Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Females Who Are Actively Losing - What Is Your Calorie & Protein Intake?

This question was brought up on a Facebook forum and I thought I would repost here for more replies. Myself, and another woman think we are eating too few calories but both of us scared to eat more. Both of us have only lost 4-5 lbs in the past month.

So, please post here how much you are eating if you are ACTIVELY losing. Thanks very much!

Calories - 800-900

Protein - 50-60 grams

I agree, I am eating between 700 and 900 calories a day. I hit a stall this week as my body adjusts, but I was losing about a lb every 2-3 days before this. I wish I could get a few more calories in, but that is only going to happen if I eat stuff that is not good for me. I just can't fit anymore than that.

Not sure about the calorie intake but I am hitting the Protein intake at about 70 to 90 a day. I am losing about a 1 to 2 pounds a week. It really depends on how much I walk a day and if I included pool exercise class. What i finds that helps is the old weight watcher menus. Also the menu that are in alot of the diet books. Did you know that 3 oz of tuna has 25g of protien I looked for a list to see how much protien is in the things I eat. Check that out.

And as my Dr. said don't be surprise if you don't lose a pound a week it is normal just be pat.

I'm eating about 530 a day, rarely more than 600. I'm about 8 weeks out and that's mostly a capacity limitation. I eat frequenly, just not much.

I'm currently trying to break a stall and upping calories is one of the strategies. I was told to aim for anywhere between 700 - 900 since I'm fairly active, tall, and have a higher BMR.

This topic is whirling around in my head....I am speaking to my doctor and nutritionist on Monday to discuss increasing my calories because I seem to be losing very slowly at under 800 calories/70-80 grams of Protein a day. I think my body does not like being on such low calories. It's not that I can eat very much, but I think by adding some avocado or nuts as Snacks I can bring myself up to closer to 1000 and see if that helps kick it in gear.

I'm about 6 1/2 months out and I aim for 900-1000 calories a day and I get about 60-80 grams of Protein. I was losing really good and the last month it's slowed down a lot. Now I'm only losing about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week.

I am loosing 3-4lbs consistently.

My intake is as follows:

500-600 cal

30g carbs or less

20g fat or less

20g sugar or less

100+g Protein

88oz fluids

I am 6 weeks post op. not sure that it matters... But I am 5'6" and pretty active (I sweat a lot and need the water)

I tried upping my calories and didn't see a better loss or gain and my doc said to push it hard the first 3 months and stay low cause it will make the last 4 months easier. (he expects gal in 7 months)

I'm slightly over 9 months out, and losing 1-2 lbs/week with about 1200 calories/75g+ Protein. My carbs have gone up to the 65-80 range and my fat is generally below 50 per day (but sometimes a bit higher). I exercise but not religiously, and I'm very happy with the pace of my weight loss.

i don't really track my calories, i find it so time consuming, i think i get in 700-1000 cal/day but can't be sure, i am exactly 4 months out and down 50pounds, i have trouble eating and drinking period so i figure why bother keeping track of calories since i am sure i don't eat enough to gain in the first place.

i exercise daily and plan to start paying more attention as i try to get rid of this last 25 pounds.

I'm just about 2 months post op, I'm at 60g of Protein and my calories are about 800. My doctor told me at this point not to worry about calories, instead to focus on my protein.

Add me to the Facebook forum please

I don't track my calories either. I only take a few bites of something anyway, which makes it hard to calculate without actively measuring everything. I don't believe that I get in more than 1000 calories a day, and I do try to get in at least 60 grams of Protein, but I probably actually get in more Protein than that. I always try to eat protein first at every meal, and I don't snack much between meals.

My feeling is this: when you are stalled, you are probably losing inches as your body adjusts. This can be verified by using a measuring tape during the stalls. If your metabolism has slowed to match your intake, then you need to increase your metabolism with exercise. Certain supplements can also boost metabolism as well. My feeling is that, during a stall, increasing exercise, not calories, is the best thing you can do, but that is just how I want to manage my body and may not work well for others.

As for increasing calories by eating more, I wouldn't want to do that for me. I try to listen to my body and eat only when I am hungry. I do have whatever I want as long as it is a healthy food, and I don't worry about calories. For example, eating a half of an avocado with cottage cheese is a good healthy fat and is filling and delicious.

And so I say eat and enjoy healthy food with protein first and then things like salad and fruit. Watermelon is a delicious high Fiber food which has been given a bad rap as being high sugar in the past (Dr. Oz show). My advice is to start to eat today the way you will eat the rest of your life, and the weight will come off.

From the Dr. Oz show: "Watermelon’s red pulpy flesh contains the “mother of all antioxidants,” glutathione, which is known to help strengthen the immune system. It’s also high in Vitamins C and A. As if that weren’t enough to convince you to eat more of this superfruit, among fruits and vegetables, watermelon has the highest concentration of lycopene, the powerful antioxidant that helps fight heart disease and cancer."

I don't track my calories either for the same reason as everyone else, don't eat enough to even bother with it. I know I get at least 60gm of Protein from Protein powders and then any protein I eat is just extra. I'm over 7 mths out and still find the Protein Drink helpful (mix with crystal light) and helps me get enough fluids in also.

I did catch myself snacking on peanuts last week and that proved to slow my weight loss. I try for 1 lb loss per week but the closer I get to my goal the harder that is. Just try to eat healthly and not upset my picky tummy.

I am eating 700-900 calories a day post-op and losing 2-3 lbs a week. I was horribly fatigued when I was eating 80 grams of Protein each day so my doctor said to have 100 grams. It has helped and I have more energy, but I can't always get that much in. My daily goal is between 80-100 grams of Protein and less than 40 grams of carbs. I get my 64-80 oz. of daily fluids through Decaf tea (both hot and iced) and Protein shakes.

Prior to surgery, I was on a 1300 calorie/day high protein/low carb diet and lost 10 lbs a month (50 lbs down on my surgery date). I thought cutting my calorie count in half would double my weightloss, but this hasn't happened. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that a person loses more at the beginning and now that I am past the 1/2 way mark -- the weightloss has slowed. I have also lived in the "stall" phases two times in the last 10 weeks, but, it is still going in the right direction and inches are falling off like crazy.

I am one month out and have lost 8 pound pounds. 6 the first week, zero for weeks 2 and 3 and this week I lost 2. Not thrilled but at least I am losing again. I take in between 500-600 calories a day and between 65-70 grams of Protein.< /p>