Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Thank you for sharing your experiences, its making me feel a whole lot better. I was banded on the 6th Dec and also had my gallbladder removed at the same time. I've been feeling really stiff and have a lot of gas pain. Its actually a lot harder than I had imagined it was going to be and I've had 2 C-sections!

I'm 5'11 and was 286 pounds on the day of surgery and 37 years old (38 in a few weeks). (I'm an Aussie so not sure if my measurements are exactly right as we use cm and kg's). I don't live in Aus though, and found this the best way to receive support and talk to people. I also have diabetes in my family and cancer, so thought I had better do something now before it gets too late. I have 2 small daughters and want to be around for them for a long time.

I haven't had to follow many of the restrictions that most of you have had to. My preop diet was to eat healthy, no extra fat and lean meats with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and now that I am banded I've been told to make Soup with no oil, add high Protein and vegetables, puree and sip. I'm also allowed fresh juice, skim milk yoghurt, skim milk and of course Water. I hope this is OK as I've noticed a lot of you don't add these things to your diet until a week or so later.

The Dr tells me he has already put 2cc of fill as well, and I would say that's why I have a very tight feeling in my chest and can only consume very small amounts of liquid. Its great not feeling hungry though and that's something I'm not familiar with. I'm usually ALWAYS hungry!

Does anyone have any ideas on how much Fluid we should be taking in per day? I don't think I'm getting as much liquid as I should and don't want to dehydrate.

I'm also worried that I might be one of the unsuccessful bandsters. I haven't really eaten anything since Sun night and with my swollen belly, look like I haven't stopped eating. I'm just hoping once the swelling goes down, so will my weight on the scales.

Thanks again for sharing everyone, its great to have support.

Purpleshell

Thank you for sharing your experiences, its making me feel a whole lot better. I was banded on the 6th Dec and also had my gallbladder removed at the same time. I've been feeling really stiff and have a lot of gas pain. Its actually a lot harder than I had imagined it was going to be and I've had 2 C-sections!

I'm 5'11 and was 286 pounds on the day of surgery and 37 years old (38 in a few weeks). (I'm an Aussie so not sure if my measurements are exactly right as we use cm and kg's). I don't live in Aus though, and found this the best way to receive support and talk to people. I also have diabetes in my family and cancer, so thought I had better do something now before it gets too late. I have 2 small daughters and want to be around for them for a long time.

I haven't had to follow many of the restrictions that most of you have had to. My preop diet was to eat healthy, no extra fat and lean meats with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and now that I am banded I've been told to make Soup with no oil, add high Protein and vegetables, puree and sip. I'm also allowed fresh juice, skim milk yoghurt, skim milk and of course Water. I hope this is OK as I've noticed a lot of you don't add these things to your diet until a week or so later.

The Dr tells me he has already put 2cc of fill as well, and I would say that's why I have a very tight feeling in my chest and can only consume very small amounts of liquid. Its great not feeling hungry though and that's something I'm not familiar with. I'm usually ALWAYS hungry!

Does anyone have any ideas on how much Fluid we should be taking in per day? I don't think I'm getting as much liquid as I should and don't want to dehydrate.

I'm also worried that I might be one of the unsuccessful bandsters. I haven't really eaten anything since Sun night and with my swollen belly, look like I haven't stopped eating. I'm just hoping once the swelling goes down, so will my weight on the scales.

Thanks again for sharing everyone, its great to have support.

Purpleshell

Hi Purpleshell,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Did you get banded in the states? it seems every dr. has his own protocols for nutrition and surgery. I won't get a fill for at least a month, but am scared of the consequesnces already!

I have been encouraged to drinks at least 24-32 ozs. of clear fluids, Water being best to avoide dehydration. I was dehydrated yesterday and felt clammy and weak. Been better about intake since and felt fine. Yeah, the swollen belly belies the weight loss!

I know I am going to be one of those "slow losers", but that's ok and I will just have to stay focused. I gained Water weught after surgery and I still haven't lsot it all after 5 days. Most likely it takes 2 weeks, according to my veterinarian husband. Will see Dr. tomorrow and get some questions answered then, too.

Stay in touch and good luck!

Garden Gal

Hi All! I was banded on Monday Dec. 6th. I am 5'1" My highest weight was 239. I started the 6 months of diet and exercise in April, and my weight was 220. My weight right before surgery was 221.7. I am currently up 6 lbs from the fluids and swelling. I am having very little pain at my incisions, but my shoulders and legs are killing me! I feel like I did 100 squats! I also have been trying to follow the rules my doc gave me which is clear fluids and Protein Shakes for 2 weeks. I am only supposed to sip 5 ounces of these fluids over 30 minutes. I am finding it hard to get all this Fluid in, so I am sipping as much as I can. I have experienced some pressure and tightness right below my sternum. I just assume this is "Bertha the Band" letting me know she is there :) I decided to give my band a nickname. I'm glad that I see alot of you out there who made this choice to ward off Diabetes. This has been my main reason for turning to the LapBand.

Hi Garden Gal,

No I was banded in the UAE (Dubai). A lot of banding goes on here as Diabetes is one of the highest rates in the world and the locals like their food :) However, there are no support groups that I know of as everyone keeps it to themselves. I'm going to ask my Dr. at my next visit if there is another Western Lady that he has banded recently that would like to meet up or chat.

I had one friend who was banded last year but she has moved back to NZ. I haven't told her yet that I've been banded as she was very open about her experiences. Everyone knew! I heard many negative comments behind her back like "she took the easy way out" etc. and I just don't want people saying that about me. Especially when this was not the easy way out. Its been a very hard decision and I know that I am going to have to do a lot of work for this band to work.

Thanks for the info on how much fluids you are to drink. I had to convert oz in google :) So 3-4 cups of liquid per day. That sounds OK but my pain in my left shoulder hurts when I drink. Its horrible!

N8iveLoLo I don't think I could drink 5 ounces in 30 min either at this stage. That's a lot of sipping. I love your bands name too :)

Well after reading all of your posts, I realize I had better get my act together and start a more regular exercise plan. I've only been walking around the house. So today I plan on going for a longer walk outside!

Enjoy your day and speedy recovery everyone!

Purpleshell

Hi Garden Gal,

No I was banded in the UAE (Dubai). A lot of banding goes on here as Diabetes is one of the highest rates in the world and the locals like their food :) However, there are no support groups that I know of as everyone keeps it to themselves. I'm going to ask my Dr. at my next visit if there is another Western Lady that he has banded recently that would like to meet up or chat.

I had one friend who was banded last year but she has moved back to NZ. I haven't told her yet that I've been banded as she was very open about her experiences. Everyone knew! I heard many negative comments behind her back like "she took the easy way out" etc. and I just don't want people saying that about me. Especially when this was not the easy way out. Its been a very hard decision and I know that I am going to have to do a lot of work for this band to work.

Thanks for the info on how much fluids you are to drink. I had to convert oz in google :) So 3-4 cups of liquid per day. That sounds OK but my pain in my left shoulder hurts when I drink. Its horrible!

N8iveLoLo I don't think I could drink 5 ounces in 30 min either at this stage. That's a lot of sipping. I love your bands name too :)

Well after reading all of your posts, I realize I had better get my act together and start a more regular exercise plan. I've only been walking around the house. So today I plan on going for a longer walk outside!

Enjoy your day and speedy recovery everyone!

Purpleshell

Purpleshell and N8iveLoLo,

You are SO RIGHT about this not being the "easy way out!" it is a lot more work and worry and the you can STILL fail! I paid for my surgery and I am HIGHLY motivated to succeed, both for my health and pocketbook!

I do find it hard to drink enough liquids, as well. I tend to chug it down to get it out of the way. My only residual pain is in my shoulder joints and it is fading, but very slowly. I see the Doc today and am an interested to see what he has to say.

I weighed this morning and hit the 15 lb. mark. (Sorry, have no idea how many kilos, purpleshell!) Really have had no other compalints since the surgery. But, I have yet to have a fill.

N8iveLoLo, walk as much as you can and be as active as you can. That is what everyone seems to say to help reduce the swelling, gas and pains. Easier said than done, I know, but it isn't always the case!

Purpleshell, how interesting that you are in UAE. Are you working there? What is it like living there and how long have you been there? I have watched several programs on the buiding of Dubai and the design and buildings. Very fascinating! I love this site more than just for the band support!

Take care everyone and keep doing what it takes!

garden gal

Hey all! I hope you don't mind me posting a comment here as I'm not newly banded, but I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck. I remember very well those first few months. I was banded April 2008 and I have done very well. It's not always easy, but I have never once regretted my decision. It was the best decision and the best gift I have ever given myself.

I know this site is a great source of support. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. If I can figure out how to do it. :0) This site has changed dramatically since I was a regular here.

Anyway, congrats and good luck! You can all do it!

I was banded this past Monday, December 6th in Beverly Hills. Turns out I had a hiatal hernia that needed to be repaired, but two days later I am back at work and was able to walk 5 miles on my treamill this morning. I have 65 pounds to lose and I am surprised how quickly I was able to bounce back. I hope everyone has it as easy as this has been. A little heart burn at night is my only complaint.

Hey all! I hope you don't mind me posting a comment here as I'm not newly banded, but I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck. I remember very well those first few months. I was banded April 2008 and I have done very well. It's not always easy, but I have never once regretted my decision. It was the best decision and the best gift I have ever given myself.

I know this site is a great source of support. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. If I can figure out how to do it. :0) This site has changed dramatically since I was a regular here.

Anyway, congrats and good luck! You can all do it!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I was just banded on Wed Dec 8th. I have a lot of shoulder pain and painful gas. It seems the more I move the better it feels. I am having quite a bit of pain as was my roommate. She had her procedure done by my dr immediately after mine. I am not finding the liquid pain killer they gave me to be too effective unfortunately.

I find it interesting what other doctors tell their patients that they can eat. I am on Clear Liquids until tomorrow when I can go back to my Protein shakes and some yogurt.

I look forward to this journey with the rest of you. :D

i was banned december 8th! I feel ok. I am still taking the pain meds that were giving to me, I do have a tight feeling in my chest - I am not sure if it is a full feeling or gas. I am on liquids for a week then I move on the mushie foods. I am 5"5 and started out at 258. I lost about 20 pounds for the pre op diet. I am not 235. I am doing ok with the liquid diet - but I have removed myself from eating with the family for dinner, for now anyway..

Look foward to meeting all of you!! :rolleyes:

Hi all!

I was banded on Dec. 2nd. I had my first follow-up visit on Dec. 8th and have lost 12.1 pounds thus far. I am currently on the full liquid diet. I am feeling pretty good. It sounds like everyone else is doing good as well so that is awesome!

I am also having difficulty sleeping. Has anyone found anything that eases the discomfort? I just can't seem to get comfortable and don't sleep but a few hours at a time. That has started catching up with me. I'm kinda starting to drag during the day.

I look forward to talking more with everyone! I hope to find a lot of answers to my questions and get support.

Hi fellow bandsters!!

I got banded Dec 2nd and I'm still on the full liquid diet, my first dr. app since surgery is on 16th. The day of my surgery my weight was 248 and yesterday was 240, so far so good.

I'm 5'2 so have a long way but i'm confident that it'll work out great...I'm very excited!biggrin.gif

BTW I also feel the pressure on my chest, it happens usually if I drink to quickly so I've been slowing down. I still have a hard time doing six meals(liquids) a day because I feel full quick and I don't want to over do it, so Im basically just "listening" what my body tells me.

Wish you all the best of lucks!

Think positivewink.gif

Well I had a long reply to everyone and then lost it all with one click :( So this will be a shorter one!

I went for a walk today and then went grocery shopping with the family and actually feel OK. Still tight in the chest/stomach though especially when I drink/eat. I think it must be the feeling you get after a fill. I already have 2 cc's in my band and find it difficult to get much down at one time.

I was really hungry at one stage today, had a few sips of my Soup and couldn't fit in anymore. I was still hungry though :( I hope it doesn't continue like this.

I find it very interesting what Dr's tell their patients too PhatGoddess. I'm on an all liquid diet, but allowed yoghurt and home made Soups with lots of yummy vegetables and meat whizzed in the blender. He told me he would rather I got all my Protein from fresh produce and not Protein shakes, but I really like my morning Protein smoothie so keeping it on the menu :)

Garden Gal- Living in the UAE is very interesting. I've been working/living here for nearly 4 years now and lived in Qatar for 4 years before that. I'm a teacher and currently working as an Education Advisor. If you ever get the chance to visit Dubai its worth the visit, but only during the winter months- 122+ F is not fun in the summer!! We all try and leave during summer vacation.

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well. Keep up the good work!

Purpleshell