Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

I was supposed to be on a low carb diet prior to surgery but I kept waiting for a scheduled date to start the diet. Then I got a chance to take a cancellation date that was only four days away. No time for any real dieting. So far post-op (24 hours ago) I am having absolutely no problems. So I'm thinking the pre-op diet is not all that important. I wouldn't begin to recommend that you ignore your doctor's orders but I can only say that I had surgery with no pre-op and I'm ok.

hi zexxah!,

i had the same dr as barbara. i rec'd my surgery date on May 8th and this is when i was told to start a low-carb diet. i tried my best to stay on it, but it wasn't happening. my surgery was uneventful. i did gave gas pains which radiated to my left shoulder the day of, but since then i just feel it in my stomach...more so in the morning...but, it's bearable. i just work on thur-fri-sat, so i just took off this weekend. i'll be going back to work next thursday. my stomach muscles are sore, but i should be ok.

cutiern:biggrin1:

Hey guys/gals: I have a question. I am 6 days post op, and my port incision is still killing me. I visited the scar stages thread and see that I am not as bad as others at my stage, but was wondering if any of you have a pulling/stabbing pain if you roll over onto your left side... or when you cough??

That is the only incision that really hurts... and boy does it hurt... am I normal???

poodles you read my mind!!!

i too am having the same feeling, though not as bad today. i'm scared to cough or sneeze because i know it's going to hurt like hell. my incisions itch too!! so, don't fret...you are normal.

Oh thank goodness! My hubby was ready to take me to the ER. My port incision is really red and bruised and it hurt so bad I could not sleep with out meds last night (kept rolling over on it). So I slept on the couch where I could not roll over, with a full dose of codeine. I'm such a druggie. :love: Some of the pics on the scar stages thread, make my port site look like a scratch and now finding out that I am not the only one with port pain really helps!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I love LBT...

Hello all you JUNEBIES!!:high5:

Congrats:clap2: :clap2: to all of you who are already banded!!! And best wishes to all who are almost there!!!:gluck:

I, too, am going to be banded in June - June 20th that is.

Today is my last day of real food :hungry: and tomorrow starts the pre-op liquid diet. I AM MORE THAN READY!!!

I went to my final consult this week and did the marathon appt with the dr, the coordinator, the dietician, the exercise person, and finally the dr who'll knock me out. I go this week to see my regular dr for a pre-op exam.

I am having surgery in Fort Atkinson, WI. At our hospital, we stay over night and after the barium swallow the next am we are allowed to go home.

Can't wait to join the June band wagon:bounce: .......talk to you all soon.

Tracy

Poodles, my doctor said the port site would be sore at least 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. I've been trying to avoid sleeping on that side but I do find myself a few days no post op feeling less pain.

Barbara 12375, my doctor only had me on 1 day liquid prior to the surgery and I'm fine.

Poodles...I have the same feeling on my left side which is where the port is....i sneezed and thought i was going to die.....and to turn over in bed is hell and to get out of my bed (i have a bed) is tough, i have to sorta slide out of it. I dont have any bruising at all. Doc told me i can peel off them strips monday. I pretty much feel like normal now cept for port soreness.

GOOD LUCK TO FUTURE JUNE BANDSTERS!!!!! MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYS ARE WITH ALL OF YOU!!!!

Oh my gosh wasn't sneezing the worst????? I have only done it twice but I thought I blew my whole insides out!

Last night was my worst night, I really want to lay on my left side (or stomach) but everytime I turn that way I feel a sharp pain and like my insides are falling to the side.

Getting in and out of bed gets alot easier after a few days. At first i avoided it at all cost.

Hi everyone!

Thank God I didn't sneeze or cough for atleast 4 days after surgery.......and within 4 days I could sleep pretty comfortably on either side. Oh lastnight I had a disgusting episode......about 2 hrs after dinner I felt hungry again so i had some cottage cheese, after about 4 bites and a little Water I felt the worst pressure build up in my chest......I could not burp, I could not swallow, my eyes watered up and I heaved and a burp came out but the pressure came again quickly and next time all the slimy c.c. came up and I felt much better. Has this happened to anyone else? Did I eat to fast or could it have gotten stuck? I wonder is this gas that will go away or is this just part of being banded.

Sissi

Hello fellow June bandits, Good luck to all who have surgery coming up this nexy week. You can do it, pre-op diet and all, I did, I lost 20 pounds on pre-op diet and had surgery on the 8th, doing pretty well, you all will be in my prayers. Hope everyone that has already been banded this month are still doing well.

They gave me surgery date, and my sig other ended our relationship and I find I am out of control, I'm eating to fill the void and I'm afraid it's going to kill my surgery date when I step on the scales next week for my pre op visit and instead of losing I've gained weight :)

I tell myself not to do it, and we have another fight (yes I'm stuck here for another week before I can move) and there I am in the fridge eating to take away the pain.

I just need some encourgement I guess......perhaps I'll stock up on sugar free popsicles so at least if I'm shoving something in my mouth it won't be as bad as some of the choices I've been making.

Thanks for listening......

Sunny

Reeneea -"I feel a sharp pain and like my insides are falling to the side."

Yes Yes, that is it exactly! It is kind of nice to know that we are all in the same boat so to speak. Misery loves company and all... :)

Guess I will have to give it time.

I went out for the first time today to Garden Ridge and then I cheated on my diet... but it was so so so good. I got a shaved ice snow cone. Oh my gosh! It went down so easy and felt so good! I need to buy a machine now I guess.

SunnyDee: You must be strong. You are doing this for yourself. So be good to yourself and don't sabatoge your chance to get the band. Popsicles would be great if you must eat something. Did your doc put you on low carb? If so, get a big fat steak!

good morning fellow june bandsters!!

just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. i have to say i feel so much better this morning. i can actually get out of bed without rolling out of it. i can lay on both of my sides without dying in pain. the incision where my port is the only one that really aches. my abdomen feels like i've just done a 1000 crunches! coughing doesn't hurt as bad, but i haven't sneezed yet (not looking forward to it!). my gas concentrates early in the morning...right between my shoulder blades, but it doesn't last long. how is everyone doing with their food intake or lack of:p ?

i hope everyone is doing good!!!

I really shouldn't complain as my surgery and recovery are going great. My only concerns is dizziness. I'm talking serious dizzy like the room is spinning upside down and inside out. It only last a second or two but it's scarry and very yucky. So far I haven't gotten sick from it. Last night I took off the patch from behind my ear. I am hoping that was the reason for spinning.

Dr. Spivak's nurse called yesterday to see how I was doing and she really didn't have any answer regarding the dizziness. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how long did it last.