Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

i am now gettiing my surgery june 4 by dr garcia in tijuanna. i was going with dr almanza but decided to ho with dr garcia die to jis surheries r in an actual hospital. I am a RN amd i jusy feel more comfy with that

i had bad typos . im not hoing to mexico, lol, I

meant going. n the surgeries r done in a hospital is what i meant. sorry

i had bad typos. im not hoing in

mexico, ieant going. and i was trying to say that i was more. comfortable with having surgery in a hospital

@ Kiki planning on being sleeved in Late April/Early May pending insurance approval

Anybody post op that wears a relaxer. Did you relax your hair before surgery? And did you keep relaxing after?

Edited by danithediva

Anyone else worried about loosing too much weight and not meeting the standards of what our husbands' date=' boyfriends and other black men think is attractive?

I'll be honest, I am.

I wonder what will happen to my boobies. I currently wear a 36 F and am worried about how they'll look afterward. I probably will ask for a breast reduction.

Also I'm an apple shape so I'm worried that I'll just be a smaller, loose skinned version of my bigger self.

Crazy right?[/quote']

That has been my biggest fear. What am I gonna look like. I don't have a BA Donk a Donk so I can't loose too much in that area!

Hello everyone! It's nice to have found this forum!

Congrats to all the new and future sleevers.

I had my sleeve 3-6-12. I'm doing well just finding it hard to get in my Water and Protein requirements

My scars are starting to keloid. I knew this may happen as I'm prone to keloids but is there anything you ladies could recommend that will help reduce the scarring? I was told to use cocoa butter, mederma, and massage it to try and smooth it down.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hello ladies! I am sooo happy to have found this thread this morning! I am AA, 38 years old, and I live in Little Rock, Arkansas. I was sleeved 2/20/12, so I'm finishing up my 3rd week post-op. I've lost 33 lbs so far and have been stalled since last week. I know from reading posts that stalls are typical around this time frame. And my surgeon prepared me for this. I'm just now up to 32oz a day on my Water and I'm still struggling with the Protein (yuck)! Today, I'm going to Sam's to try out their Premier Protein shakes, & I'm gonna drop into GNC & try an Isopure shake. I'm also going to order an Unjury trial kit. Ive invested my health in this sleeve and I'm determined to do whatever I have to! Success is my only option! Lol! I had my hair in tree braids during surgery, I've been natural for 6 years & I alternate between braids & sew-ins. I took my tree braids out a few days ago and the shedding was my normal amount. I have a strained lumbar muscle right now, so I'm unable to sit for a hairstyle, so I'm going to do a short, spiral quick weave myself. I have a big Afro that is very thick, so I'm hoping to not lose hair. I'm working really hard on my protein. I look forward to hearing from all of you. I don't have any issues as far as losing my big body-I was in a Bcup in 4th grade & now I wear a 42 F and after 4 pregnancies & 3 kids, they've been sagging since I was 24! No loss! I want the boobs reduced & lifted to a small C cup after I reach my goal. I also have no love for my big butt, which I believe I was born with! I'm sick & tired of lugging around all these big body parts, I want to be slim, toned & fit! I care absolutely nothing for the man who wanted me to stay "big-boned". I asked him was he going to stay by me if I suffered from the many health related issues that obesity put me at risk for?? Suffice it to say, I'm single now and this journey is all about Me! it's my turn to take control of my health or I won't be here for my children or loved ones!

Terrilynn,

Welcome. I'm due to have my sleeve June 4 by dr Garcia n I can't wait . I say to the man that said that to you, forget hom. Enjoy yur life n live it to the fullest . Congrats on yur weight loss.

Hello All, I didn't see this thread before today, I'm glad I found it. For some reason, I haven't been able to join the AA Sleevers forum, it won't let me post any comments there. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't figured out what it is yet.

Hi shoelover,

Just wanted to say welcome. N cud u tell me about your experience with dr Garcia? How much did you lose and what is your goal weight? I am going on June 4 and am very excited to start this journey with so much support from this site.

I was sleeved Feb. 23rd (almost 4 weeks post-op) and the only problem I'm having is getting enough fluids in. I have lost 22 pounds so far. Pretty good. I am so happy I stumbled on this forum. I love being able to talk to my African American sleevers. No Hair loss yet but just really dry skin but I'm chalking that up to being dehydrated.

Hi shoelover,

Just wanted to say welcome. N cud u tell me about your experience with dr Garcia? How much did you lose and what is your goal weight? I am going on June 4 and am very excited to start this journey with so much support from this site.

Hello, I keep my tracker on my signature current, so the numbers there are accurate to date. Dr. Garcia is great, all of his patients love him. My surgery went extremely well, I hardly felt like I'd had anything done. When I woke up from the anesthesia, I kept asking if they really operated on me. I felt it later, but it was nothing like I thought it would be.

Hey ladies, and gents, can any ladies that started near my stats give me your stats? I'm 5'6 currently 280, hoping to be 260 by surgery (July.) So anyone from 260-280 can you tell me how much you have lost, your goal size, your current size and how many months out you are. If you have before an after photos that would be nice too. Also can you tell me about your excess skin? Thanks.

Hello Ladies,

I am soooo glad to have found this group! I am currently waiting for the nurse to call with my date and then I will be ready. I wanted to know how AA adapt to the sleeve and what we do to help with the sagging skin, which exercise works and doesnt work, etc...

Have a great one and you all LOOK DAMN GOOD!

OH yes please feel free to friend me!