Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Hello all!! So I was banned on dec 8th.. Here is my 4 day post op update!

Gas pain in my shoulder is gone!! (for the most part) I have been able to get up and walk around. I have gone out to do shopping with no problem BUT I have been taking the liquid pain meds. I have not really been Hungary but I have removed myself from some dinners my family has eaten (crab legs) I can not seem to get 72 oz of liquid in me - which means I am struggling getting 60 - 70 grams of Protein in. I have been tired but I am blaming the pain meds that I have been (enjoying) taking. I am sleeping pretty good. I have a full feeling if I drank to much to fast. I can drink about 6oz of a Protein shake at one time. Today I had about 2 teaspoons full of mashed potatoes and I also had 2 small bites of cheese cake that went down with no problem (it was my mother-in-law's birthday) Over all I feel good. I started out at 258. I was about 240 for surgery. I am going between 234 and 236 right now. The bloating is still there but not bad. Sooooo over all I think I am doing ok. I need to get my liquids down better but I am not doing bad. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday and start mushie food. I have had my moments when I was scared i was going to F**k up.. I was a little pissed at myself for eating ANY cheesecake and mashed potatoes. In my head I was thinking "Oh my god that was like a 1000 calories" but in reality it w.as just a very small amount. So far I am very happy at the choice I have made but a side of me is scared shitless that I will not have the will power to make good choices. I just have to everyday tell myself that i am VERY luck to have this tool to help me loose weight and use the tool the way it was meant to be used..

Thanks for the rant and the vent!!! It felt good!!

Hi everybody,

I was banded on Dec. 7th and now feel really good. I was able to go out and do some shopping last night. In fact I am pretty hungry for real food and had about one and a half cups of mashed potatoes today. I am supposed to be on a full liquids diet and now I am pretty nervous about what I ate. Has anyone started eating soft foods before they were supposed to? I also don't really ever feel 'full' but just slightly uncomfortable. Is this normal and if it is, will it go away? I am also concerned because I feel like I won't be able to slow down and eat the way I am supposed to. I ate those mashed potatoes in like 10 minutes (that was really slow for me). Any feedback and support will be appreciated. Thanks, ~Ktizzle

Hi everybody,

I was banded on Dec. 7th and now feel really good. I was able to go out and do some shopping last night. In fact I am pretty hungry for real food and had about one and a half cups of mashed potatoes today. I am supposed to be on a full liquids diet and now I am pretty nervous about what I ate. Has anyone started eating soft foods before they were supposed to? I also don't really ever feel 'full' but just slightly uncomfortable. Is this normal and if it is, will it go away? I am also concerned because I feel like I won't be able to slow down and eat the way I am supposed to. I ate those mashed potatoes in like 10 minutes (that was really slow for me). Any feedback and support will be appreciated. Thanks, ~Ktizzle

hey, got banded the 7th too...so share your pain, especially stomach growling at me...I know when Im hungry in the head, and when my body is simply saying DUUUDE, food goes in here OK! I ended up going for a lighter, softer feed, scrambled eggs...did the trick and with 2 eggs and a splash of milk, I only ate half the first time and 3/4 today, so didnt stuff myself crazy.

I have decided to kinda eat on the move...I leave it on the counter, take a small piece and chew and do other things, to make sure I have a minute or two between bites and to use gravity/movement to aid digestion...and havent had a problem yet. I think mash potato will be my first hurdle, as of yet I dont feel any differant.

Hi Vicky! I am glad you are at this new thread, too. Why did your surgeon put the port at your waist?! Hopefully it will feel much better as you continue to heal!

Hi Joan,

I have no idea why my surgeon put my port at my waist but it is just to the left of my belly button - that was one question I never thought to ask :o . It does feel better today (the incisions are covered with steri strips)...I'm just wearing some soft draw string pants today - luckily my office has a relaxed dress code! :D

I was banded on Dec 6th, I haven't had any mushie food, I can't 'start on that til next week.

Have you tried Isopure? it had 40 grams of Protein per serving and is 20 fl ounces, there are different flavors too. I use my Protein powder in my Fluid, I have recipes that I have added to my blog that are really great tasting. I wouldn't post them if I hadn't tried them.lol each of the servings are 20 grams and if you do morning noon and evenning you have your Protein in. I also change it up and blend Soups in the blender..its amazing that they taste yummy but they do! I just eat 1 serving and count the protein in. That might help you too. As long as it goes thru a straw it is on my liquid diet.

We Decembers have to stick together!

Cindi

Gas pain in my shoulder is gone!! (for the most part) I have been able to get up and walk around. I have gone out to do shopping with no problem BUT I have been taking the liquid pain meds. I have not really been Hungary but I have removed myself from some dinners my family has eaten (crab legs) I can not seem to get 72 oz of liquid in me - which means I am struggling getting 60 - 70 grams of protein in. I have been tired but I am blaming the pain meds that I have been (enjoying) taking. I am sleeping pretty good. I have a full feeling if I drank to much to fast. I can drink about 6oz of a protein shake at one time. Today I had about 2 teaspoons full of mashed potatoes and I also had 2 small bites of cheese cake that went down with no problem (it was my mother-in-law's birthday) Over all I feel good. I started out at 258. I was about 240 for surgery. I am going between 234 and 236 right now. The bloating is still there but not bad. Sooooo over all I think I am doing ok. I need to get my liquids down better but I am not doing bad. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday and start mushie food. I have had my moments when I was scared i was going to F**k up.. I was a little pissed at myself for eating ANY cheesecake and mashed potatoes. In my head I was thinking "Oh my god that was like a 1000 calories" but in reality it w.as just a very small amount. So far I am very happy at the choice I have made but a side of me is scared shitless that I will not have the will power to make good choices. I just have to everyday tell myself that i am VERY luck to have this tool to help me loose weight and use the tool the way it was meant to be used..

I was banded on Dec 6th, I haven't had any mushie food, I can't 'start on that til next week.

Have you tried Isopure? it had 40 grams of Protein per serving and is 20 fl ounces, there are different flavors too. I use my Protein Powder in my Fluid, I have recipes that I have added to my blog that are really great tasting. I wouldn't post them if I hadn't tried them.lol each of the servings are 20 grams and if you do morning noon and evenning you have your Protein in. I also change it up and blend Soups in the blender..its amazing that they taste yummy but they do! I just eat 1 serving and count the protein in. That might help you too. As long as it goes thru a straw it is on my liquid diet.

We Decembers have to stick together!

Cindi

Gas pain in my shoulder is gone!! (for the most part) I have been able to get up and walk around. I have gone out to do shopping with no problem BUT I have been taking the liquid pain meds. I have not really been Hungary but I have removed myself from some dinners my family has eaten (crab legs) I can not seem to get 72 oz of liquid in me - which means I am struggling getting 60 - 70 grams of protein in. I have been tired but I am blaming the pain meds that I have been (enjoying) taking. I am sleeping pretty good. I have a full feeling if I drank to much to fast. I can drink about 6oz of a protein shake at one time. Today I had about 2 teaspoons full of mashed potatoes and I also had 2 small bites of cheese cake that went down with no problem (it was my mother-in-law's birthday) Over all I feel good. I started out at 258. I was about 240 for surgery. I am going between 234 and 236 right now. The bloating is still there but not bad. Sooooo over all I think I am doing ok. I need to get my liquids down better but I am not doing bad. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday and start mushie food. I have had my moments when I was scared i was going to F**k up.. I was a little pissed at myself for eating ANY cheesecake and mashed potatoes. In my head I was thinking "Oh my god that was like a 1000 calories" but in reality it w.as just a very small amount. So far I am very happy at the choice I have made but a side of me is scared shitless that I will not have the will power to make good choices. I just have to everyday tell myself that i am VERY luck to have this tool to help me loose weight and use the tool the way it was meant to be used..

Hi. I was banded the 9th. I'm doing well. I walked around a lot the day after surgery and as a result haven't had any gas pains at all (at least I think that's why!). I haven't needed any pain meds - not even Tylenol - since the day after surgery.

I can't start mushies until after I see my surgeon on Thursday. I'm not hungry at all though. I'm getting my two Protein shakes in, a reduced sugar apple juice and Water. broth does not appeal to me at all. I'm vegetarian so my choices are mushroom broth, Miso or vegetable broth. They all taste way too salty to me and one of them is low sodium.

At this point, I cannot imagine disobeying my doctors orders. For me, I know it would be a slippery slope so I'm committed to do everything my doctor says. Best wishes to all of you guys! We are headed to healthy!

Hi all,

I was in surgery on the 6th of Dec. I began this journey in April and went through alot to get here. I quit smoking for them to even consider me a canidate for surgery...I took the Chantix which was amazing and I am 8 months Smoke FREE!

I debated for a long time about surgery and continued to tell myself I could do this on my own. Well, apparently not!

I began this journey at 270 lbs and lost 22 lbs before surgery. Since last monday I am down another 8 lbs to give me a total of 30lbs now. I know they say that we are the last ones to see the weight loss but others have noticed! I still don't see it! Soon enough I will.

I get the hunger pains to the point I want to cry! My intestines feel like they are twisted and spassing out. I am keeping on top of the carnations and milk but they feel like they don't "hold me over"!

I was a mess the first 2 days after surgery and was only to take Clear Liquids just to stay hydrated. I am feeling much better today and really happy with the choice I made.

I wish everyone luck on their journey.

~Mandy

I was jut banded on Dec. 10th. I'm in the liquid stage right now and this isn't easy.

Hello,

Did great on my first day back at work! When I got home I started eating some cottage cheese with tiny diced peaches. It formed a very painful plug. This has happened a few times with different foods. I immediately chew 2 TUMS and it stops. I also walk around, breathe deeply and relax.

Hi Everybody,

Sounds like there are various degrees of soreness, gas and pain that is unique to each individual. Just take comfort in that you are on the road to recovery and better health.

I didn't have any sutures, just Derma-Bond which my Doc said would slough off. My port is the most bruised, but not sore really unless I push on it. It is about 4 inches and slightly to the left of my navel. None of my small incisions interfere with my clothes and I had no problem, even leaving the hospital. But, That is a good question to ask going into this as to where the doctor places the incisions and his reasoning. My band was done laproscopically and I had no hernias or other complications.

My BIGGEST advise to those considering Lap-Band is the Dr.'s expertise and how many procedures he has done. What is his complication rate, revision rate and infection rate. My hubby is a veterinarian and does surgery and asked those questions flat out.

Also, what type of support, education and follow-up is required. Be a smart consumer, whether you or your insurance is paying. IT'S YOUR BODY and FUTURE!

Ok, gotta go and mix up a trout and brussle sprout Protein shake in my Magic Bullet!. Now doesn't the thought of that make your French vanilla creme or double chocolate Protein Shake sound wonderful! Cheers! Bottoms up! :P

Now thjat has to be the most unusual shake I have ever heard of! :)

I was jut banded on Dec. 10th. I'm in the liquid stage right now and this isn't easy.

What problems are you having?

Hungry, unable to get enough liquids in? Try sipping all day long to get enough fluids in. Let us know what you are struggling with and maybe we can help.:D

Have a good night, Joan

hey, got banded the 7th too...so share your pain, especially stomach growling at me...I know when Im hungry in the head, and when my body is simply saying DUUUDE, food goes in here OK! I ended up going for a lighter, softer feed, scrambled eggs...did the trick and with 2 eggs and a splash of milk, I only ate half the first time and 3/4 today, so didnt stuff myself crazy.

I have decided to kinda eat on the move...I leave it on the counter, take a small piece and chew and do other things, to make sure I have a minute or two between bites and to use gravity/movement to aid digestion...and havent had a problem yet. I think mash potato will be my first hurdle, as of yet I dont feel any differant.

Im glad you are doing well nate, I feel even better today but I feel that I can eat a lot still. Maybe my doctor left a lot of room for fills? I see him on the 22nd so I'll ask then. Its good that you only ate a little eggs. I wasnt as hungry today, but I did have some tuna salad I made in the food processor. It made it into a paste. I got all of my Protein in today so I feel better. Thanks for the support ~K

I got banded yesterday. Im in terrible pain still. Cant sleep, most of the night ive been sitting up.I've been taking the liquid hydrocodone it helps a tad, but still painful!

When does the pain subside? Like to where I could sleep on my side fairly pain free?

Walking definitely helped with the gas! The gas was so bad at the hospital walking helped.

I'm so dehydrated too, been sipping Water. Haha I was so dry before the surgery they couldn't find a vein to poke my IV in the nurses were beating up my hand haha. Haven't had any Protein yet, didn't feel like it last night.

Day 8 post op for me :)

I'm back at work and doing fine. A bit tired tonight, but they maybe due to the late nights and early mornings.

I was able to sleep on my side with a pillow wedged under my belly on night 4 I think it was. It took a huge effort, but the next day I felt great and my gas pains had disappeared.

We had our work Christmas Luncheon today. AHHHH!! I had some watery broth which they called Asparagus Soup and a fresh orange/strawberry juice. I am still hungry! I also ate my Soup and Protein shake for morning tea and didn't seem to hit the sides :( I can't wait for some real food I can chew! :)

When I eat and do feel full I still have this empty growling feeling in my tummy. Anyone else experiencing this. I have a tightness in my chest but still feeling hungry. Is this how its going to feel forever?

Speedy recovery to the newly banded.

I am being banded this coming Friday,12/17/2010. I am beginning to get really nervous about it. I don't have to be back at work until the 4th of Jan, hoping this is enough time to get past the initial discomfort. I suppose I'm like most of you, some success in the past followed by the yoyo ups and downs. I am presently the heaviest I have ever been. 310#. I have a very supporting wife so that will help, but I know it's about my choices. I will follow up next week after the surgery.