Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was wondering if anyone kept their surgery a secret from friends and family? Was it hard because people wondered how the weight was coming off so fast or did they wonder when you only eat such small amounts? I am usually a very open book, fertility to get pg even with my weight before. But I rather not tell most people. I don't want to hear their opionon or have them judge. Did some of you plan to keep it a secret and then ended p sharing because people suspected something? Thanks for your advice!

Only my husband and doctors know! I started a really intense workout and dieting routine before surgery and just told everyone I had ulcer/hernia repair.

I only told 5 people beforehand, and now people are on a "need to know" basis. We eat a LOT with other people at our church. If I'm going to someone's house for a meal, I have to bring my cream Soups or blenderized foods, so I do fill them in. For the most part though, I'm not broadcasting.

i too did not tell anyone but my wife. I was self pay in MX so I didn't even tell my doctor. I was tired of being fat and felt as though I would not make it another 6 months to a year waiting for insurance to clear me so I paid myself.

To be honest I feel as if I seem to be of little value to anyone unless they want something or insist on having an opinion of something I am doing or something about me. All my friends and family have little to do with me until then, and then they typically unload with both barrels. I hate it so I elected to keep it a secret till after it was done. I didn't even tell my closest co-worker or employer.

Most "let me have it" afterwards when I fessed up. But hey, IT'S NOT ABOUT THEM. It was MY decision and MY life I was destroying by being obese. I am now thinner, healthier and more muscular than anyone who "voiced their concern". It worked for me- no thanks to their (non) support.

Only told my husband and my best friens. Just thought it was nobody's busi ness really.It has worked well. Weight loss is down to a successful diet (my usual new year resolution) although some nasty minds at work keep reminding me that I had tried that many times in the past and usually put all the weight back by September :)

i have only told 3 friends, just because i had to tell someone, lol. my hubby of course knows, i am not telling anyone else, i do not want any negative feed back, nor do i want to hear oh u have lost before then gained it back, once i have the surgery and the skinny me comes out if anyone asks all i am going to say is lifestyle change, try it.

i just told my mom, my best friend, and a close friend whom we had already plan to get surgery together. i did not want to tell my dad because he says no to everything, always listens to the media and his missed informed friends.. But when he found out, since i was in a out of the hospital, plus my night stay at the hospital for sleep study test, he knew something was up, when i finally told him he snapped n started offending me, and saying that i will not have the surgery lol.. i told him i am an adult now (22) and dont need them to sign a consent form for anything!.. i felt bad putting him in his place, but what the heck its my time to live now! and i am thinking about a successful future.. how am i going to be an obese nurse? or doctor?.. so there u go, also people at my job are very judgmental so i will keep it a secret from them.

I told my close family and friends about it, and interestingly every one I told either had a friend or family member who had a weight loss surgery or was thinking of getting it. It helped a lot to get info, cause there is not a lot online about getting surgery here in Kuwait. That said after my awesome first week, I decided everyone should know, so I posted it on Facebook, and let whoever want to judge, judge!

My body, my decision!

I have only told my immed family and my best friend. I'm trying to think of what to tell my job as to the reason I will be out. I think im just gonna say I'm having surgery but won't tell them exactly what type. It's not their biz and I think it's against the law for them to ask.

Only my husband, daughters and a select few friends know. The reason, I don't want to feel like I am under the microscope! Some people would sit back and say, "My, she looks horrible" or "I don't see her loosing at all" and the like! My life is an open book and I have always been the "tell all" kind of person, but not this time. I tell you it's the hardest thing I have ever done. My biggest surprise was when I told my mother in law. My God she is the greatest cook! and deserts! WOW I started out by saying I need to tell you something and I need your support. I don't have much family and I need you to support me. I explained the surgery. She knows I have battled my weight for the past 10 years. She thought I wouldn't be able to eat anymore! I said, "just in smaller amounts" and believe it or not yesterday she told me to take care of myself. It blew me away because we have had some stormy days in our relationship...

:( and today I get a get well card in the mail from her! Totally blew me away! God is Great!!! Blessings~Melanie:)

I have no idea how you guys keep from telling people!

I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Before my surgery, and even for a couple months after all I wanted to talk about was my weight and my surgery. I realized myself that I was talking way too much about it, and I made changes. I rarely mention it now, but I think about it so much. I'm not sure I could keep it a secret even if I tried. LOL.

I only told my immediate family: mom and two older brothers, since I live with them and knew they'd be a great support system. As for the excuse for losing weight I'll tell to my other family and friends, I plan on telling them that I'm seeing a nutritionist and started a work out regime-- it's all true.. I just don't find it necessary for everyone to know. My biggest fear is my brothers slipping.. I told them I'd disown them if they did! Hehe

My mother, husband, and 2 friends. I was diagnosed with GERD so everyone knows I'm going to surgery for that. I'm using sick leave for work. The funny thing is one friend confessed to me that she has the band for about two years...lol

I have no idea how you guys keep from telling people!

I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Before my surgery' date=' and even for a couple months after all I wanted to talk about was my weight and my surgery. I realized myself that I was talking way too much about it, and I made changes. I rarely mention it now, but I think about it so much. I'm not sure I could keep it a secret even if I tried. LOL.[/quote']

I have been so excited since I was approved that I have just about shouted it from the roof tops. All my coworkers know and I get mixed feedback. Some are ok, others think I am not big enough for surgery.