issue with your PCP. They don't know anything about it and don't want to take the time to learn. Time to move on.

Yep, time to move on to a new PCP. No Doctor should tell you what your capable of, EVER!

God is the ultimate physican, and your Doc is not God! After you lose all the weight, stroll in and let her have a look-see, at what you and your God can do!

I agree a letter to her immediate supervisor and one straight on up the chain. While you are at it, include some of the information that is coming out about WLS, and directly inquire - in a way that in no misunderstanding that you expect a reply - ask what thier policy is on continuing education on WLS, which procedures, and what they can do for this doctor as it relates to the passive-aggresiveness she has shown your care...

I agree I'd find a new PCP. Mine is very supportive, and it makes all the difference.

My PCP is a wls patient... he didn't follow the rules (I'm a Dr. I know what I'm doing... ya ya ya) and ended up with a 5 month hospital stay right after the surgery... Since he has dropped weight like crazy and is so happy and healthy!!! He 100% supports me in my wls, but reminds me to follow the rules!!!!!

I would be so unhappy if my PCP isn't on board! Find someone new and let the WLS center, that refered you, that this person is not someone worthy of being on their list to pass on!!!!!

I thought I was unique in having a PCP who was not supportive of WLS! I am so sorry to read that so many have struggled with this. It took a lot of courage for me to make the initial appointment with my doctor whom I have been seeing for over 15 years. Her first reaction was "Join Jenny Craig and exercise." Hmmm, why hadn't I thought of that? Oh yeah! I DID! I joined Jenny Criag, Nutri-System, Weight Watchers x 3, took herbs, had acupuncture, hypnosis and a variety of other measures to lose the weight that I have carried since my pre-teen years. I broke down in tears in the office. I was so distraught over her lack of support. Then, one week later I received a letter indicating that I had been referred to a nutritionist and bariatric surgeon. The ball started to roll at that point, but I was still blindsided with her lack of support. I am 81 lbs down from when she saw me and can't wait to walk into her office and flaunt my new found confidence and image.