Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell you family/friends?

im still trying to figure out now cause they see im loosing weight and there not believing the hernia story anymore lol but im not telling

Just say I decided to watch my intake of food choices. Or am I bothering you? I can be snippy like MYOB. I told people I had my In sides repaired a d never said what or me dieting.

I have been honest to everyone. I am proud that I made this decision. What other people think might vary but their opinions are their opinions...just like politics! I am a strong person with a strong sense of self...and I made this decision with my health in mind. Not their health! It is my life, my weight, my struggle - and nothing to be ashamed of in my book. We all deal with things differently.

In my opinion - those that criticize you for who you are, what you are, what you want. Need to stop and look in the mirror and fix them first. Everyone has issues of some sort or another – weight is one of them that you SEE! :)

Be proud of you – be proud of decisions you make, and be proud that you made this decision – it might save your life. I know it will save mine.

I think this is all a personal choice and journey. For me, I guess I lied to myself about how heavy I was and would never dare tell anyone what I weighed (including my husband). This was all part of my denial!

When I finally got real about my issues and admitted that I couldn't do it on my own and relinquishing the MY WAY that clearly wasn't working....I began to change and be free from this issue.

I tell people as I need to....but for me...it really is about being honest about my weight and my journey. This, I know, will set me free.

I only told my mom and my boyfriend. I didn't tell ANYBODY at work. They are intrigued about my weight loss. But it's really not their business. My co-workers kept pressuring me about my "diet secret". 2 years have gone by. They gave up asking ;)

My parents, brother, sister, grandmothers, and aunt know all supportive! My co-worker who sits next to me knows because she blurted it out but i was gonna tell her anyways because we always talk and another girl who is next to her knows because she is just nosey and im sure overheard with her supersonic ears and she asked me so i told they both respect not to tell but who knows i have no real good excuse but the others know im having surgery i guess i can say i had a hernia? Seems to work even though not to my knowledge i actually did not have one I know ill have some who ask im not sure at this point im at a stage of i dont care who knows or what they say its already done and i work with nothing but toothpicks. Lol back to work Monday we'll see how it goes

I have only told my husband and am planning to keep it that way.. My surgery is the end of March and I have told my parents and my work that I am having an exploratory laparoscopy procedure for gynaecological reasons. I have had a ovarian cyst drained in the past via laparoscopy so it is plausable. I find that if the reason is Gynae people respect the privacy a bit more. We have had fertility issues so I can explain the weight loss as an incentive to concieve... that is my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

I have told everyone because I have nothing to hide! Most of the people in my circle of friends/family know the struggles I have been through with my weight my whole life...only been 2 weeks since my surgery so not too many people being negative yet but I dare someone to start talking crap and believe me I will let them know a thing or 2.......I am proud of my decision and I don't really care what other people think....I am living for ME!

I have only told my family and a few friends. I had surgery Jan 11 and have lost 28 lbs since I started the pre op diet. People at work ask me what I'm doing and I just tell them a I'm doing a low carb, low fat diet, only eating 3 times a day and no snacking. All of which is true. They don't need to know I had wls. I have 3 cc in my band right now and I still get hungry and I feel I may be eating a little more then I should, so right now it is the diet. I have to make the choice not to eat in between meals and to make good food choices.

I have only told my husband and am planning to keep it that way.. My surgery is the end of March and I have told my parents and my work that I am having an exploratory laparoscopy procedure for gynaecological reasons. I have had a ovarian cyst drained in the past via laparoscopy so it is plausable. I find that if the reason is Gynae people respect the privacy a bit more. We have had fertility issues so I can explain the weight loss as an incentive to concieve... that is my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

That's a good idea.

i know nosey ppl i have a few cousins and there all asking one of them had the lap band and she never lost weight which sucks but she never told anyone about her surgery the reason for her not loosing weight was bc she couldnt afford the fills and she didnt follow the rules as i told her theres no magic cure every weight loss takes hard work engery and postive ppl in ur life including ur self but she keeps pressuring me and thinking im on pills i just looked at her weird and said nope just eating small walking Water no cokes no fast food !!!!!

Hello everyone' date=' I am wanting to keep my surgery on a real "need to know" basis. Has anyone else kept this a secret? What did you say you went into surgery for? Need help on what I can say that would be believable. Alot of people in my life are very against the idea of a lapband. They are also size 8 and never had to work out or diet in thier lives. Thanks![/quote']

To answer your question: NOTHING! Surgery was for a hiatal hernia. Wl is because of eating less and exercising. 1 friend, 1 referral person, my hubby and my three kids know and that is IT! I am doing a lot of hard work to get this weight off and it is my band that will help me keep it off.

I have told my girlfriends and family, I know I will need their support so they need to know what's going on. So far they are all awesome!

I told a select number of people. Close friends, family, etc. I'm not embarrassed to tell people about the surgery but my concern is only related to work. My consult to surgery was so short that I didn't want to cause issues with having to take time off. I told them it was outpatient surgery to have a hernia repaired (which is true since they are repairing my hiatal hernia at the same time).

I have to have surgery for reflux in addition to the lapband. Regardless of the lapband, I would have surgery which would result in a differnt style of eating, at least temporarily. Most people only know I am having surgery for reflux. Only my husband, children, inlaws, and 2 friends know that I will also be getting the lapband. We are on the fense about telling everyone. Part of me doesn't want anyone to know; the other part feels that I have nothing to hide. Luckily for me, or is that unluckily, I have another surgery to fall back on, so it would be easy to hide if I choose to hide it. Part of me wants to be ready emotionally before making the reveal, but the other part feels it would be easier just to announce it from the beginning. The biggest issue is that I know people who have not told others and those who have and the ones who don't are treated differently in rergards to their weightloss than the ones that do. I guess people assume it is an easy, quick fix, or cheat of some sort if you get the band. What they do not realize is that it is a tool that is only useful if you allow it to help you. I have seen people get it and GAIN weight by refusing to do what they are told, and they are miserable because of it. It takes hard work and life changes, but I sit here almost ashamed to say I needed help! It is intersting reading what others are feeling and doing in this situation as well. Thanks for bringing this topic up!