Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

I just wanted to tell you I know exactly how you are feeling. Although I didn't get insurance approval, when I called to tell the doctor I was going to be self-pay and wanted a date as soon as possible and was told they could take me in four days, I nearly freaked! We research, we think, we ponder, we talk to family and friends, we jump through hoops, we get tests done, we go to seminars, we read hundreds of postings but it isn't really real until they say, "we can do it on Friday"!!!

Tomorrow is my "Friday". I have no doubts or serious fears, but I am bouncing off the walls with excitement. I'm almost 60 years old and I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I love these Junebie postings. Everyday I think about those of you who are getting banded today and look forward to updates from those of you who had your surgeries in the last few days.

I wish you all well and hope you will be sending me positive vibes tomorrow.

Hello all,

I was banded 2 days ago. Just a little sore and have some shoulder/neck pain. Still feeling a little groggy from all the drugs. Now I'm on Advil gel caps which are helping. I feel like I really flew through this well. liquid time!

As far as liquids go my surgeon wants me to have liquids for 24-48hours then soft diet for 4 weeks. i am now on the soft diet, although I would call it more full liquids. I have had mashed potatoes, that were more like potato Soup.< /p>

Today I feel like I have alot of air in my pouch and it make drinking anything uncomfortable. I think I am also weak from not eatting much. Hopefully I will start to feel better in the next couple of days.

would love to hear from those that were banded on 6/2 and know when there energy level started to increase.

Hi Janelle,

I didn't ask about the eating before the surgery. I had wondered about it, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk of having any problems. After all, you have done the pre-op diet this long. Why risk it? I brought pajamas, robe, lip balm, tylenol to Mexico but forgot to bring it with me to the Dr's office. I really didn't miss them. When I arrived at the Dr's office the 2nd day for the surgery, I was among the first to go in. They took me to a room and had me change into the robe. I also had to wear these white type tight stockings. They gave me a couple of shots and then hooked up an IV. Shortly after that, the anesthesiologist asked me to follow him to the operating room. I don't remember anything after that except being back in my room in bed. Dr. Ortiz was talking to me and my husband. I can only recall Dr. Ortiz's face vaguely. I don't remember actually talking to him. My husband says I did. Everyone at Dr. Ortiz's office was wonderful. The facility on the inside is very nice and clean. All in all it was a better experience that I thought it would be. :) We will see how the future goes. Good luck to you on your surgery with Dr. Ortiz!:gluck:

Reeneea

I was banded on 6/2. I am on full fluids with a spoon of cottage cheese. I am drinking Optifast and cream Soups strained. I have only managed about 1 full Optifast and 1/2 cup of Soup, with 1 tsp of cottage cheese at lunch and dinner - that translates to 200-300 cals per day. I am trying but that is my limit.

My energy level has been quite low - understandably - today is slightly better - but then my chest and back pain are also better today.

I had some coffee this am and I am just now sipping on my first 1/2 pk of optifast. I have been out all morning - mostly the car and errands - a little grocery shopping.

Have not taken any pain meds in 2 days.

I do see and feel improvement every single day. I am stronger and lighter in both body and spirit!

Hang in there!

Thanks Dawn! I am glad to hear you are doing well. It will be fun to follow our weight loss journey together...although you will be ahead of me...I will have to play catch up. Thanks for mentioning lip balm. I remember how dry my lips were after I had my tubes tied...yuck! :cry

I am looking for liquid Advil to take along. Does anyone know if there is such a thing? I am leary of Tylenol cause I heard of a lady locally here who was in the hospital due to Tylenol overdose. I guess she took it for pain and it was in another medication also.

Hello Everyone!

Look at our surgery date list GROWING :banana :bounce: :banana :bounce: :banana

My apologies, I do not have time to reply to everyone individually. I do want to say congrats to those that have had their procedures. And I am so grateful no complications reported :) ---that makes me jump for joy!!

I'm like Mary Ann ---somewhat nervous about having my procedure, but no more doubts. Positive thinking --we all will succeed :clap2: .

Barbara --give me a wave as they wheel me out and you in on Friday .

Keep us all posted on how your procedures are going.

Best wishes to all--

Melissa Lea:hippie:

Yep add me to the nervous but ready to go group. Since I've never had surgery I'm nervous......eeep

And I'm going through this alone, my sig other took a powder last week, so I'm going in alone and waking up alone.

I'm thinking the good part of all of that is that I don't have to cook for anyone while I'm healing, and won't be tempted to eat things I shouldn't as I'm not going to have them in the house anymore.

I will succeed, I'm just grateful to have this great group of bandsters and bandsters to be to come to for support :peace:

Just a quick update. I was changing doctors because UHC and Dr. Spiegel were parting ways. I was quoted $4,800 for doctor and $2,900 for surgicenter. I was changing to another doctor and thought i had everything straight. Called to cancel with Dr. Spiegel and they were shocked. Bottom line: They quoted me $2,800 out of pocket. Period. They will also do my fills and adjustments for rest of year with no out of pocket to me. They also will do the surgery on the 13th. They have taken care of everything and assure me the insurance is now in order. They said UHC called them and wanted to know why I was changing surgeons because I was going to have to go through the approval process again.

Needless to say my nerves are shot, but the surgery is on. I am very tired after all this drama this morning. Going for my pre op tests in the morning and reporting to the surgicenter at 6:00 am on Tuesday.

Glad to hear all of the early junebies are doing well. Some of you need to try and get the calories up. Once that happens your energy should return. Keep moving around so the gas doesn't settle and sip, sip, sip.

Wow, only two weeks until my surgery (on the 22nd) I am getting more excited, than worried. I'm leaving on Saturday for a vacation which I hope will take my mind off my anxiety... when I come back I will be only 3 days away!

Best wishes to all my fellow bandsters...

Looking forward to moving to the "Losing" team.:think

Darrin

San Diego, CA

Hi everyone!

Please sign me up for June, my date is the 19th :)

I have been working toward this since March.

I had my nutrition consult, psych consult, support group meeting, pulmonary consult, cardio consult (discovered a murmur, but still OK for banding) and blood tests.

I will have my endoscopy tomorrow, I do not need to do any wierd drinks though, just not eat or drink for 6 hours.

I will have an abdominal ultrasound on Sunday, hospital preadmission testing, band doc meeting, and support group on Tuesday.

Then get final clearance from my primary care physician on Thursday.

Doesn't that sound like ALOT?? Sheesh! :straight

I will try to do low carb this week, then really low carb (fat flush plan) 1 week prior.

I was denied once, then appeal and was quickly approved.

I am sooooo ready!

Congratulations to all of you already banded! Good Luck to those of us coming up soon!

just wanted to wish those having their surgeries tomorrow good luck and i'll say a prayer for you. melissa and barbara, you are in good hands. dr spivak is the best!!!

cutiern:gluck:

Hi everyone, Well it's now been 7 days since surgery and I feel pretty good. I'm still having alot of gas. It's weird when I swallow liquids sometimes air has to escape my stomach before it can go down, and I'm burping alot. Anybody else feeling this? Lastnight I ate about a cup of broccoli & cheese Soup and 4 bites of cottage cheese and had alot of pain in my chest afterwards. I washed everything down good with Water. Reeneea and Cindy I was told by my doctor that the 1st mon. was about healing and you don't want your pouch to feel up at this time and put any pressure on the stitches. I was wondering what others were told? Good luck to those having surgery this week. LOL, Sissi

sissi,

i have the same doc as reeneea and we were told the first 24-48 hours is liquids. then for 4 weeks it's soft foods incorporated in with full liquids:

POST-OP DIET INSTRUCTIONS

The post-op diet is divided into 3 stages to allow a gradual adjustment.

STAGE 1: liquid diet for 24-48 hours

STAGE 2: Soft diet for 4 weeks

STAGE 3: Regular diet of 3 meals per day

STAGE 1 (FIRST FEW DAYS POST-OP)

Liquids from the list below. Remember small amounts (4-6 ounces) at a time.

• GO SLOW
  • WHEN YOU FEEL FULL STOP
  • NO CARBONATED drinks

LIQUID DIET

Coffee, tea, diluted fruit juice

Broth

Blenderized soup

Skim milk or Lactaid milk

Jell-O, Popsicle’s

Yogurt

Sugar Fee pudding

Cottage Cheese

Applesauce, oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat

V-8 low sodium

Protein drinks, carnation instant Breakfast, pure pro powder (no slim fast)

STAGE 2 (SOFT DIET FOR 4 WEEKS)

Soft foods from the list below can now be added.

You may drink Fluid anytime before you eat. However, no liquids with or after meals (wait 30 mins for the pouch to empty before drinking).

CHEW WELL! The food must be almost liquified before swallowing.

SOFT DIET

Soft fruit (banana, melon)

Cooked vegetables and fish

Eggs

Anything with the consistency of baby food

STAGE 3 (after the 4 weeks, REGULAR DIET OF 3 MEALS PER DAY)

Gradually add regular foods and remember:

• Eat only at set meal times
  • NO LIQUIDS with meals or for 30 mins afterwards
  • Avoid cheap calories
      • Fats
      • High caloric liquid
      • Sweets, ice cream, junk food, Cookies, chips.

Liquids, junk food and sweets do not relieve hunger. Only solid food, which fills the pouch and empties slowly will relieve hunger.

i had my surgery on monday and i have to say i'm feeling alittle better. i'm burping alot too. i just finished eating 6 oz of mashed(more like smashed) potatoes thinned quite a bit with chxn broth.

cutiern:biggrin1: