Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

cutiern, I have the gas first thing in the morning, it makes it difficult to drink for an hour or two, then it seems to pass. Iam kinda drained today after going to my kids swim meet yesterday and taking my daughter immediately after that to a birthday party (one that didn't seem to have an end time). After 2 1/2 hours I just said we needed to go. My port site hurts and so does the one under my sternum and they all itch.

Barbara, I was dizzy he first 3 days after surgery, although not as much as you. I think I just had such little to eat. It seemed to be the 5th day that I noticed a pretty good improvement and didn't take a nap or lay down during the day.

Does anyone with Spivak know when they said we could take off the steri strips? Mine have not fallen off, but are really bugging me.

cutiern- Guess I have been really lucky... have had no gas pains since my surgery. On the other threads it says to take gas-x. Do those help you?

Reeneea- I took off my steri-strips because I wanted to see what could be causing the pain in my port site. Was really worried it was infected, but it looks ok. I just put some antibiotic on it and covered it back up with a band-aid. Mine had blood on them and were making me itch. I have red whelps where they were... think they might have latex in them too. My latex-free band-aids are doing a wonderful job!

Barbara- I have not been dizzy, but sounds like you may need some sugar. A regular popscicle may help when you feel like this.

Great "cheat for all"- I made mock tortilla Soup for lunch. One can of diced tomatoes (with onions), chicken broth, and cilantro. Popped it in the blender and then simmered it for a bit. It was WONDERFUL. I even had a sample of the unflavored Protein Powder that I stirred in.

Oh, shaved ice and mock soup... I am in heaven now!!!

***Decided we all needed our own colors for our names. Hope you like the ones I chose for you!

you're lucky to have had no gas pains poodles. gas-x does not work for me, but walking does. i had a Protein Shake this morning (2 scoops low-carb Isopure dutch chocolate-6 oz skim milk-1 TBSP of peanut butter-1/2 c of ice) that had a total of 60 gm of Protein. it tastes like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup.i feel alot better. i have more energy.

cutiern:biggrin1:

:clap2: I'm a Junebie too! Surgery was June 9. I was banded early am. Surgery went well, but I regreted the decision until around 3:00 pm that day. I couldn't get comfortable sitting or laying down--so I walked. All the walking must have helped with gas pain. I'm a little sore--sitting in church this morning was impossible, so I stood in the back. I feel lucky to have the love and support of family and friends. This website has been invaluable.

I'd like to quote Photonut--a fellow chatter--:) EACH DAY GETS A LITTLE EASIER :D . Thanks to all of you who take the time to support and a special Thank You to Photonut.

Pinkylee

Dr. Felix Spiegel - 6/9/06

244.5/238.8/159

Hi all Junebees!!!! My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on June 28th.:clap2:

I am getting excited and nervous.:phanvan Luckily, this is a very busy time of year for me with my son getting out of school for the summer and his end of year events. I really haven't had that much time to think about it until now. I plan to start a pre op diet of shakes for Breakfast and lunch and salad for dinner in a few days. I want to try to stick to it for two weeks to give my liver the best chance, but we'll see how that goes.:)

I really appreciate all the posts about other junebee's experiences so far. It helps ease my nerves.:rolleyes

Hope to chat with you all soon.:kiss2:

Brand new here. I've been lurking for a few days and just joined today. I get banded on June 14th by Dr. Cobourn in Ontario. Can't wait! Okay, question, what -exactly- are people referring to when they are talking about PB and slimming? I have a general idea by the context. June 14th is my birthday too, can't think of a better present (even though I'm self-pay).

XO

Leila

I'm home! :clap2: I had my surgery on Wed, Jun 7 at 730a at Vista Surgical Hospital in Baton Rouge LA with Dr. Bellanger. Things went well - the last thought I had before surgery was in the room when they told me I could pray (I had requested that they allow me to do that before they knocked me out) and the next think I remember was in my room! I slept through recovery, step down, everything!:faint:

I had some pretty vicious nausea but after they found some phenergan, I was much much better. I had to do a post op xray and I didn't think I was going to be able to make it until they gave me that. I was trying to look up at the ceiling, putting the a/c on 60, fanning myself, ice chips, ANYTHING not to puke! :D

I spent the last few days at my mom and dad's house to get some help with my 4 yo daughter, and we just came home...

So far, the diet has been not hard at all. I"m on Clear Liquids for 10 days (a lot different than what you guys are doing?) because Dr. B said the healing time is extremely important. I haven't had any problems with gas either, so don't know if that's related?

The one thing I am having problems with though is pain at the port site. :Cry: I have to tell you, I'm a pain crusader, I did a 26 1/2 labor natural, so I'm not really a 'wimp'. But I'm hurting here quite a bit. I LOVE my ice pack.

I am returning to work tomorrow which I'm a little nervous about because I don't know about sitting behind a desk all day! I'll bring an ice pack incognito-like :D and hope and pray for a smooth day.

Good luck to up and coming June Bandits! Thanks to all for prayers and well wishes.:)

Pinkylee, I had trouble with church this morning also, those seats just weren't comfortable. I felt like my stomache was up in my chest.

Housecatgirl, I know how busy the end of the school year is, I had my band one week after school ended here and I think that helped keep my mind off it.

cutiern, what else are you eatting? Where did you get the Isopure? Are you taking anything for gas? gas-x?

Leila, what a great birthday present for yourself. I have not PB'd or slimed, so i can only tell you what I assume it means

PB'd---productive burp----I think this is throw the food back up

slime-----it sounds like alot of mucus production when food is stuck

Hope this helps, or eventhat I am correct.

warmmorningsum----my port site is uncomfortable but really only when I do something-----sittig up posting seems to be uncomforable. I feel better leaning back in the chair. It does though feel better each day.

Good Afternoon!!!! I had a really great day....finally got out of the house for the better part of the day....My family and I went to church and then we went eat lunch with some friends at a seafood restaurant......that was pretty difficult.....but i sorta cheated a bit.....i had a piece of baked fish and some red beans.....it was the BEST baked fish and red Beans i have ever eaten in my life.....it all went down pretty well. I figured i wanst doing to much harm since tomorrow i will be able to eat veggies and beans. I just cant wait until i have proper restriction and know that 4 to 6 ounces will do me in.

****GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE BANDSTERS OF THIS COMING WEEK....YOUR IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS****

Hi Everyone,

I'm being banded on June 19th. I started my pre-op diet last friday and its been tough. Especially since I had to attend a cook-out yesterday. I'm hoping the next week will past by quickly. My doc wants you to say on liquids for another 2 weeks after followed by 2 weeks of mushies!! Its going to be be tough, but I am going to do what it takes!

Cindy,

Just a little worried about you. Are you really allowed to eat Beans so early. Most are on clear liquids for a week, then thicker liquids. Mushies after that. I know you are allowed to do what your doctor says, but it just seems very soon to be trying so much. Sorry if this sounds like preaching. I'm just worried that you are pushing too much too soon.

Glad everyone is still doing well. I start clear liquids tomorrow. Only 1 da of it and then surgery. My doc has me on clear 1 week, then 2 weeks of Protein Drinks and 4th week begins food. At that time he wants all the Protein drinks with calories stopped.

Keep up the good recovery and be kind to yourselves. Be careful returning to work and sip, sip, sip.

Hey June Bandits!

Congratulations to you all who have (or will have) the surgery. I was banded on 4/6/06 with Dr. Ortiz and just went for my first fill on Wednesday. I am so glad I did it! I wish you all the best. The gas pains will go away. They are definitely a booger - I vividly remember that. I used GAS-X strips. They kick in right away and cause the pain to subside quickly. I think a lot of people think the gas is burping and farting gas. It's gas used to inflate your stomach during the surgery. It is painful when your body is expelling it afterward. I was really nervous about that. I didn't anticipate I would be fun to be around for a while!!! LOL. but it's not gas like we think. If I can answer any questions for anyone, please feel free to hit me up! Dr. Ortiz's staff is soooo AWESOME! I love them all. I wish I could make him my primary care physician. Of course, traveling to TJ from Atlanta because I have a headache would be a bit much!!! Let me know if I can help!

God Bless,

Lynn

Hello everyone --

My apologies for not updated the surgery list as of yet. My eye pupils are still dialated from the anthesthia and I can barely see what I'm typing now.

I want those who are having procdedures this week, you are not forgotten. I will update the list as soon as I can read what you all have posted.

Best wishes to you all this week. You will love the banded side.

Melissa Lea

Helllllllllllllllo Fellow Bandsters!

I am soo excited to be one of you. I have been lurking for a couple weeks learning, reading and waiting for my date. I just returned home yesterday and already feel such a sence of hope and joy... yes, I know it is early but I have felt so helpless and out of control for so long!:)

I went to work for a half day today and sipped my Water, broth and tea. I feel 100% better from yesterday (travel day) that was rough.

I hate to admit this.... I need to practice using this site, having a hard time figuring out the system (blonde) I want a nifty gragh like most of you & as of yet can't figure out how to get one:mad:

Good luck to all of you!!!!! Gladdy

Lynn,

Thanks for your post. I am going to be banded on June 22nd by Dr. Ortiz and every positive post helps! I'm not really scared, just anxious to have it done! I'm already starting to pack!!! I will be driving so the return trip will be 2 days in a car. I hope I can do it! The gas pains do have me worried. I have lost 10 pounds and will do the full liquid diet for 7 days. I don't know if that helps any with the gas or not. Maybe it just has to do with how well your body gets rid of it and how much exercise you get... Any ideas? Anything I should do while in Tijuana? or any where I should stay away from? Any help is wonderful.

Gongrats on your weight loss!!!