Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Congrats on you and your sis approval!

I got my e-mail from the Davis Clinic today. My insurance approved me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I meet with the nutritionist tomorrow and the psych eval is on Friday. I can't wait!!!!!! I'm nervous and excited and ready to start my new journey. As soon as I get my surgery date I'll let you know. Keep me and my bestie/sister in your prayers -- we're taking/doing this journey together!! :D

Welcome to the group. We are happy to have you here.

New here and really glad I found this forum... 31 yo AA woman... Married with 2 very energetic boys 4 yo and 7 months I'm in the Augusta Ga area... Not sleeved just yet... Hoping to schedule sometime this summer, with dr Kelly in tijuanna Mexico... Like many of you researched lap band and decided to have the sleeve instead...

I also have concerns about AA surgical scaring, hair loss, breast size, and body shape issues post op...

Any how congrats ladies on your journey...lots of you are losing very encouraging numbers... :)

I GOT MY DATE!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my date and so did my Bestie/Sister!!! Yep we are doing this together, she goes in first then it's my turn!!! Same surgeon, same time, same date, same hospital, same hospital room hopefully!!! Can you tell I love her to bits and pieces??? I could not imagine doing this with anyone else. My surgery date is Friday, May 13 and I've already started marking the days off on my calendar. I'm off now to change my signature and put my new information in!! Thanks to all you lovely sleevers who have given me such good words of encouragement!!! Save a seat for both of us on the looser's bench!!!:D

I LOVE your hair in your avatar. I am natural but since surgery I have been keeping my hair in tree braids since surgery. I just found out that Target carries CURLS, so I am looking forward to trying more in the summer.

Oh yeah... CONGRATS on approval!

I got my e-mail from the Davis Clinic today. My insurance approved me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I meet with the nutritionist tomorrow and the psych eval is on Friday. I can't wait!!!!!! I'm nervous and excited and ready to start my new journey. As soon as I get my surgery date I'll let you know. Keep me and my bestie/sister in your prayers -- we're taking/doing this journey together!! :D

Yaaaaayyyyyy!! Congratulations to you and your sister. What a fantastic experience for you two to be going through this together.

:D

I GOT MY DATE!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my date and so did my Bestie/Sister!!! Yep we are doing this together, she goes in first then it's my turn!!! Same surgeon, same time, same date, same hospital, same hospital room hopefully!!! Can you tell I love her to bits and pieces??? I could not imagine doing this with anyone else. My surgery date is Friday, May 13 and I've already started marking the days off on my calendar. I'm off now to change my signature and put my new information in!! Thanks to all you lovely sleevers who have given me such good words of encouragement!!! Save a seat for both of us on the looser's bench!!!:D

I LOVE your hair in your avatar. I am natural but since surgery I have been keeping my hair in tree braids since surgery. I just found out that Target carries CURLS, so I am looking forward to trying more in the summer.

Oh yeah... CONGRATS on approval!

Thanks for the compliment Lady!!! Yep I'm loving my natural hair. I've been natural since 2/2011. I saw that CURLS in my Target but I didn't know anyone who had used it. I might give it a try. I saw that Target has KCCC line and Ms. Jessie's line. I was impressed!! Since you've been sleeved have you lost any hair??? Take care!

Took me a while to post again but YAAAAAY I got my surgery date! Me and my sister (bestie...road dawg...confidant) are scheduled....yes for the same day with me going first and she is right after me. Yes Ladies 2Sweet is my sister....what-up 2Sweet! I am so excited cause Ladies...I KNOW this is going to be really helpful for us in this fight for good health. And I would not want to do this without her...she's my girl.

God is GOOD! Somebody hold my mule while I shout! :lol:

Took me a while to post again but YAAAAAY I got my surgery date! Me and my sister (bestie...road dawg...confidant) are scheduled....yes for the same day with me going first and she is right after me. Yes Ladies 2Sweet is my sister....what-up 2Sweet! I am so excited cause Ladies...I KNOW this is going to be really helpful for us in this fight for good health. And I would not want to do this without her...she's my girl.

God is GOOD! Somebody hold my mule while I shout! :lol:

Yep this is my Bestie I told ya'll about on Friday!!! Girl I'll hold your mule!!!

Remember to save us a seat on the looser's bench!!!

Hello Ladies. I've read your posts about going natural and I'm very curious. My hair is currently braided and I haven't had a perm in about four months. Without the braids my hair is shoulder length but I have no problems cutting it short. I need some guidance. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. :mellow:

Hello Ladies. I've read your posts about going natural and I'm very curious. My hair is currently braided and I haven't had a perm in about four months. Without the braids my hair is shoulder length but I have no problems cutting it short. I need some guidance. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. :mellow:

Im natural and locked. I started with a buzz cut last May and it was my third time going natural. The first two times did not last because mentally I was not ready to accept my hair the way it was. Now I'm loving my hair and my locs! What kind of guidance are you looking for?

If you want to email me, I'll be happy to talk to you about going natural :)

Congrats to the ladies who got their dates!!!!

I cannot wait for my time

I've been natural for almost a year. I still have about 2 inches of relaxed hair on top. I wear my hair in wash and go style - usually with some cute headband. I tend to get about an inch cut off at a time so it's been the same length for awhile. I couldn't bring myself to cut it all off at once.

@sleeve me plz: I found alot of my information on www.longhaircareforum.com. [You don't have to join you can LURK" until you make a decision, just can't post until you join!] Those ladies on there are AWESOME!!! I grew my hair out for 6 months, I could not take it any more!!! I recruited Ladyvelvet [my Sister] to come over and give me my big chop!!! Honey was she reluctant!!! Anywho . . . long story short I have never regretted a single moment of being natural. If your hair is shoulder length then it will not be a big adjustment for you!! You will be surprised at how strong your natural hair is cause I know I was!! Good luck on your healthy hair journey!!:D

BTW: you can look at my fotki to see my hair progression: http://public.fotki.com/2sweetnsugarland/

Hello everyone : ) I was sleeved on march 9 and has lost 42 lbs so far

@jessicaamere: That is AWESOME!!! You should be really proud of yourself. Don't forget to take pictures so that you can "really" see how far you've come!!! Keep us posted!