Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who To Tell And Not Tell....

How long has it been since you've had the sleeve?

How much have you lost?

My surgery is scheduled for June 7' date=' 2012.[/quote']

I had my surgery 3/13. I have lost 39 pounds so far. Started at 260 and now 221. I started out trying to see how much I could lose without thinking about it. I am starting to goal set now. I want to lose 10 pounds by the time I go for my next follow up appointment 6/4/12. Best of luck to you on your journey!

I had my surgery 3/13. I have lost 39 pounds so far. Started at 260 and now 221. I started out trying to see how much I could lose without thinking about it. I am starting to goal set now. I want to lose 10 pounds by the time I go for my next follow up appointment 6/4/12. Best of luck to you on your journey!

That is AWESOME!

Good job!

Thanks for sharing your story. I have something wonderful to look forward to. I'm sure you'll make your goal and some.

oh no...hubby and i were just having a conversation about Albert Manzo from Real Housewives of NJ (yah...) who got the lap band. Hubby said, well cant the sleeve be removed? GRRRR i KNEW HE WAS NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!

My reply: "I'll explain it to you when i get out of recovery ". LOL

oh no...hubby and i were just having a conversation about Albert Manzo from Real Housewives of NJ (yah...) who got the lap band. Hubby said, well cant the sleeve be removed? GRRRR i KNEW HE WAS NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!

My reply: "I'll explain it to you when i get out of recovery ". LOL

LOL! Yup, I have had my hubby ask if the sleeve came off too :rolleyes:

I was not going to tell anyone, then I had my complication and my boss learned of my second surgery and seriousness. We spoke and he said people will ask you about your loss and what will you say? I became more and more proud of my success and learning I was doing the work, it has not been easy. My sleeve surgery is only a tool to me. Much like my scale, it assists me in my weight loss and gaining my life back.

So now, much like Lissa I now share as often as I can but ALWAYS preface with it is a personal decision.

Sandy

I currently have the lapband and planned on telling only a select few. I told one good friend at work who let it slip. I was upset because it started questions from food police. Now that I have gained some of my weight back, it makes it even more embarrassing. I don't plan to tell anyone but my husband this time around. If I have to say anything, it will be hernia repair (which is actually true). I don't want or need the snide remarks from the unsupportive people that I work with. My cousin has the sleeve and the family makes snide remarks about how thin and sickly she looks. Mind you, most of my family have BMIs WAY over 40. My husband knows, but HE doesn't get it. He thinks this is a device that can be removed like my lapband. Um, nope. I won't even explain it to him later...

I tried to get my husband to watch the surgery online with me. He would not....Guess I will explain it to him later too. All he knows is we will be going on a 10 day vacation to Costa Rica, surgery included. He'll never understand because he's never had a weight problem. That's why I like these forums! Awesome people that know what you are going through!

Wow i can't believe so many husbands dont understand Slevedom. I dont feel so bad now!!!

Both my mom and I work at a hospital that specializes in bariatric surgery, so this was a little hard cause of what we see on the other side. But I was in the car with her and told her strait foward- mom, I'm thinking of getting the sleeve. My weight is --- and I need help. She agreed and said how can I help- lets do this

Both my mom and I work at a hospital that specializes in bariatric surgery, so this was a little hard cause of what we see on the other side. But I was in the car with her and told her strait foward- mom, I'm thinking of getting the sleeve. My weight is --- and I need help. She agreed and said how can I help- lets do this

But my parents and my husband was ALL I told. I didn't tell work or friends or anything. I don't mind my decision, but I'm just not ready yet. The time will come though.

That's great! My parents have been really good, too - my dad told me how courageous I am, and that he understands all the good reasons for doing it, but still thinks it's a brave decision to do this for myself and my health. I'll take the compliment.

I told hubby, of course (even though i am not 100% that he heard me explain "sleeve"...he speaks about it like it's a larger type lap band! LOL). anyway, i told my brother and his wife, and of course my docs know, emailed the news to my bestie and disappointed to say i haven't gotten a response. Otherwise, right now i'm leaning towards not telling. I used to get so annoyed at celebs that obviously did WLS, but wouldn't fess up (visions of Star Jones "pilates and yogurt".. Or Aretha Franklin "a procedure ")...but now...i can kind of see why. First i dont want to tell about it over and over, second..it's not that i am trying to pass myself off as a sudden Dieter Extrodinaire! But for me it's kind of embarrasing that i just can't do it on my own. Will see how i feel after surgery.

The surgeons in my office call it the lap band without fills... B)