Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Ok....so I'm trying not to get discouraged!!!

I weighed for my one week post-op today and I've lost only 4 pounds. I know that is a loss, and I should be happy. But I was expecting more for the first week, especially after being on Clear liquids. I've walked atleast 30 minutes everyday since 1 day post-op. I've seen others, like gardengal, that has reported 13 total lost. So my 4 pounds seems like it's not enough.

The tightness in my chest is gradually getting better. The nurse told me to take gas-x and I have found that it does help.

I am still not sleeping well, finding it difficult to find a comforatble position.

I have almost no soreness anymore! (Yay)

My husband has already said that it looks like my face is slimming down. Even though I only lost 4 pounds this week, I have lost a total of 42 lbs from my highest weight, back in January 2010 when I first began the journey towards having the lapband. My clothes are starting to feel really loose! :)

So there's the good and the bad....Any thoughts?

hello everyone! i started reading this forum a little bit and decided i totally had to join! i am 21 years old, 5'4" and started out at 277 before the pre-op diet and am currently 250 as of this morning! and just like a few of you all on here i got banded a week ago today, on december 3!! i wish you all luck in your journey and i think we should all keep in touch and stick together! yay for december 2010! by the way, i am glad to be reading the same things that i was feeling this past week on here...I'M NOT ALONE!! :)

Ok....so I'm trying not to get discouraged!!!

I weighed for my one week post-op today and I've lost only 4 pounds. I know that is a loss, and I should be happy. But I was expecting more for the first week, especially after being on Clear Liquids. I've walked atleast 30 minutes everyday since 1 day post-op. I've seen others, like gardengal, that has reported 13 total lost. So my 4 pounds seems like it's not enough.

The tightness in my chest is gradually getting better. The nurse told me to take gas-x and I have found that it does help.

I am still not sleeping well, finding it difficult to find a comforatble position.

I have almost no soreness anymore! (Yay)

My husband has already said that it looks like my face is slimming down. Even though I only lost 4 pounds this week, I have lost a total of 42 lbs from my highest weight, back in January 2010 when I first began the journey towards having the lapband. My clothes are starting to feel really loose! :)

So there's the good and the bad....Any thoughts?

You need to give yourself time to recover from surgery, heal up, and get on a proper eating schdule. Expecting to lose weight in the first week or two after surgery will frustrate you, because your body is retaining fluids, and you are still getting adjusted to your new life. Relax, and be patient. The weight will come off. (I gained ten pounds of fluids in the hospital.) No sense getting yourself upset over something that you can't control. Remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight.

And your husband may be right - pounds lost doesn't always equal inches lost. Your body will realign to its new situation, even if less pounds are lost - things are still adjusting. Again, take time to let things happen on their own course.

Most of all, take pictures of yourself now, so you can compare them to your future shape. That's where you'll see differences, regardless of what the scale says.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. I know that this is a long journey and not gonna happen overnight. I guess I just expected better results from the liquid diet. But I do understand that my body is still healing from surgery. Don't mean to sound like I'm whining or complaining. I'm just getting on this rollercoater journey! I am determined to make this work! Hopefully the hard work will pay off!

Again, thank you so much for the reply! :)

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. I know that this is a long journey and not gonna happen overnight. I guess I just expected better results from the liquid diet. But I do understand that my body is still healing from surgery. Don't mean to sound like I'm whining or complaining. I'm just getting on this rollercoater journey! I am determined to make this work! Hopefully the hard work will pay off!

Again, thank you so much for the reply! :)

Glad to help. Post in a month and tell everyone how you're doing. I'll bet you'll have all kinds of good things to say. :)

Dave

Well I had a long reply to everyone and then lost it all with one click :( So this will be a shorter one!

I went for a walk today and then went grocery shopping with the family and actually feel OK. Still tight in the chest/stomach though especially when I drink/eat. I think it must be the feeling you get after a fill. I already have 2 cc's in my band and find it difficult to get much down at one time.

I was really hungry at one stage today, had a few sips of my Soup and couldn't fit in anymore. I was still hungry though :( I hope it doesn't continue like this.

I find it very interesting what Dr's tell their patients too PhatGoddess. I'm on an all liquid diet, but allowed yoghurt and home made Soups with lots of yummy vegetables and meat whizzed in the blender. He told me he would rather I got all my Protein from fresh produce and not Protein shakes, but I really like my morning Protein smoothie so keeping it on the menu :)

Garden Gal- Living in the UAE is very interesting. I've been working/living here for nearly 4 years now and lived in Qatar for 4 years before that. I'm a teacher and currently working as an Education Advisor. If you ever get the chance to visit Dubai its worth the visit, but only during the winter months- 122+ F is not fun in the summer!! We all try and leave during summer vacation.

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well. Keep up the good work!

Purpleshell

Thanks, PS! Sounds like Texas summers! :lol:

What you described is what I fear most.....unsatiated hunger and not being able to eat any more! I am working on "head hunger" as that is the hardest battle I hear. I am now on "soft foods", which feels like a smorgasboard after 3 weeks of liquids. My Dr.'s philosophy is after surgery is to let the body heal and prevent stretching the pouch before the first fill. I think my swelling is starting to to return to normal and I am 1 week post-op. I did gain probably 5-6 lbs of Fluid and the walking helps resorb and flush the Fluid, as well as dissipate the gas.

I feel very fortunate after hearing from some of you that I had virtually little to no pain post-op. Hoping you all get relief quickly and heal fast. I don't have much to offer to alleviate pain. Nervous about my first fill which is scheduled for Dec. 30th. I have my 3rd nutrition class on the 27th with the P.A. and dietician. I have to say we get LOTS of support and instruction! We have a 24 hr. hotline as well, that one of the 3 medical staff, Dr. included, answers.

This site is also a great distraction in the evening for me to read and post to!

Hang in there everyone and my best to everyone and yes, we are all in this together!

Garden Gal

Hi, I got banded this Monday, Dec 6, 2010. I went in at 8am, and was scheduled to stay the night in the hospital. I had a terrible reaction to the anesthesia, nausea, extreme pain, retching, gagging. I was kept overnight, and they wanted to keep me a second night. My WBC went high, higher than they expected for surgery, up to 18.

Also I cannot take any opiates (and obviously now no NSAIDs) for pain, so all I could take is Tylenol. This is my 4th day post-op, and I was very nauseated this morning.

I believe the sites are healing well, no fever, drinking liquids, but just still having some mild discomfort, so using Tylenol every 6 hours.

I walked today, just to my post office and back, and I'm trying non-medication distracting/healing, using music, massage, etc. Drinking as much Fluid as I can stand.

I'm down 9 lbs so far, and still tracking all my fluid, calorie and Protein intake on Livestrong.com

Good luck to everyone..

hi

Just signed up...banded 4 days ago on the 7th...sick of liquid already, haha....but working through it. From Australia, so will have to convert any weight loss to your wacky non-metric system. 25 pounds sounds like so much more then say 10 kilos, so I guess thats why you all prefer it that way...but I find it funny when on US shows they say 'I need to lose a few pounds' lol, I go to the can and lose a few, sheesh!

Good evening, I was banded on December 2nd and I had lots of chest and shoulder pain which was a gas bubble which is noted on my x-ray. Very painful. Its been better but much worse tonight. I also have lots of port pain and I think it moves when I bend over. I do hope that this is the worse and it will get better. I see clinic Monday and I hope they advance my diet, Those Protein shakes are getting very old and they give me lots of gas. I see my Surgeon on Wednesday, I hope everything is ok but this pain has me worried. I do hope this is just part of the healing process. I am losing weight. I lost 28 before surgery and other 8 pounds since surgery. No wonder, you can't eat anything and I'm starting to get really hungry.

Hi, I got banded this Monday, Dec 6, 2010. I went in at 8am, and was scheduled to stay the night in the hospital. I had a terrible reaction to the anesthesia, nausea, extreme pain, retching, gagging. I was kept overnight, and they wanted to keep me a second night. My WBC went high, higher than they expected for surgery, up to 18.

Also I cannot take any opiates (and obviously now no NSAIDs) for pain, so all I could take is Tylenol. This is my 4th day post-op, and I was very nauseated this morning.

I believe the sites are healing well, no fever, drinking liquids, but just still having some mild discomfort, so using Tylenol every 6 hours.

I walked today, just to my post office and back, and I'm trying non-medication distracting/healing, using music, massage, etc. Drinking as much Fluid as I can stand.

I'm down 9 lbs so far, and still tracking all my Fluid, calorie and Protein intake on Livestrong.com

Good luck to everyone..

wow, not good at all...I was so worried about the shoulder pain and everything else, being my first surgery ever, but walked out of hospital 8 hours after the procedure was done!

Hi!

Glad you are feeling so well!

I just had my lap band done on Monday!

Starting to feel great as well!

Email me if you ever want to chat!

Melody

Hello! I am trying to figure out this forum and how it all works so bear with me! I was banded Friday, Dec. 3rd and have about 85 lbs. to lose. Diabetes runs in my family and I felt like a time bomb and have never been able to keep the weight off. It just crept up and up. I am very active and want to be able to exercise without the aches and pains. I am 5' 10" and 55 years old. I would like to stay in touch with those of a similar situation.

I had a great experience so far and had my band done as an out pt. procedure. I was out at SAM's the very next morning and haven't had alot of pain. Today I did laundry and walked at the mall. I plan to return towork for awhile on Monday. I was fortunate to also have had it done laproscopically and had a great surgeon, Dr. David Provost. All I can say is so far so good!

Hello: I was banded 12/2 all went very well, actually went home the same day but it was late. Only pain I ever had was at the port sight, actually this still is tender. Liquid Lortab for pain control was really really bad, I struggled with that for two days then gave up on it. The taste of that was worst than the pain I was having. I am struggling getting enough liquids in each day and my Protein. The protein drinks/powder cause me to fill bloated for hours, then drinking anything just causes me to feel more uncomfortable. Just started eating some solid food (eggs) today that went very well. As others have mentioned my energy level is very low, i'm sure its from the lack of protein at this time. The last two days I have felt better but still have a was to go, I'm waiting to see what real food will do for this. I have already weighed in today and have lost 23 lbs since surgery. Good luck to everyone, remember it is a new process and learning curve for us. There will be bumps in the road along our journey. Learn, and gain knowledge on how to use our tool to help us through.

Hello Everybody!

It's great to see so many people joining the group. It's also great to hear that most of us are experiencing the same things (some worse than other though- sorry to hear about your experiences EquusEMS. You're doing great though 9lb already is Fantastic!)

Nate- I'm an Aussie too! I don't live there at the moment but totally understand the lb to kg conversion thing. Also when people are writing the date they were banded throws me off too as its backwards :) Where in Aus are you from?

I'm feeling great today- on a high. Don't know why. I still have some discomfort and get lots of gas pain when drinking Water but feel great :) Lets hope it lasts.

I'm off to the Dr's tomorrow to have my stitch out (over the port) and puncture holes re-dressed. I haven't started driving yet and its a long drive to the Dr's- 1.5 hours, so not sure if I should do it alone yet or wait for hubby to finish work and go down with the kids.

I go back to work on Monday but then its only 4 days of work for me and then 2 weeks off for Christmas holidays. YEAH!!

Take care everyone and hope we are all pain free soon.

i was banned december 8th! I feel ok. I am still taking the pain meds that were giving to me, I do have a tight feeling in my chest - I am not sure if it is a full feeling or gas. I am on liquids for a week then I move on the mushie foods. I am 5"5 and started out at 258. I lost about 20 pounds for the pre op diet. I am not 235. I am doing ok with the liquid diet - but I have removed myself from eating with the family for dinner, for now anyway..

Look foward to meeting all of you!! :rolleyes:

I too was banded on the 8th.. the gas is horrible.. and loud lol. just movin around waiting for it to come out cause i think i would feel a whole lot better if it just came out. I lost 16 lbs from the pre op diet then from the hospital fluids and whatever i was up on the scale... its coming back off now again but darn it. I am on Clear Liquids also until weds then move to the next stage. Good luck to you!

Hi,

My banding was just done this past Wednesday (12/8) so I'm not too far behind you. So far I've had no problems and have lost 5 lbs since Wednesday. I'm sore and get tired easily, but I am looking forward to knowing what my new life will be like in a few weeks/months. Best wishes on your continued recovery, and keep me in mind if you need a chat buddy.

Take care,

Nancy

Hello! I am trying to figure out this forum and how it all works so bear with me! I was banded Friday, Dec. 3rd and have about 85 lbs. to lose. Diabetes runs in my family and I felt like a time bomb and have never been able to keep the weight off. It just crept up and up. I am very active and want to be able to exercise without the aches and pains. I am 5' 10" and 55 years old. I would like to stay in touch with those of a similar situation.

I had a great experience so far and had my band done as an out pt. procedure. I was out at SAM's the very next morning and haven't had alot of pain. Today I did laundry and walked at the mall. I plan to return towork for awhile on Monday. I was fortunate to also have had it done laproscopically and had a great surgeon, Dr. David Provost. All I can say is so far so good!