Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Before You Cleaned Out Your Closet?

Hi everyone! Just wondering how long you decided to start cleaning out clothes that were too big. Are there certain clothes that you suggest holding onto as you lose weight?

I started during my pre op... Got rid of a bunch of winter clothes that I never plan on wearing this coming winter! I was told to keep one pair of jeans/pants or outfit for reference. I took a picture in them and am holding onto th for inspiration. Almost 1 month out and they are loose! Enjoy the purge!

I don't remeber well. Its has been almost 3 years from surgery and over 3 for my pre-op 6 month diet. I started to clear out stuff after loosing my pre-op weight as it was way too big already. I purchased a dress for Easter, as I started pre-op in April of 2009. I wore it 1 time and tried it on later in the spring to wear it again, it wa way too big! I am not one to hold onto stuff. I don't mind donating it to my churches 2nd hand store or Goodwill. I bought at them both while actively loosing and hit sales, so it doesn't hurt as much getting rid of clothes that are too big. Best wishes as you loose. Karen

After 6 months I cleaned everything out, I only kept my favorite pair of jeans to remind me of where I started in this whole journey.

I started throwing stuff out around the 60 pound mark. I kept one pair of pants to remind me where I've come from and one shirt that I now use to mow the grass in.

...but the grass mowing shirt is about done too. It's like a tent on me. It's so big it literally falls off my shoulders lol

Congrats everyone! I started dieting after I went to my first seminar in February. I am 9 days post op and am down about 40 lbs since then. I tried on some clothes to go to the mall and I was surprised at how much doesn't fit. I can't wait to just take everything in my closet to good will one day :)

I have three bags of clothes to donate. I've only been banded about 5 weeks, but I tended to wear my clothes loose to start with, so I have pants that are literally falling off. I also got rid of a lot of winter clothes that will be too big (hopefully) by the time it's cold enough to wear them again. I will be saving one pair of jeans as a reminder.

I also arranged my closet with what I can wear now and a section for what almost fits. I tried an "almost fits" pants this morning and they fit!! I still have the spare room closet with clothes that are still way to small for me.

The first cleaning was at about 3 months then it seems like i had to do it every month after that lol at one point i think i was down to 1 pair of jeans and about 5 tops i could wear because i refused to spend money on cloths the way i was going thru them . Lucky for me i had friends and family to hand down cloths and as they were giving me smaller stuff i was giving friends my larger stuff . Now i have 3 closets full :) LOL i always hated to shop now i LOVE it . But im still a budget shopper love me some Yardsales and resale shops was able to build a awsome wardrobe on a very tight budget .

I will not be banded till August so I'm not getting rid of things yet however I do have a pile of clothes I can not wait to get back into!! I am so tired of wearing the same few shirts and pants!

Congrats to you all!!!

I have a closet full of clothes from size 16 down to a few 8's. Obviously, I've always thought I'd get back into the small clothes eventually and now I'm on my way. I'm only 5 weeks postop, so I'm purging the closet slowly, but have already started a little "give-away" pile. I can't wait to wear some of my favorite "old" stuff - there's a reason I've kept them around for years. I also have to stop myself from hitting the July 4th sales - I am determined to be a lot smaller next summer!

Last summer I was size 18 and 16, this summer size 8/10. Have restocked my whole closet. Summer is much cheaper than winter to redo a wardrobe.

I have a box of pants in the garage that I hung onto when I knew I was going to be banded. I am looking forward to getting them out and trying them on. I also had pants that I could barely get fastened preop. They are starting to get loose now and that is exciting.

I started losing inches way before I saw any large difference on the scale. I just started giving my clothes to my mom and friends about 2 weeks out that were already too loose. Maybe a bit premature but I don't plan on going backwards and it's good incentive for me anyway.

Hi everyone! Just wondering how long you decided to start cleaning out clothes that were too big. Are there certain clothes that you suggest holding onto as you lose weight?

i havent thrown anything out as yet. my slacks are very sloppy on me now, but im wearing them for another few weeks, or until its impossible to wear them, depending on how much weight i lose in that time. I still have a wardrobe of great clothes that fitted me five years ago. Tailored clothes that havent gone out of fashion. i cant wait to get into them again.

I've only lost 16 lbs since my surgery but I have lost 70lbs total since starting the process. Needless to say NOTHING fits. It seems like a good problem, but it's been kinda frustrating, and expensive. Any ideas?