Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Glad you guys are doing well after surgery. Keep moving around and let that gas escape. ;)

For those of you questioning the food, go to that thread. There are plenty of suggestions out there for the liquid stage. From all I've read it looks like liquids for 2-3 weeks after surgery is the norm. Then another 2-3 weeks of mushies. Try to get the Protein in first. As the swelling goes down you will get more hungry. Don't eat regular food until your doctor tells you to. That seems to cause damage, much like the process of feeding an infant - if you encounter problems go back to liquids and work back up.

I'm still waiting to see if I'm on for the 13th. I'm so ready and envious that some of you have started the process.

Annemarie, you will be fine. Good luck. It was like a dream to me too. Surreal. But I made it thru.

Reeneea: I am having to slip slowly, and I feel full with an ounce or so. Popcicles are the best because I let them melt slowly in my mouth. A little bite at a time. Now I know, I am only suppose to be having broth/water/gatorade, but figure my sugar free pops are close enough to gatorade, and I have only had one so far today.

I have not had any gas pain, thank goodness, just a rummblie tummy. I am on liquids for 2 weeks, and then on mushies, so I am envious of you!! Be careful with the soft food though. Don't want to make that tummy work hard too soon... or you will pull your stitches!

Hope everyone scheduled for today is having an easy time. And good luck to all those scheduled the rest of the week!

Hi everyone..

just wanted to check in and let you know that surgery went well, Mx was nice and Dr. Sanchez and his team took very good care of me. The pain from surgery is not bad at all but the gas is hell. Everything that I drink has to fight gas bubbles going down...painful...and I'm hungry all the time. Out of the 5 of us that were banded that day by Sanchez only 2 of us had problems with gas....so, those of you that haven't had surgery yet, I hope I don't scare ya. I'm sure once I can eat mushies and my hunger pains go away, I'll be feeling better about all this.

LOL, SISSI

I think by soft foods they mean blended. cream Soups, Protein drinks and such, nothing real solid, but more than the Clear Liquids I am having now.

I do have the gas in my shoulder, the dr's office said to move my arms up and down and that does seem to help. I keep feeling like I have to burp, but as of yet have been unable to. I wish it would just happen. I was hoping the gas would only last 72 hours, but it sounds like Sissi is still experiencing it. Is it better at least?

I understand the before hand fear. I felt it, I was very teary the morning of the surgery and when I first came out and was so uncomfortable I thought OMGosh what have I done. but by yesterday afternoon I was much better. And yes I wish I could eat pizza with my family, but i have so much more to look forwad to, so I will stick with the dr's instructions to the tee.

Good luck everyone that is scheduled for today and this week. Keep us up to date on how you are doing.

For more info go to: http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs35.htm

Purpose

The soft diet serves as a transition from liquids to a regular diet for individuals who are recovering from surgery or a long illness. It can help to ease difficulty in chewing and/or swallowing due to dental problems or extreme weakness, and it is sometimes recommended to relieve mild intestinal or stomach discomfort. The soft diet can be especially helpful to patients who are undergoing treatments like chemotherapy, or radiation to the head, neck or abdominal areas, which may cause digestive problems or make the mouth and throat very sore.

Foods may be softened by cooking or mashing. Canned or soft-cooked fruits and vegetables may be used in place of raw or dried varieties. Refined breads and cereals are usually recommended over coarse, whole-grain types. Moist, tender meats, fish, and poultry are permitted; it is not necessary to grind them unless desired. Eating small, frequent meals can help to reduce gas or bloating.

<TABLE width="90%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%" colSpan=3>

Guidelines for the Soft Diet

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">food Group</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">Foods Allowed</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">Foods to Avoid</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Beverages</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">all</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">none</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Soups</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">mildly seasoned broth, bouillon, or cream soup; strained vegatable soup</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">bean, gumbo, split pea, or onion soup; chunky Soups or chowders</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Meats</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">any moist, tender meats, fish, or poultry (lamb, veal, chicken, turkey, tender beef, liver stewed pork); eggs (see exceptions); creamy peanut butter</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">Fried chicken or fish; fish with bones; shellfish; fried, salted, or smoked meats; sausage; cold cuts; raw or fried eggs; dried beans; nuts and seeds</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Dairy</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">all low-fat milk products, smooth yogurt, mild-flavored cheese, cottage cheese </TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">(avoid milk if lactose-intolerant), yogurt with nuts or seeds, sharp or strong cheeses, cheeses with whole seeds or spices</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Fruits</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">cooked or canned fruit, soft, fresh banana or avocado, fruit juice</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">all raw fruit (except banana or avocado), dried fruit (dates, raisins), coconut </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Vegetables</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">soft-cooked or canned vegetables (see exceptions), fresh lettuce or Tomato, potatoes (mashed, baked, boiled, or creamed), vegetable</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">gas-forming vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, green pepper, onion turnip), whole kernel corn, raw vegetables (excerpt lettuce or tomato), fried vegetables french fries, hash browns</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Grains</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">refined cooked or ready-to-eat cereal; refined white, wheat, or rye bread, rolls, or crackers; plain white rice; pasta</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">whole-grain breads and cereals (bran, rye with seeds, or whole wheat); breads or rolls with coconut, raisins, nuts, or seeds</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Fats</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">butter, margarine, mild salas dressing, Mayonnaise, gravy, cream, cream substitute, sour cream, vegetable oil</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">Spicy salad dressings, fried foods</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Desserts & Sweets</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">smooth ice cream, ice milk, or frozen yogurt; sherbet; fruit ices; custards; pubbings; cake or Cookies made without nuts or coconut</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">desserts or candy made with dried fruit, nuts, coconut; candied fruit; peanut brittle</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="17%">Seasonings</TD><TD vAlign=top width="37%">ketchup; cheese, cream, tomato, or white sauces; soy sauce; chopped or ground leaf herbs</TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%">garlic, horseradish, chili powder, whole or seed herbs and spices, barbeque or cajun seasonings, worcestershire sauce</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Melissa Lea,

Thank you for posting this list. It is much better than the one my doctor gave me. although I will probey start with the thicker liquids rather than the meats and stuff like that. Just too nervous.

Reeneea

i've been sipping on chxn broth and dreyer's sf ice pops. this morning for Breakfast i has some sf pudding. i'm having a hard time finishing it. it took me an hour to finish the 4 oz cup of pudding. i don't know if i'm feeling hunger pains or gas pains. tomorrow, i'll try some creamy Soups and a Protein Shake.< /span>

cutiern:biggrin1:

Hi everyone.....Was banded yesterday ....feeling pretty good.....sore on my left side and sort of uncomfortable when i breathe in deep. They make us use that lil breathing machine have to do it four times a day....spirometer i think. I dont really feel restricted...guess maybe because i am taking all liquids but tomorrow i finally get some cream of chicken and cream of celery. Cant wait.....Some people say they dont feel like eating but i do....it would prolly make me puke if i ate too much. Well glad everyone else that was banded yesterday or before are doing well.....I want RESTRICTION!!!

Hey Reeneea, Yes the gas is getter better but I still have to burp alot to finish Soup or even drink. I just seem to stay hungry:hungry: all the time. This band is really teaching me to slow down when eating and drinking. Bye-Bye to inhaling food....LOL Sissi

sissi, I know what you mean. I am a fast eater. but now I am too scared to eat very fast. I was just in the pantry looking at the cream Soups, never thougt they would look so good.

Yes I have been doing the incentive spirometer (breathing thing) also, they put my goal as 3000,is anyone getting that high???? I am making it to 1000 without a problem and can get to 1500 also, but 3000???? WHERE is everyone else with this?

Reeneea

the nurse told me 2500. egg beaters are starting to sound good right now. i think i'll have some in the morning.

cutiern:biggrin1:

This is what my band doctor says to do for the first two weeks. I bought several kinds of baby food to "water down" with broth, milk, etc. Figure since he allows baby food fruit, a little squash with chicken broth and a little salt/pepper would work. Sounds great right now!!!

What do you think?

LIQUID DIET:

*Coffee, tea, fruit juice (NO orange or grapefruit)

*Crystal light, Nutrasweet, sugar free Kool-Aid

*Diet drinks

*Protein drinks as advised by the doctor (Myocel)

*Broth

*Skim milk or Lactaid milk

*Sugar free Jell-O or Sugar free popsicles

*Low fat yogurt

*Sugar free pudding

*Applesauce or baby food fruit

Poodles, that is the same liquid diet I have to follow for 24-48hours. going for the 48 hours just to be safe.

Cutiern, how high are you making it on the IS? Just want to make sure I shouldn't be higher already.

reeneea